GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UT Austin rush (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=232307)

SarahE 07-23-2017 06:04 PM

UT Austin rush

Hey everyone! I'm an out of stater just returning from orientation. Never was interested in sorority life but after hearing all the buzz about recruitment at orientation, I'm gonna go for it!

Do you all think it's a real disadvantage to be starting so late on registration and all?? The talk at orientation puts the houses like this: PiPhi, Kappa, Theta, Tri Delta, Chi O, Zeta, APhi, AXO, AEPhi, DG, KD, ADPi, AZD, SDT

What are the strongest houses at UT to consider as an out of state student? I'm going to start getting rec letters together but do I really need to have them for the lower houses? I think I can skip AEPHI and SDT because I'm not Jewish. Thanks in advance for the help!!

BlueCarnation 07-23-2017 06:13 PM

You may want to look around this site a bit and read some of the threads for PNMs...I'm sure you're going to get some responses and if you really are serious about going through recruitment, well, then, good luck. Just know that there are representatives of all the sororities on here and it's kind of bad form to refer to any of them as "lower" or anything like that. Think about how you would feel if you and your friends were labeled as such. You'd be very lucky to be in ANY sorority at UT or any other school, and if you ask someone for a recommendation and refer to her sorority as "lower," you're probably going to be out of luck.

DaffyKD 07-23-2017 06:26 PM

You need to be prepared for recruitment AND have an opened mind. Tiers are the imagination of someone but I personally have no idea who. All chapters are wonderful. Each chapter of each sorority is different than every other chapter of that sorority. There are different women in each chapter and everyone of those women are different. Now, multiply each personality by the number of chapters on every campus and then multiply that by 26 NPC sororities. You may be comfortable with ABC on the U of State A while you'd be a better fit with XYZ had you attended U of State B.

Don't rule out houses because of their religious founding. You just may find your best fit is at that house. I AM Jewish but I belong to a house that was not founded on Jewish practices. Had there been a Jewish based house on campus when I attended, would I have joined them instead? Who knows.

Get your recommendations in line, have at least 1, maybe 2 for every house, have an open mind. Make your own decisions as to where you are most comfortable, don't base your decisions on tent talk. Member, numerous personalities.

DaffyKD

Sciencewoman 07-23-2017 06:33 PM

BlueCarnation and DaffyKD, you get high marks for your gracious responses.

Paging AZTheta and her new signature!

carnation 07-23-2017 06:47 PM

You're rushing at Texas and you're just now getting recs?

Titchou 07-23-2017 06:49 PM

I concur. A bid to any group on any campus should be treated respect and graciousness. Every group at UT is a quality organization. Keep in mind that membership is not just for the 4 years of college but rather for a lifetime. You will find sisters wherever you go.

Get your recs and letters of support in order and put your best foot forward.

33girl 07-23-2017 07:30 PM

Yes, you are at a very large disadvantage starting so late. You should probably also delete everything but your first paragraph from your post as soon as humanly possible.

Sidebar: I thought that most schools with a large Greek presence sent out some sort of info to incoming freshmen in the spring so they did hear about it before orientation.

Titchou 07-23-2017 08:08 PM

33girl - she said she wasn't interested in it before - not that she didn't know about it

thetalady 07-23-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahE (Post 2436738)
Hey everyone! I'm an out of stater just returning from orientation. Never was interested in sorority life but after hearing all the buzz about recruitment at orientation, I'm gonna go for it!

Do you all think it's a real disadvantage to be starting so late on registration and all?? The talk at orientation puts the houses like this: PiPhi, Kappa, Theta, Tri Delta, Chi O, Zeta, APhi, AXO, AEPhi, DG, KD, ADPi, AZD, SDT

What are the strongest houses at UT to consider as an out of state student? I'm going to start getting rec letters together but do I really need to have them for the lower houses? I think I can skip AEPHI and SDT because I'm not Jewish. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Oh. My. I sure hope that you let your OWN experiences with each chapter guide you in your decisions, not just tacky gossip from some other people that you don't even know.

If you choose to go through recruitment at this late date, you should be gracious and enthusiastic about EVERY SINGLE party invitation that you might receive.

Yes, you need to get recommendations for every single chapter. You already have strikes against you. There is no such thing as a "lower house" at UT. You need to understand that in very large part, THEY are doing the choosing, not you.

ETA: read this thread Not So Mutual Selection

CaliAggie 07-23-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2436749)
Yes, you are at a very large disadvantage starting so late. You should probably also delete everything but your first paragraph from your post as soon as humanly possible.

Sidebar: I thought that most schools with a large Greek presence sent out some sort of info to incoming freshmen in the spring so they did hear about it before orientation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2436751)
33girl - she said she wasn't interested in it before - not that she didn't know about it

Right, it sounds like she got excited about joining a sorority after hearing about it during orientation. I don't mean to side track the conversation but I am sort of wondering out loud if we do ourselves a disservice by making it difficult for students to participate in recruitment. Of course, she could wait until the spring or just rush anyway and hope for the best. Not to minimize all the legwork and time people put in to prepare, but it is a pretty tough situation when people decide to join but don't because they feel like they can adequately prepare or would be at a big disadvantage.

TXDG 07-23-2017 10:04 PM

UT's recruitment is brutal. You will be LUCKY to get a bid from any house. They are all wonderful chapters. Every single chapter is FULL of smart, beautiful, accomplished women. Every chapter has OOS members. Narrow minded pnms usually end up withdrawing from recruitment midway through the process. It is not a campus where sophomores going through for a 2nd time have much success - your first, best chance at a bid is as an open minded freshman.

Please find at least one rec for every house. Every chapter has its own rec policies and a few chapters (spread across the popularity "tiers") have national policies that pnms must have a rec to pledge. Don't be thinking it's a cakewalk to get into some of the chapters because IT. IS. NOT.

trymeplease 07-24-2017 12:02 AM

I have a daughter who successfully pledged at UT from OOS. You need to be getting letters of rec ASAP. Within the next week. If your rec writers are unfamiliar with the process, tell them to go to their National website. All the information should be there. There are certain sororities who have more OOS than others - you will figure this out as you meet the girls during recruitment. Be open to all sororities - many girls in Texas have been preparing almost all their life for Recruitment so are well positioned and prepared. Good luck!

AZTheta 07-24-2017 01:16 AM

Assuming this poster isn't a troll, here's my two cents.

SarahE (please don't let that be your real name): first things first. Read like crazy in the recruitment forum, especially everything you can find on UT

Next, ignore all the "ratings" and "rankings". Pay attention to what TXDG wrote to you.

So, what do my Panhell sisters think of me telling the OP to sit out a year? I know it's Texas BUT she's so unprepared... my rationale is this: that gives the OP time to get the lay of the land, make friends in and out of sororities, and get a killer freshman GPA which will make her a desirable member as a sophomore. It is my belief that UT chapters do have the option of "upperclass quota". Is that true? Also wondering: what's the status of spring rush for UT?

(AHEM: LadyLonghorn, where are you???????????????)

jolene 07-24-2017 09:40 AM

If you do want to wait out, my rec girl from a couple of years ago had a successful rush at UT her sophomore year. However, get those recs in ASAP if you want to rush and prepare.

All of the sororities at UT are great. Don't listen to tent talk.

trymeplease 07-24-2017 12:06 PM

UT has a sophomore quota, and many girls have found success pledging as sophomores (even a few juniors). From my limited exposure, it seems that it doesn't hurt to go through as a freshman and try again as a sophomore if it doesn't work out. Often girls will make friends with a group of girls in a sorority and don't have too difficult of a time pledging that sorority as a sophomore. It's still competitive as UT has many girls that transfer in as sophomores. I believe ~300 girls drop out of Recruitment every year.

A few sororities do COB or Spring recruitment, but it is informal and not publicized.