GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Recruitment Counselor Retreat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=66787)

Partnerincrime 05-22-2005 01:25 PM

Recruitment Counselor Retreat

I am the Panhellenic VP of Recruitment and I am trying to brainstorm ideas for the recruitment counselor retreat. Last year we went bowling, then stayed at a hotel where we had the actual training. We did other such things as candle passing, icebreakers, etc. I suppose I don't mind going bowling again, but I want to do something different for the girls who are being recruitment counselors again. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

aephi alum 05-22-2005 01:47 PM

I wish we'd had a retreat like that when I was a rho chi (showing my age here ;) ). We did have a retreat, but the main "fun" activity was watching chick flicks. Sitting around watching movies doesn't get people talking and interacting, plus chick flicks just aren't my thing.

You could go out to dinner as a group, or have a potluck dinner if people have access to cooking facilities. You could get some board games and a few decks of cards, and have a games night. You could go on a hike as a group, if the weather is ok and everyone is able and willing to do so.

Have fun. :)

PhoenixAzul 05-22-2005 03:03 PM

Two Words: High Ropes.

As a climber and camper, high ropes courses force people to not only communicate, but to bond and trust...plus there are always interesting stories to tell and it's relatively inexpensive to do, compared to buying hotel rooms and what have you. How many PX's will you have going?

roqueemae 05-22-2005 03:58 PM

We did arts and crafts (flower pens, decorated frames and whiteboards for the dorms, worked on gifts for the PNMs) and made up a skit to be performed at Recruitment Convocation.

Also one of the girls randomly brought some wigs she had at home and some of the girls played dress up.

We ate alot too!

Our retreat was held at a cabin about an hour away from campus.

Partnerincrime 05-22-2005 10:12 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas! There will be 35 PXs attending (including the Panhellenic eboard). The high ropes idea sounds cool. I don't know where one would be around Southern California though. Do you just run a general search on that type of stuff?

PhoenixAzul 05-22-2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Partnerincrime
Thanks for all of the ideas! There will be 35 PXs attending (including the Panhellenic eboard). The high ropes idea sounds cool. I don't know where one would be around Southern California though. Do you just run a general search on that type of stuff?
yes, most are built as "corporate teambuilding" or "adventure courses", but theyre in general pretty reliable.

Try this link...
Team Building in California

I just googled "High Ropes Course Southern California" and got a bunch of links.

ADPiZXalum 05-22-2005 11:16 PM

I was the ropes course director at a camp for a while and the low ropes are also very beneficial for team building. The highs are usually (depending on the element) geared more towards individual tasks while others cheer you on. The lows facilitate more cooperation and communication. You could also do a search for ropes courses OR look into some local camps. That would be SOOO much fun. Where I worked we always had small groups come in during the non summer months(all different types of groups from schools and other places even though it was a Baptist camp). We had anywhere from 20 to 200. Anyway, they stayed in cabins, had access to swimming and scheduled to do the ropes course. That is pretty cheap per person and gives lots of options. They usually have huge meeting rooms with access to tvs, vcrs, dvd players, dry erase boards, etc. I did a search for "camps Southern California and got a lot of results. THe only bad thing is that summer is HERE and you would have to wait until right before school started. Anyway, that seems like it would be fun, but I worked at one of these places for so long and made it fun for them. Good luck in your search! If you have any questions about how this camp idea might work, pm me.

Partnerincrime 05-22-2005 11:46 PM

Thanks for the information ADPi. The retreat will be during the school year (September 11-12 to be exact). Will the camp still be an option then? I think that would be a lot of fun.

Partnerincrime 05-22-2005 11:53 PM

To be as specific as possible, I am trying to find something as close to Malibu as possible. Even Los Angeles is alright, I suppose.

adpiucf 05-23-2005 10:27 AM

UCLA offers a ropes course. I had looked into that for a retreat when I advised the UCLA ADPi's.

When I was a PX, we went to a camp and had bonding games, including a special PX initiation. We made up a songs for PX, learned about being a PX, bonded, made s'mores and played typical outside games together.

Overall for the retreat, allow for lots of breaks, snacks and bonding. You might want to teach the PX's about the other sororities, review the recruitment process from Panhellenic's standpoint, and talk about sisterhood, friendship and what it means to be a good friend.

SigK_Bama 05-23-2005 10:35 AM

I would also involved activities that get all the PX's talking and interacting. When I was at my PX retreat, I was the only one from my chapter and wasn't really friends with the other girls, most of whom all seemed to be fairly close. Pairing them up by who you see as ones that may not be close aquaintances may help foster some friendships along the way. :)

emleepc 05-23-2005 10:52 AM

We had more than one retreat when I was a PX. One was held at a camp with ropes and other team-building activities. Also just a time to really get to know one another, away from the school aspect.
We held an overnight getaway at the school too, right before recruitment started. Everybody brought sleeping bags, food, and craft supplies to make our PX folders for our PNM groups. It was held in the Student Center---tons of fun!

Anytime you can get away with just the PX's is a great thing. It fosters new friendships and bonds you wouldn't get while at school. Good luck!!!

Also, if you want any poems/info to use with your PX's or PNM's, PM me.....

Partnerincrime 05-23-2005 11:36 AM

adpiucf- How did your group go about the PX initiation? That sounds really interesting!

Also, how did you go about contacting UCLA about the ropes course? Did you just call their office?

Thanks for all of your help!

Partnerincrime 05-23-2005 11:39 AM

Also, do any of you know of any icebreakers that work well for the PXs? I have an icebreaker book, which I have browsed through, but am having a difficult time finding one that I want to use. Thanks for all thoughts/help.

ADPiZXalum 05-23-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Partnerincrime
Thanks for the information ADPi. The retreat will be during the school year (September 11-12 to be exact). Will the camp still be an option then? I think that would be a lot of fun.
It's much more likely to be open/available that long after summer is over. I would call NOW though if you want to look into that. :)