GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Phi Alpha (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Am I too old? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=111818)

AirForce01 02-27-2010 06:23 AM

Am I too old?

Hello everyone. I have a question about my age and joining an undergraduate chapter of a NPHC org. After High School I joined the military where I spent many years working as an Air Traffic Controller. After I separated from the military despite having job offers, I decided to go College and become an attorney. So, with that being said I am now 26 years old. Am I too old to join? Should I wait until I graduate?

Thanks for your time.

Little32 02-27-2010 03:29 PM

Which do you want to join? Alpha, Kappa, Omega, Sigma? And why are you slighting the Iotas? :giggle:

AirForce01 02-27-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little32 (Post 1902159)
Which do you want to join? Alpha, Kappa, Omega, Sigma? And why are you slighting the Iotas? :giggle:

After reading some of the previous threads on this forum, it appears that declaring which organization you want to join isn't smart. However I have done my research, just finished reading a book called the Divine 9, and I know for certain which organization I want to join. Undergrad or Grad. I did not mean to slight the Iotas, I read about their history as well, but they dont have a chapter at the school that I will be attending. Thanks again for you time.

als463 02-27-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirForce01 (Post 1902169)
After reading some of the previous threads on this forum, it appears that declaring which organization you want to join isn't smart. However I have done my research, just finished reading a book called the Divine 9, and I know for certain which organization I want to join. Undergrad or Grad. I did not mean to slight the Iotas, I read about their history as well, but they dont have a chapter at the school that I will be attending. Thanks again for you time.

Excuse me for the lane swerve. AirForce01, let me first thank you, as former military myself, for your service to our country. I think the reason she asked that was because in the NPHC, you are expected to choose one specific organization you want and work toward getting into that organization, not look at a few. While looking around may seem like a good idea, in the NPHC, I think it is seen as disrespectful.

All of the NPHC organizations have something incredible to offer, so I can see how you would be wanting to look at all of them. Generally, in the NPHC, from what I have read on here and learned from friends who are members of it, you are not too old to at least consider an Alum chapter. I'm sure you might also possibly find a collegiate chapter that would be happy to have you as a member.

I would say, so you don't offend anyone on here, to go and find ONE specific organization you want to go after. Once you do that, you will hopefully find a home. Good Luck!

Senusret I 02-27-2010 04:35 PM

Befriend the members. You'll have your answer.

DrPhil 02-27-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1902170)
I think the reason she asked that was because in the NPHC, you are expected to choose one specific organization you want and work toward getting into that organization, not look at a few. While looking around may seem like a good idea, in the NPHC, I think it is seen as disrespectful.

All of the NPHC organizations have something incredible to offer, so I can see how you would be wanting to look at all of them.

All of this depends on what the aspirant does when he/she is researching and looking at a few. Discretion and moderation are key. Everyone doesn't have to know your thought process or research guide. It also depends on campus dynamics.

You can attend programs for different orgs without being an instant interest and aspirant. If you are brown nosing and getting in good with every org then, yeah, people are going to think you just want to be GREEK. Also, (even in the pre-1990 and pre-1980 days on many campuses) you don't want to be known as an indecisive flip flopper or a drop-out from different orgs' lines. Dropping line from one org and crossing another is generally more scoffed at now than it was back then for a few reasons.

Professor 03-02-2010 08:40 AM

I disagree - I think it is good to do your homework and know what an organization is about before seeking membership. Perhaps thats why we have so many inactive memebers. Undergrad membership has its benefits and I certainly would encourage any person to move forward. Your maturity, experiences, and perspectives may enhance any college chapter. Regardless of your choice, I'm wishing you well in your pursuit.
Quote:

Excuse me for the lane swerve. AirForce01, let me first thank you, as former military myself, for your service to our country. I think the reason she asked that was because in the NPHC, you are expected to choose one specific organization you want and work toward getting into that organization, not look at a few. While looking around may seem like a good idea, in the NPHC, I think it is seen as disrespectful.

All of the NPHC organizations have something incredible to offer, so I can see how you would be wanting to look at all of them. Generally, in the NPHC, from what I have read on here and learned from friends who are members of it, you are not too old to at least consider an Alum chapter. I'm sure you might also possibly find a collegiate chapter that would be happy to have you as a member.

I would say, so you don't offend anyone on here, to go and find ONE specific organization you want to go after. Once you do that, you will hopefully find a home. Good Luck!

als463 03-02-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 1903111)
I disagree - I think it is good to do your homework and know what an organization is about before seeking membership. Perhaps thats why we have so many inactive memebers. Undergrad membership has its benefits and I certainly would encourage any person to move forward. Your maturity, experiences, and perspectives may enhance any college chapter. Regardless of your choice, I'm wishing you well in your pursuit.

I'm sorry. I guess I didn't make myself clear. Thank you for clarifying, though. Yes, I think the OP should check out the other organizations and do his homework, first. Unlike the NPC, where you go through rush/ recruitment in a different way, it is expected (from what I understand) to hone in on just one organization. That is once you've done your homework. I'm sure that entails looking at the national organization webpages, as well as, talking to friends in each of those organizations.

Either way, I hope you get a chance to become a member of your choice of NPHC. I'm sure it will be worth it.

Little32 03-02-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirForce01 (Post 1902169)

Then why did you post your question in all of the fraternity forums? To me it read like, I will try to pledge which ever one says I am not too old; not like you had done your research and knew which one you wanted to pursue. That aside, I would urge you to follow Sen's advice and wish you luck in your pursuit.

AirForce01 03-02-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little32 (Post 1903128)
Then why did you post your question in all of the fraternity forums? To me it read like, I will try to pledge which ever one says I am not too old; not like you had done your research and knew which one you wanted to pursue. That aside, I would urge you to follow Sen's advice and wish you luck in your pursuit.

I only posted in all forums to get more responses. I wasn't sure if the members read any forums outside of their own. I certainly wasn't trying to disrespect anyone or their organization. I apologize if I offended anyone. I know which organization I want to join, hopefully I can do it undergrad, but if not, I'm ok with joining grad chapter. Thanks for your response.

b12av8 03-12-2010 02:00 AM

Well, you were a controller? There is a chance that I was one of your instructors, then! No kidding. I was an instructor at Cody Hall from Jul 05 (hello, Katrina!) to Oct 08. I taught both tower and radar. In fact, I was an I.S. for the radar course. What is your name? And no, you are never too old! I am going to be a total frat boy when I retire!

CDancer20 04-03-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

There is nothing disrespectful about researching the other D9s. Before you decide which one you want to join, you should take the time to find out what each is about and what each stands for. You should not want to join a greek letter org because of hype or what other people tell you to do. He did the right thing researching each group before making his choice of which to pursue.

Now as far as being too old, my aunt just graduated a couple of years ago with her BA. she is in her 50s or 60s. During her time there, she actually joined the undergrad chapter of a NPHC sorority.

als463 04-06-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDancer20 (Post 1913844)
There is nothing disrespectful about researching the other D9s. Before you decide which one you want to join, you should take the time to find out what each is about and what each stands for. You should not want to join a greek letter org because of hype or what other people tell you to do. He did the right thing researching each group before making his choice of which to pursue.

Now as far as being too old, my aunt just graduated a couple of years ago with her BA. she is in her 50s or 60s. During her there, she actually joined the undergrad chapter of a NPHC sorority.

CDancer20, thank you for adding to this. I don't know as much about the NPHC as NPHC members but, I am willing to learn. Hopefully the OP gets into an NPHC organization because I feel that going Greek was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It really is a lifelong commitment.

It is also great to hear about your aunt. That is proof that this is really a lifelong commitment. That makes me happy to hear things like that. Good for her for having such drive.

CDancer20 04-07-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1914317)
CDancer20, thank you for adding to this. I don't know as much about the NPHC as NPHC members but, I am willing to learn. Hopefully the OP gets into an NPHC organization because I feel that going Greek was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It really is a lifelong commitment.

It is also great to hear about your aunt. That is proof that this is really a lifelong commitment. That makes me happy to hear things like that. Good for her for having such drive.

I am not an NPHC either but after talking to some and reading posts/articles throughout the web, including this site, it answers a lot of questions.

ladygreek 04-07-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDancer20 (Post 1913844)
Now as far as being too old, my aunt just graduated a couple of years ago with her BA. she is in her 50s or 60s. During her time there, she actually joined the undergrad chapter of a NPHC sorority.

Why?