GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

LaneSig 10-30-2018 10:43 AM

Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.

flirt5721 10-31-2018 12:58 PM

Theta Chi was installed this past weekend at New Mexico State. The have 14 brothers

Sciencewoman 10-31-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2462255)
Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.

Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized :), but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!

LaneSig 10-31-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2462291)
Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized :), but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!

It is Wayne State, and you are correct. I combined both WSUs and made a mistake.

LaneSig 11-01-2018 11:09 AM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on their recent charter at Illinois State University.

PKT4LIFE 11-01-2018 10:51 PM

Per Gamma Phi Beta 10/29/18 FB post, they are colonizing at the University of Kentucky in Fall 2019.

LaneSig 11-02-2018 10:08 AM

Congratulations to Pi Kappa Phi on their recent charter at Grand Valley State University(MI).

LXA SE285 11-02-2018 10:51 AM

Kappa Alpha Theta is closing its chapter at Ole Miss, according to the Daily Mississippian, the school newspaper. The article below quotes an email from Theta's national president.

http://thedmonline.com/theta-leaving-campus

AZTheta 11-02-2018 11:16 AM

Thank you LXA SE285 for sharing the news article which contains facts and direct quotes from internal communications (but when you send an email, all bets are off - right?). If people read the article they'll get a glimpse of what the Epsilon Zeta chapter has been up against for a very long time. Extensive fraternity support has not made a significant difference there, for reasons beyond anyone's control. This is a complex and complicated situation. Theta is not the first to pull a charter for low membership, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying to change outcomes. Anyone who knows anything about the Greek culture of Ole Miss isn't surprised at this closure.

Chapter closures are always painful and this one especially stings, not only for Kappa Alpha Theta, but for the Panhellenic community at Ole Miss. Other NPC sororities are going to look long and hard at this closure before submitting for extension.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. Everything happens for a purpose and a reason. blah blah blah.

celebcj 11-02-2018 01:07 PM

I really wonder how much the variable quota affected the chapter.
All the chapter sizes are quite large with pledge classes in the hundreds, so UM does really need the additional chapter, so this is a concerning loss.

Iota_JWH 11-02-2018 01:51 PM

It is so sad when a chapter closes for low membership when the overall numbers on that campus are high. This just shows how much the PNMs listen to "tent talk". I hope Thetas re-install their chapter in 5 years, but the culture at Ole Miss is not very welcoming.

OleMissGlitter 11-02-2018 03:54 PM

Theta--Ole Miss

It is all very sad in my opinion. My Panhellenic heart is sad. I'm sad for the women who are new members who have to decide if they want to be initiated or not now. I'm sad for the initiated sisters. I really think Theta could have made it at Ole Miss. I understand their Exec. Boards concerns. I know this was not something they just thought of doing last week. I almost hope Ole Miss Panhellenic extends them some sort of opportunity to return in 5 years. I too have wondered if variable quota hurt them. Also, the constant renovations and new additions to current chapter houses has been continuous. So just when you can keep up with the Joneses they refinance and renovate. You know how that old saying goes.

But I'm sad for the alumnae of EZ and the current collegiate members. My daughters would be Theta legacies too one day. I hope they return.

33girl 11-02-2018 06:00 PM

At least they will have some time to just enjoy their sisterhood and living together without the constant COBing and recruiting.

FSUZeta 11-02-2018 06:18 PM

Until the culture at Ole Miss changes (and can that really happen?) new groups will be vulnerable.

thetalady 11-02-2018 08:45 PM

As an alumna of the Theta chapter at Ole Miss, my heart is broken for myself and my sisters. The atmosphere among sororities AND fraternities at Ole Miss is nothing short of toxic. The tier system there is absolutely carved in stone and if you aren't on top, you are crapped on. The constant bullying and belittlement of Thetas on this campus has been unbelievable. Those women are incredibly strong to have risen above it for so long. No one at Ole Miss even knows what happened or remembers why Thetas became "that" house.

Frankly, I hope that Theta never returns to Ole Miss. The system there will not change just because they beat us down. This is the school where NPC nationals had to come in and hold a meeting of all sorority members to talk to them about how badly they all behaved toward one another just a few short years ago. Ever hear of that being done? The Greeks had to be instructed to be CIVIL to each other.

It didn't work.