GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

Xidelt 07-17-2010 05:45 PM

She should at the very least not be a rho gamma anymore!

GatorGirl27 07-23-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyj87 (Post 1955883)
My friend is an orientation leader and told me a very sad story. On the 2nd day of orientation all of the schools clubs put on a sort of clubs and organization fair.
A girl who African american (of color, back, i dont know what the PC term is right now.) girl came up to the panhellenic table and was asking questions. One of the rho gammas goes "oh no honey you want that table" and pointed to her to NPHC table.

:( This makes me so, so sad. When I went through recruitment, there was one African American girl in my rush group. Another girl in our group spent an uncomfortable amount of time on the first day asking her why she wanted to be in a "white" sorority, and wouldn't it be weird, she should try NPHC, etc. It was so appalling to overhear, and unfortunately it took our Pi Chis a little while to notice and put a stop to it (because the rest of us PNMs couldn't deter her as hard as we tried). Ugh.

groovypq 07-23-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

My friend is an orientation leader and told me a very sad story. On the 2nd day of orientation all of the schools clubs put on a sort of clubs and organization fair.
A girl who African american (of color, back, i dont know what the PC term is right now.) girl came up to the panhellenic table and was asking questions. One of the rho gammas goes "oh no honey you want that table" and pointed to her to NPHC table.

Great job picking those Rho Gammas this year vpm (i'm not bitter or anything hahaha).

My sister tells a story of how, at an officers' roundtable to discuss recruitment, someone from another chapter piped up, "How do you rush a black girl?" (there were all NPCs on our campus at the time.)

Admittedly, this girl was not the brightest crayon in the box, but my sister said her jaw and most others' just dropped.

GatorGirl27 07-23-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovypq (Post 1958029)
My sister tells a story of how, at an officers' roundtable to discuss recruitment, someone from another chapter piped up, "How do you rush a black girl?" (there were all NPCs on our campus at the time.)

Wow.... because obviously they're an entirely different breed of human? wtf. How do these people make it through college, let alone life?

Jill1228 07-23-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Great job picking those Rho Gammas this year vpm (i'm not bitter or anything hahaha).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xidelt (Post 1955959)

Exactly! Fire her ass!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorGirl27 (Post 1958027)
:( This makes me so, so sad. When I went through recruitment, there was one African American girl in my rush group. Another girl in our group spent an uncomfortable amount of time on the first day asking her why she wanted to be in a "white" sorority, and wouldn't it be weird, she should try NPHC, etc. It was so appalling to overhear, and unfortunately it took our Pi Chis a little while to notice and put a stop to it (because the rest of us PNMs couldn't deter her as hard as we tried). Ugh.

These are sad and appalling, but I hate to say it: I am not surprised :( SMH

XAntoftheSkyX 07-23-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

http://i25.tinypic.com/i4kfg0.jpg

DrPhil 07-23-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

A girl who African american (of color, back, i dont know what the PC term is right now.)

This is the only interesting thing in your post.

AGDee 07-28-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyj87 (Post 1955941)
I wish but I know the Rho Gamma and its not that surprising. :(
I know that the OL talked to the girl (the PNM) and the panhellenic VP was informed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1955944)
This girl just fails at life. What a close minded, little person. She should just hand in her human card right then and there.

Quote:

Whoa folks! Nobody knows what question she asked. Everybody is simply jumping to the conclusion that this was inappropriate. That potential new member could very well have asked questions about the Divine 9, etc. and it became obvious that she was actually for information on NPHCs. If she hadn't asked some questions first but was immediately directed to another area, that would be one thing, but the OP said that "after she asked some questions" the young woman was directed to another table.

mittens 07-28-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Agreed. That is so messed up on so many levels.

preciousjeni 07-28-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 1958077)
This is the only interesting thing in your post.

Glad I wasn't the only one who found that odd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 1959833)
Whoa folks! Nobody knows what question she asked. Everybody is simply jumping to the conclusion that this was inappropriate. That potential new member could very well have asked questions about the Divine 9, etc. and it became obvious that she was actually for information on NPHCs. If she hadn't asked some questions first but was immediately directed to another area, that would be one thing, but the OP said that "after she asked some questions" the young woman was directed to another table.

Agreed.

Psi U MC Vito 08-27-2010 12:30 AM

Come on, nothing from Rush season?

Drolefille 08-27-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 1975716)
Come on, nothing from Rush season?

It'll come.

Aerylle 08-27-2010 12:37 AM

I had a girl tell me she wasn't a thinker while rushing me.. >.>

Xylochick216 08-27-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerylle (Post 1975719)
I had a girl tell me she wasn't a thinker while rushing me.. >.>

That's not terribly odd. If you look at my Myers Briggs results, I'm an Feeler, not a Thinker. If she's talking about her personality type, not weird.

jennyj87 08-27-2010 11:26 AM

Not so much weird. Last night NPHC had "meet the greeks" but it wasn't very expained that it was for NPHC and those interested in SIA. Our chapter president told us to come and show support so about 10-15 girls from each NPC sorority came. There were a bunch of girls only interested in the NPC sororities.

Since recruitment is next week, we're obviously not allowed to talk to PNMs. We had so many girls coming up to us saying "Hi My names Britt-" and having to cut them off explaining that we're not allowed to talk to them outside the rooms. They looked confused.

One of my sisters told me that a girl she turned away went and talked to a member in another sorority who didn't turn her away. She was worried that the girl would think we lied to her or just didn't want to talk to her.