GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Totally new! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=92162)

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 05:39 PM

Totally new!

Hey all,

I'm from England and as you may or may not know we do not have sororities over here! However, I spent my summer in the US and heard a little about Greek life. I really, really want to start up the first sorority in England. To find out more information someone recently recommended me to this forum to find out more but to be honest, I'm totally overwhelmed! I have no idea what anything means, what the abbreviations stand for that you use, what types of sororities there are, really what you guys do. I've been trying to search on here, but I've just been getting more and more confused! If anyone could direct me to the right pages, give me an overview of Greek life, help me out in advice for setting up the first sorority here in the UK I would appreciate it SO much. I really have no idea what I'm doing!! I just need some advice from all you guys :)

Thanks,

Sarah

Senusret I 12-12-2007 05:58 PM

You might want to try the books Bound By a Mighty Vow and In Search of Sisterhood for a historical context of sisterhood in American college sororities.

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:02 PM

Wonderful, thank you :)

Tom Earp 12-12-2007 06:11 PM

Hi Sarah, the problem with starting a new GLO there is the distance.

Impossible. Maybe a Alumni group would be the only way to go!

But, welcome to the GLO grouping!:)

LyonLuv 12-12-2007 06:28 PM

I think Delta Zeta has a chapter somewhere in the UK...Turtles,do you know?

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 1562300)

Ooo interesting, can you explain a little more? Why wouldn't I be able to create a sorority?

ree-Xi 12-12-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 1562300)

If she wants to create a new/first sorority of its kind in her country, how/why is it impossible? And how would an Alumnae group be appropriate?

To the original poster, good luck with your endeavor!

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonLuv (Post 1562306)

Oh I didn't know this, I will definitely look it up :)

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ree-Xi (Post 1562312)
If she wants to create a new/first sorority of its kind in her country, how/why is it impossible? And how would an Alumnae group be appropriate?

To the original poster, good luck with your endeavor!

Thanks very much, boy do I need the luck! My Student Union (who I have to go through to get this ok-ed) currently are being super weird, they just don't get the concept of sororities, and I don't think my explanation is doing them any justice :( I'm trying my hardest!

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonLuv (Post 1562306)

I've just been trying to look it up and so far I have had no luck. All I've found are the Delta Zeta at the University of Kentucky (UK!) haha. Not the right UK...

PhenomenalZTA 12-12-2007 06:46 PM

Good Luck!

Bound by a Mighty Vow is an EXCELLENT Book! I also highly recommend it!

I know that ZTA has a alumnae chapter in the UK. I know that is not much help though! Good luck in the journey!

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedrick (Post 1562325)
please dont spam

No offence, how is that spamming? Not trying to start an argument!

Thanks for the input, I'm just about to look up what an alumnae chapter is... hehe I really need to get more knowledge about things before I start this up!

AlethiaSi 12-12-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sarahmac (Post 1562320)
Thanks very much, boy do I need the luck! My Student Union (who I have to go through to get this ok-ed) currently are being super weird, they just don't get the concept of sororities, and I don't think my explanation is doing them any justice :( I'm trying my hardest!

To be honest, this doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I studied abroad in London, and no one had any idea what fraternities and sororities are.
I would gather as much information about the topic as possible, and through trying to understand these organizations yourself, teach others about them as well. It often takes a group of people (women, for sororities, but there are co-ed fraternities) to create recognition about a cause.
Good luck! if you have other questions that we can answer, please let us know :)
I think this is a great endeavor, a lot of hard work sure, especially from another country, but if you committed, it'll be ok. :)

1sarahmac 12-12-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlethiaSi (Post 1562335)
To be honest, this doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I studied abroad in London, and no one had any idea what fraternities and sororities are.
I would gather as much information about the topic as possible, and through trying to understand these organizations yourself, teach others about them as well. It often takes a group of people (women, for sororities, but there are co-ed fraternities) to create recognition about a cause.
Good luck! if you have other questions that we can answer, please let us know :)
I think this is a great endeavor, a lot of hard work sure, especially from another country, but if you committed, it'll be ok. :)

Thank you I really appreciate it :)

I was wondering, any ideas on how I would go abouts getting the name for my sorority? Do I just choose one which is already established? Do I have to get their consent? I'm a little confused (I know I sound absolutely ridiculous and really stupid)

TSteven 12-12-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sarahmac (Post 1562321)
I've just been trying to look it up and so far I have had no luck. All I've found are the Delta Zeta at The University of Kentucky (UK!) haha. Not the right UK...

What the deuce?

Go Cats!