GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2015/2016 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=148223)

AOII Angel 06-03-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOIILisa (Post 2316924)
AOII did present at Drexel last Friday, I attended along with some other alumnae. No word yet on who was chosen out of the three groups presenting.

Cool! How did we look?

DeltaBetaBaby 06-03-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDak (Post 2316937)
Give them a break.

I highly doubt that a large majority of us are considered 'official spokesperson(s)' for our national organizations. Most of our national organizations and campus Greek Life Offices would prefer that much of this information never made it into the public realm as it is.

Which is why the first post in this thread asks you to cite a source.

irishpipes 06-03-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOIILisa (Post 2316924)
AOII did present at Drexel last Friday, I attended along with some other alumnae. No word yet on who was chosen out of the three groups presenting.

Silly question perhaps:

Who did they present to? Isn't school out?

Cheerio 06-03-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishpipes (Post 2316980)
Silly question perhaps:

I love schools on the quarter system. Drexel school classes end June 8th.

AOIILisa 06-04-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2316945)
Cool! How did we look?

Let's just say that sending a southern woman to present at a northern school is a smart move (we love southern accents and liberal sprinklings of "y'alls" up here) - everyone liked the presentation from what I could tell - lots of smiles and really good questions from the students. The presentation was really polished, if I hadn't already been a member of AOII I would have wanted to join.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishpipes (Post 2316980)
Silly question perhaps:

As someone mentioned, Drexel's on the quarter system so the students were all still there. I believe this was their panhellenic since representatives from the sororities and fraternities all attended.

watch 06-04-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2316939)
The thing is, she's not speaking as a member of the organizations she purports to know so much about, or as a member of any organization, even. Saying "Well XYZ told me they're going to go national during rush last semester" is not a report I would put much faith in, no matter how well-intentioned the reporter might be. As an ADPi I would feel qualified to comment on any information I heard about our expansion movements, but as a PNM? Not so much.

She doesn't seem totally off base.

Quote:

“(Zeta Pi Omega) is looking at becoming a part of a national sorority,” Tamayo said. “They’re in the very beginning stages of the process.”
http://www.mpacorn.com/news/2014-01-..._at_CSUCI.html

Griffins&Quills 06-04-2015 12:11 PM

On twitter today, Alpha Sigma Tau announced they will be colonizing at University of Minnesota - Duluth and will be recolonizing their Delta Mu chapter at Cumberland University this fall.

https://twitter.com/alphasigmatau

Griffins&Quills 06-04-2015 12:19 PM

Also, regarding CSU Channel Islands, it may be true that ZPO is looking to nationally affiliate, but as the article says, they are in the very beginning stages. This thread is typically for officially announced campuses that are open for expansion and colonies that are confirmed.

shadokat 06-04-2015 04:08 PM

Funny thing is back in the day when ADPi colonized at University of Delaware, DPhiE presented as well. The differences were like night and day. ADPi was so southern and such, while DPhiE was very northern if you catch my drift. Bless our DPhiE hearts, they likely thought HA! Good luck AOPi. Drexel is a GREAT school to go Greek at. Since our DPhiE chapter started there 11 years ago, the campus and CPH have been awesome, and the advisors are also wonderful. Just a class act. Who else is presenting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOIILisa (Post 2317037)
Let's just say that sending a southern woman to present at a northern school is a smart move (we love southern accents and liberal sprinklings of "y'alls" up here) - everyone liked the presentation from what I could tell - lots of smiles and really good questions from the students. The presentation was really polished, if I hadn't already been a member of AOII I would have wanted to join.

As someone mentioned, Drexel's on the quarter system so the students were all still there. I believe this was their panhellenic since representatives from the sororities and fraternities all attended.

LaneSig 06-04-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2317057)
Funny thing is back in the day when ADPi colonized at University of Delaware, DPhiE presented as well. The differences were like night and day. ADPi was so southern and such, while DPhiE was very northern if you catch my drift. Bless our DPhiE hearts, they likely thought HA! Good luck AOPi. Drexel is a GREAT school to go Greek at. Since our DPhiE chapter started there 11 years ago, the campus and CPH have been awesome, and the advisors are also wonderful. Just a class act. Who else is presenting?

Delta Gamma and Sigma Delta Tau.

elizey7 06-04-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2317047)
Also, regarding CSU Channel Islands, it may be true that ZPO is looking to nationally affiliate, but as the article says, they are in the very beginning stages. This thread is typically for officially announced campuses that are open for expansion and colonies that are confirmed.

That article was written in like 2005 (or not too far from that year)

elizey7 06-04-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2316939)
The thing is, she's not speaking as a member of the organizations she purports to know so much about, or as a member of any organization, even. Saying "Well XYZ told me they're going to go national during rush last semester" is not a report I would put much faith in, no matter how well-intentioned the reporter might be. As an ADPi I would feel qualified to comment on any information I heard about our expansion movements, but as a PNM? Not so much.

The way you phrase that is really offensive. A lot of people on this site advise that, before rushing for a sorority, you do research. Have you ever thought that maybe the reason I know so much about this sorority is because I have done my research or maybe even rushed before?

AOII Angel 06-05-2015 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizey7 (Post 2317072)
The way you phrase that is really offensive. A lot of people on this site advise that, before rushing for a sorority, you do research. Have you ever thought that maybe the reason I know so much about this sorority is because I have done my research or maybe even rushed before?

You still are not in a position to know this information, and you certainly are not in a position to be relaying this information. IF the chapters are looking to affiliate with an NPC, there may be a VERY good reason not to announce said intentions just yet. You wouldn't know all of this because your research doesn't make you privy to the internal discussions of a private organization. Just take the advice. The standard clearly states that you can only post this type of news IF you have corroborating documentation. When you have that, feel free to come back and discuss it all you want.

ASTalumna06 06-05-2015 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2317046)
On twitter today, Alpha Sigma Tau announced they will be colonizing at University of Minnesota - Duluth and will be recolonizing their Delta Mu chapter at Cumberland University this fall.

https://twitter.com/alphasigmatau

Aw, I just came here to announce this.. thanks for providing the update! :)

AOIILisa 06-05-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2317057)

Thanks, shadowkat - Drexel can't go wrong with any of the groups presenting, although of course, I hope we get it - and I did see some girls in DPhiE letters when I was there. :D We are actually a northern sorority as far as where we were founded (Barnard in NYC) but then a few of the next chapters founded were in the south. Our presenter just happened to be from the south but they really liked her, it seemed.

Fun fact - the DPhiE HQ is a few blocks away from my office! :D