GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UNR fraternity suspended and under investigation for FB material (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245273)

PKT4LIFE 11-10-2018 03:41 PM

UNR fraternity suspended and under investigation for FB material

I wonder how many Greek organizations have secret social media accounts.

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...500196691.html

Titchou 11-10-2018 04:24 PM

Disgusting.

LaneSig 11-10-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE (Post 2462533)
I wonder how many Greek organizations have secret social media accounts.

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...500196691.html

I would say the vast majority of fraternity chapters have secret social media accounts, whether they be on FB, GroupMe, or some other account.

Kevin 11-10-2018 07:55 PM

Private social media groups are a pretty useful way to communicate. These are basement songs. I know some basement songs which are pretty profane, but don't suggest any sort of unwanted sexual contact.

I'm sure every fraternity has basement songs. I can't see how a public university has the power to do anything to a group for maintaining songs meant for private consumption. TKE, on the other hand, can do what it wants.

PhilTau 11-10-2018 08:36 PM

I am certainly not defending this behavior. My experiences are from a bygone era - though I suspect some current fraternity actives act (to their discredit) as if it was still acceptable behavior, if it ever was.

I was always kind of embarrassed when (after a lot of drinking) we'd sing these "basement" songs at our formals with our dates present. Long after graduating, I discovered that the songs I thought were original to my fraternity were actually songs traditionally and profanely sung by sailors in the U.S. Navy -- likely imported/borrowed by navy veterans who joined our chapter after serving in Vietnam.

Also - before social media, our actives used pledge books to communicate profane and (in hindsight) juvenile and embarrassing thoughts to each other. But our chapter was smart - after pledging ended the books were gathered up and burned. With social media, can't really do that.

Kevin 11-10-2018 09:04 PM

Again in their defense, college should be a time when it is not the end of the world if one says (not does) something stupid and/or offensive. The very idea that the University sees fit to "investigate" speech they have no power to regulate is just offensive to me.

What your members did burning the old books was definitely the right move, but the impetus for such good acts should come from within the organization, not from the outside.

33girl 11-11-2018 03:52 AM

I want to know who the dumbass was looking at this on a school computer when every college kid these days has a smartphone.

Kevin 11-11-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2462543)
I want to know who the dumbass was looking at this on a school computer when every college kid these days has a smartphone.

And how they don't know to log out of stuff when on a public computer? Yeah. It's almost like they wanted this stuff to be found.

ASTalumna06 11-11-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2462545)
And how they don't know to log out of stuff when on a public computer? Yeah. It's almost like they wanted this stuff to be found.

Perhaps they did.

shadokat 11-12-2018 02:02 PM

If you want something to be a secret, don't post it on the damn internet!!!

naraht 11-13-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2462540)
Private social media groups are a pretty useful way to communicate. These are basement songs. I know some basement songs which are pretty profane, but don't suggest any sort of unwanted sexual contact.

I'm sure every fraternity has basement songs. I can't see how a public university has the power to do anything to a group for maintaining songs meant for private consumption. TKE, on the other hand, can do what it wants.

Not just Social Fraternities, I ran into to a few for Alpha Phi Omega, both a song verse by the male brothers, but a revenge verse by the female brothers!

Kevin 11-14-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2462593)
Not just Social Fraternities, I ran into to a few for Alpha Phi Omega, both a song verse by the male brothers, but a revenge verse by the female brothers!

Isn't that so much better than pearl clutching?

*winter* 11-15-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2462568)

This should be taught in all schools lol

naraht 11-16-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2462568)

And the internet is forever. Always nice finding something you posted as an undergrad in 1989!

kempk 11-17-2018 01:15 PM

“rape culture in them and just sexual objectification of women”. This would cover many popular songs listened to by current college students, Greek and non greek. Selective outrage by both the school and the student.