GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Intro to my Sorority Recruitment Experience (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=213997)

purplelily 01-24-2016 12:05 AM

Intro to my Sorority Recruitment Experience

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to using Greekchat, although I've been reading recruitment stories and threads for years. I've always wanted to post my story about my sorority recruitment experience, and now that I have some free time, I'm going to do that. I've always loved reading the super in-depth, descriptive, and dramatic sorority recruitment stories for fun, and I'm hoping you all will get some enjoyment out of reading mine.

A little background information: I'm a freshman, who went through formal sorority recruitment this past fall. I go to a large university where Greek life is a huge focus of the social life of the school. Since I'm going to be very open about my experience and reveal a lot of things about it, I think it would be best if I didn't name my school.

~ Purple Lily

purplelily 01-24-2016 12:27 AM

All right, here we go. So, I have been exciting about joining a sorority since the beginning of time. I was born a sorority girl, as stupid as that sounds. So in the year or so leading up to recruitment, I did my research. In fact, I did too much research. I looked up all the Panhellenic sorority chapter's (at my university) social media, and consulted other sources on the internet to learn as much as I could about the chapters at my school so I would be completely "prepared" for recruitment. Unfortunately, by the time recruitment rolled around, I already had a huge bias. I had a list of chapters that I wanted or expected to be in. I also had a list of chapters that I felt were "below" me, and did not want to be in. I thought this previous knowledge would help me make decisions during recruitment when everything is so hectic, but instead it gave me expectations that somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew would backfire on me.

The school I go to has a pretty competitive sorority recruitment. It draws in hundreds and hundreds of girls but only has 14 Panhellenic sororities to place them in. Personally, I didn't think I would have any issue with recruitment. Although I was biased, I was not planning on dropping out of recruitment, no matter the odds, so in that way, I was pretty open-minded. I had a less than stellar grade point average (3.0), but I met the suggested minimum to go through (which was a 3.0). I also am a very friendly, bubbly, and sweet girl and I take care in my appearance. I was lucky enough to have many recommendations from family friends, as well.

Okay, background information rant = over. Now onto my recruitment story!

DZ_Turtle86 01-24-2016 01:36 AM

Here we go!