GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Door chants (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=129351)

XOtillIdieO 09-13-2012 09:42 AM

Door chants

I'm curious to know which chapters/schools do door chants?

We don't do them at Florida State, so when I first heard of them from friends at different colleges, I was flabbergasted. I looked up youtube videos of some and was even more stunned! :eek: What exactly is the point of door chants?

KDCat 09-13-2012 01:08 PM

I always thought door chants were really silly, but they really do get your energy up for the party. It also gets the PNMs going.

ChioLu 09-13-2012 01:37 PM

All the chapters do door chants at Tulsa University: Chi O, Tri Delt, Phi Mu (sadly, chapter closed), KD, Kappa, DG, Theta -- the order on sorority row, from closest to campus, to furthest.

At the end of day, every house had to shut their front door within a certain time of the last party being over (within minutes or it was a Rush infraction).

But, Panhell said NUTHIN' about windows! Since Chi O was the closest to campus and all the PNMs (or "Rushees" at that time) had to pass by our house to get back to the dorms, we would open up the windows on the north-side of the house and sing as loudly as we could so the Chi O song was the last thing they heard.

We were always sneaky like that ... :D

kaeb 09-13-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low C Sharp (Post 2177866)
the chapters and PNMs are happy

haha I don't know if I'd say that. We didn't have to do them this year, but I know our girls wanted to do one parties' worth of hair-flipping... not however many parties there ended up being plus all the practice that needs to go into it! I don't think the actives love doing it, but it's the status quo. From what I understand, it's kind of physically painful.

DeltaBetaBaby 09-13-2012 01:49 PM

Oh, I can still sing quite a few of them:

K-A-P-P-A D-E-L-T-A, Kappa Delta, Kappa Delta!
Pi Beta Phi for you, Pi Beta Phi for me!
A-Chi-O, Alpha Chi let's go!

thetalady 09-13-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaeb (Post 2177926)
haha I don't know if I'd say that. We didn't have to do them this year, but I know our girls wanted to do one parties' worth of hair-flipping... not however many parties there ended up being plus all the practice that needs to go into it! I don't think the actives love doing it, but it's the status quo. From what I understand, it's kind of physically painful.

Good Lord!! I have never seen this hair flipping phenomenon before! :eek:

Hair flippers at USC Alpha Phi chapter

Texas_DG 09-13-2012 03:06 PM

University of Texas at Austin did them. (No hair flipping that I remember) Scared the beejesus out of me at the first house I went to - they were banging their blinds/shutters, screaming, etc. Yikes!

I can still chant so many of them and I can still remember being hoarse from practice my first year on the "other side." But, I also remember walking across campus and randomly getting someone else's sorority chant stuck in my head!

With a D, with an E, with an L, T, A - with a G,A,M,M,A - a Delta Gamma, that's what I am-a.

Chi Omega, Chi, Chi, Chi-Omega, Hello, we're glad you're here, we hope you go Chi-O.

Pi, Pi Beta, Pi, Pi, Pi Beta Phi

Theta, theta, theta, theta. It's good to be a, got to be a, Kappa Alpha Theta.

We only did the door chants for Open House, and 1st round. For skit night and pref we sang, but no chanting.

ETA: Yikes! After viewing the hair flipping that seems crazy! We could NOT cross the threshold of our doors when we were chanting - rush fines! We piled up/used risers, etc. to fill up the door, but we couldn't be outside the doors at all.

HQWest 09-13-2012 03:15 PM

I have never seen the hair flipping. That would almost be worth cutting your hair short.....

KillarneyRose 09-13-2012 03:32 PM

Oh, my chapter did the door chants big time! We had an advantage over the other sororities (we were all housed in one 10 story dorm) because we were on the second floor so we had a ten foot ledge that we all stood out on when we did the chants and our big mouths could drown out everyone else :)

I am a D
I am a Z
I am a D-E-L-T-A-Z-E-T-A
and I will L-O-V-E love
my S-I-S-T-E-R-S
we'll be together F-O-R-E-V-E-R-M-O-R-E

over and over and over....

By the Light of the Lamp
By the Light of the Lamp
By the bright, shiny light, by the Light of the Lamp
If you wanna be a DZ, just come along with me
By the bright, shiny Light of the Lamp
Yee Ha!

Good Times :)

ellebud 09-13-2012 04:07 PM

I will never forget the first chant that I heard when I rushed at USC. When my youngest went through she was prepared but it is daunting.

As for hair flipping...my daughter's neck began to hurt. There is an "art" to doing it correctly.

NutBrnHair 09-13-2012 04:45 PM

I believe they still do them at Alabama and Birmingham-Southern College.

NutBrnHair 09-13-2012 04:49 PM

I consider a door chant when the front door slings open and you see nothing but screaming faces... the girls at the bottom of the door are on their stomachs and the next row leans on them and next, girls are on their knees, then squatting, standing and finally on other girls shoulders.

I thought this mainly evolved when the 1991 NPC Rush Guidelines were handed down with no outside decorations or performances.

ggforever 09-13-2012 05:09 PM

It made my neck hurt just looking at the YourTubes. Thanks for sharing!!

Titchou 09-13-2012 05:55 PM

Stacking a door properly is an art form.

IUHoosiergirl88 09-13-2012 05:59 PM

We do door chants at IU sans hair-flipping

Ours is Boom Boom