GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Does everyone get into a sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=2008)

conner123 09-07-2000 06:17 PM

Does everyone get into a sorority?

I am wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. I was told not to worry about getting into a sorority because, "Everony gets in" is this true or should I worry. There are 16 sororitys at this college is it possible to end up with no invitation at the end. All the apps are filled out and I have an accum gpa of 3.3 is this enough to be possitive I'll get in. Thanks

33girl 09-07-2000 08:50 PM

Wel, theoretically, once quota is set, everyone should get into a sorority. If there are 200 girls rushing and 250 available spots, theoretically there is a spot for everyone.

The key word is...THEORETICALLY!!

You might get into A sorority, but it might not be the one you wanted. Also you can be cross-cut, which means that after one of the rounds you pick A, B & C, but you get picked by X, Y & Z.

Look at it kinda like this way: if 12 girls go into the store and buy the same sweater, all the girls will have a sweater, but on some it might be too big, on some it might just look OK, and on some it might look wonderful.

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited September 07, 2000).]

mgdzkm433 09-08-2000 08:39 AM

33 is right. But I also want to comment on informal rush. My school doesn't have a formal rush in the fall. They only have formal in the spring (first sememster freshmen aren't allowed to rush, only second sememster). In an informal rush setting, the answer is 'NO'. In an informal setting, girls come to a rush party (or information night as some people might call it). We meet the prospective members and decide from there. There aren't any rules like there are with formal rush. If we don't feel that a girl would benifit our sorority, we don't have to offer her a bid. I personally like informal rush better, not becuse we don't have to offer bids, but because it's more layed back and because we end up seeing only the girls that are interested in us, where as with formal rush the first couple nights you're kept guessing. Informal isn't stressful for the girls either. Also, with formal rush, both the sorority AND girls can get (excuse my languaged) screwed. For example:

It's the last night, and we want prospect 1, 2, and 3. So we put them down in our number 1, 2, and 3 spots. Well we are sorority D, and the girls put down their top 3 as A, B, and C. And sororities A, B, and C put them down as their number 1, 2, and 3. WELL. . . that means that we didn't get ANY of out top 3 picks so we end up offering bids to our number 4, 5, and 6 and in this case, 4, 5, and 6, wanted A, C, and D. That means not everyone is happy, which I think is counterproductive. Ok, If you can follow what I just wrote, you're doing better than me cause I almost don't make sense. Anyway, I like informal better.

conner123 09-08-2000 09:31 AM

Rush starts on the 10th. I am a freshman and going to UW. Grades wise my accum gpa is 3.3, am I going to be a desirable candidate. I also was on the student council at my highschool. I know grades are a big deal what else do I need to focus on. I'm just wondering if I'm getting my hopes up. Also , last question, if I go with a sorority but it's not one of my top choices am I able to try get into a different one later. Thanks!

SoCalGirl 09-08-2000 09:53 AM

In my sorority, gpa is looked at the first night to see if a girl is a grade risk. But after that it is pretty much ignored. It only becomes important as a type of tie breaker. Of course if a girl has a phenominal gpa the chapter will be made aware of it, but it's not really a big deal. But then at my school, incoming freshman are EXPECTED to have 4.0!

Personality is the major thing in rush. The girls you meet are trying to figure out if you'll click with any girls in the chapter, even if it's not with the ones you talk to.

If you get a chapter that your not happy with, you can quit before you're initiated and still be eligible to join another one. But you'll have to wait a calender year.

I say go through rush! At the very least you could meet some great friends in your Rho Chi group. Talk about your experience in student council and any & all other activities; and most important- be yourself.

Just try to have fun. When I went through rush I kept telling myself that I was picking them & that I was in control. That way I wasn't as nervous because the sororities were trying to impress me and not the other way around.

Good Luck!

mgdzkm433 09-08-2000 10:37 AM

Grades are dependant upon what school and what sorority you are rushing. It is required by my Nationals that all girls have a 2.5 gpa, but my school required 2.7. It's been a while, so I think those are the right gpa's. I could be wrong. I know that some of the sororities at our school only required a 2.0, but then like I said, the school had a requirement as well, if the school's requirement is not met, then you can not rush.

As for can you rush another sorority if you decide that you don't like the one you picked. Well . . . there are some rules.

OK, if you are rushing a social sorority, you are initiated and you become a sister, then NO you can't join another social sorority. If you begin rush, you decide to drop out of rush, then you can decide to rush another sorority, but you will probably have to wait till the next semester. If you rush a social and become initiated than you CAN join a professional/honor sorority. If you rush a professional and become iniatiated, you can NOT join another professional of the same kind (ex. join one music org. then rush another music org.). If you rush a professional and become initiated, then change your major, you CAN rush another professional as long as it's different (ex. music then math). If you rush a Honor and join, you CAN join as many honor orgs. as you like. SOOOOOO. . . to make it short . . . you can only be initiated to ONE social sorority, As Many Honors as you like, and Any professional as long as you are in that profession, but never two of the same profession. Got it? LOL.

theXgirl 09-12-2000 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
33 is right...
It's the last night, and we want prospect 1, 2, and 3. So we put them down in our number 1, 2, and 3 spots. Well we are sorority D, and the girls put down their top 3 as A, B, and C. And sororities A, B, and C put them down as their number 1, 2, and 3. WELL. . . that means that we didn't get ANY of out top 3 picks so we end up offering bids to our number 4, 5, and 6 and in this case, 4, 5, and 6, wanted A, C, and D. That means not everyone is happy, which I think is counterproductive. Ok, If you can follow what I just wrote, you're doing better than me cause I almost don't make sense. Anyway, I like informal better.

mgdzkm433,
Thanks for the laugh! I understood what you said because I have been the victim of Bid matching! As in doing the actual matching.. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif
X girl

CutiePie2000 09-12-2000 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by conner123:
I am wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. I was told not to worry about getting into a sorority because, "Everony gets in" is this true or should I worry
The statement "Everyone gets in" must be qualified. The majority of rushees will receive a bid (i.e. an invitation) to join a sorority, but NOT NECESSARILY from any of the ones that they wanted.