GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NPC database? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247194)

gossipgirl1271 07-27-2020 07:09 PM

NPC database?

hey everyone. me again. Random question: is there an npc database that shows every member and their affiliation? I know every sorority individually has a database, but does the NPC as a whole have one?

carnation 07-27-2020 07:17 PM

For what? To catch sneaky kids trying to get into a second sorority?

honeychile 07-27-2020 07:19 PM

I really don't think that would be ethical, at best. At worst... YIKES!!

gossipgirl1271 07-27-2020 07:25 PM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2477510)
For what? To catch sneaky kids trying to get into a second sorority?

Good god. Every single post of your's "carnation" is so negative! Do you just spend 24 hours lurking on this site?? Please reevaluate yourself! I asked a simple question.

Does the NPC have a national database? I'm curious to look at the lineage of my grandparents. I know they were in Greek life, but nobody can remember or has records of what they were in. They passed away and my mom (single parent) has no idea.

There? Does help you carnation? Having to give my whole life story to get an answer to my question? Good god

carnation 07-27-2020 07:28 PM

Please re-evaluate yourself? Get a grip on your self-importance. I've been on this site for 20 years and am unimpressed. :rolleyes:

thetalady 07-27-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gossipgirl1271 (Post 2477509)
hey everyone. me again. Random question: is there an npc database that shows every member and their affiliation? I know every sorority individually has a database, but does the NPC as a whole have one?

No, there is no single NPC database.

Carnation is a "super moderator" here, which means that she is one of the people in charge. You really don't want to piss her off. :rolleyes:

honeychile 07-27-2020 07:42 PM

You can understand that a full NPC database wouldn't be a great idea. But if you're interested in finding out about your grandparents, start out where they went to college, then which sororities & fraternities were on campus for the years they were. Chances are that you will have whittled it down quite a bit.

gossipgirl1271 07-27-2020 08:07 PM

Sorry if I angered people. I got frustrated. My life story is quite alot, as I'm sure you can tell. It's touchy for me. I just wanted a simple answer to a question.

Anyways, Why would it be a bad idea for a full NPC database? I thought it would be a great idea and we could get more people involved as alum.

Titchou 07-27-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gossipgirl1271 (Post 2477524)
Sorry if I angered people. I got frustrated. My life story is quite alot, as I'm sure you can tell. It's touchy for me. I just wanted a simple answer to a question.

Anyways, Why would it be a bad idea for a full NPC database? I thought it would be a great idea and we could get more people involved as alum.

Because each member signs to allow their group to maintain their information - not the rest of the world. FERPA and HIPPA rules come to mind.

gossipgirl1271 07-27-2020 09:11 PM

interesting thought! I thought it would have been a great way to create a more Panhellenic community idk. I didn't even think about HIPPA or privacy policies. I guess I will have to contact the school or each sorority individually for information.

Thanks everyone.

Titchou 07-27-2020 10:17 PM

Does your mom know any of your grandparents' friends? Other relatives in their generation? Those might be places to start.

Cheerio 07-27-2020 10:18 PM

Some universities make their yearbooks available to peruse online.

thetalady 07-27-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gossipgirl1271 (Post 2477524)

I am curious how a database of all NPC alumnae would encourage involvement as alumnae?

dvs-dz 07-28-2020 07:44 PM

Do you know what college/university your grandparents attended and a guess as to the years there? As suggested above, I think your best chance of finding out their organizations would be to look through the college yearbooks.

They may have been in local Greek organizations, in which case an NPC database would not be helpful to you.

Good luck!

AZTheta 07-29-2020 04:38 AM

Here's an approach to answering your question that might work: "work backwards" from the information you have. Narrow your field/scope of inquiry. Define the problem and simplify the parameters.

Starting point for me would be to look at published obituaries (often those will contain a reference to greek membership). Then I'd move on to what college(s) grandparents attended, and what years, to find out what sororities/fraternities were active on campus at that time. Check yearbooks online. Check alumnae associations. Contact HQ for various sororities/fraternities active on those campuses with politely worded letters (or emails) explaining your genealogy search and requesting information as to whether any members are in their database that have the same name. And so on.

There's a plethora of information on the internet. You have some time on your hands (don't we all? 2020 just sucks, thanks, Covid-19) and it's an interesting rabbit hole to fall down. There are some members here on GC who are well versed in research and may have other suggestions on what to pursue in your quest for information on your grandparents. Just apply research methodology (assuming you have been taught that in college) and you may find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This isn't the instant answer you seek; IMO it's much more rewarding to actually engage in thinking and problem solving. Aside: did you know that certain areas of the human brain are atrophying due to reliance on technology? Yeah. It's true. You can google it (hahaha I'm so funny).

A final word of advice: be patient, polite, persistent. When you want honey, don't kick the beehive.