GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   University of Arizona Spring 2013/Fall 2013 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=131848)

AZTheta 01-20-2013 09:43 PM

University of Arizona Spring 2013/Fall 2013

Total at the University of Arizona has been raised to 220 (it was at 200).

There is an informational fair on Thursday January 24 2013 for Spring Recruitment. There's also a link to sign up for information on Alpha Chi Omega's ucoming colonization (Fall 2013). Details can be found here.

Not sure how many chapters will participate in Spring Recruitment, but it won't be formally structured like Fall Recruitment.

BAckbOwlsgIrl 01-20-2013 10:10 PM

Lame question here, yet kind of obvious for the casual observer...

Why did they raise total, knowing that there chapters below it on top of bringing back Alpha Chi Omega?
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep total where it is with Alpha Chi Omega coming back on? Or is there a large gap between those at the new total and those below it?

How many are below it?

This all just seems wrong; raise total and bring on a colony. Chapters will be competing for members like never before. For those chapters that are below and those who are over, it will/could deepen the tiers at Arizona.

I heard about this at Arizona before and I just don't like it. I hope that I am wrong but Arizona has done similar stuff like this before with disastrous consequences.

The only benefit that I can see is that it will give more women an opportunity to be involved, especially those who participated in Fall recruitment with its heavy cuts.

DubaiSis 01-20-2013 10:22 PM

If you're following RFM, you adjust total to match chapter average after every rush, which means (duh) some chapters will be above, and some will be below. Also, I think it's common for systems to increase total just before a colony comes on, to give the chapters a last opportunity to pick up girls they weren't able to take during formal. I'm not a believer in this method - if you have need for a colony it's because you don't want total to increase - but from reading GC over the years, it seems the common process.

irishpipes 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

If total is below the actual size of many chapters, raising it actually can help the smaller chapers. They can now bid up to a number closer to the actual size of the other chapters rather than being limited during COB to an artificially low total.

33girl 01-21-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishpipes (Post 2198936)
If total is below the actual size of many chapters, raising it actually can help the smaller chapers. They can now bid up to a number closer to the actual size of the other chapters rather than being limited during COB to an artificially low total.

Exactly...say there are 5 chapters, 4 of them are over total at 225 and one is under total at 180, this gives the under total one a chance to catch up before the colony gets there. They don't usually do this unless the majority of chapters are over total to begin with.

AXOrushadvisor 01-21-2013 09:48 AM

Interesting. There are, I believe, 2 groups that are below total but I don't know how far below. I wasn't given that information. This could mean that a lot more chapters would participate in spring recruitment especially for those chapters that were sitting right around 200.

AZ theta did you get my email?

AZTheta 01-21-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor (Post 2198938)
Interesting. There are, I believe, 2 groups that are below total but I don't know how far below. I wasn't given that information. This could mean that a lot more chapters would participate in spring recruitment especially for those chapters that were sitting right around 200.

AZ theta did you get my email?

I'll do some asking to see how many groups will participate this spring.

AXOrushadvisor - just responded, more to come!

AXOrushadvisor 01-21-2013 05:18 PM

^^AZTheta someone told me today that all the Chapters but 3 would be participating in spring recruitment but I don't know how accurate that is. If that was the case there will be lots of opportunity for girls who didn't get a Chapter in the fall.

AZTheta 01-21-2013 09:56 PM

^^^ I've got a few phone calls out to get an answer, still waiting on call backs.

As for opportunity for those who didn't get a chapter in the fall: maybe, maybe not. You know as well as I do that if Patty PNM didn't get her first choice (translation: the chapter(s) she thought she deserved but didn't get invited to) then she isn't going to try again, unless she's actually seen what she's missed out on this past fall semester while living in the dorms; OR, has come to realize that the tent talk is complete BS and that truly every chapter at Uofa is amazing.