GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Second Time Rush Advice for Auburn (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132539)

uh_d 02-18-2013 01:04 AM

Second Time Rush Advice for Auburn

Hello all!

In a nutshell, I rushed Panhellenic at Auburn this past fall as a freshman and needless to say I was so lost. I'm from California, so I came into SEC rush completely unprepared. I only had recommendations for a few sororities, my high school grades were NOT up to standards (which I knew from the beginning) but I was pushed into rushing by my mom that year (rushing has always been my decision, however rushing last fall was not!) Needless to say I was dropped very early. So now, I'm back, and I'm ready to rush again. However, I need help.

My mom was in a sorority at home in California, so I have several recommendations for hers, but other then the few others that I know I have recommendations for (which is five) where do you all suggest I find other recommendations?

Also, I know rushing as a Sophomore isn't easy, is there anything else y'all could suggest before rush? I know it's early, but I want to be sure that I'm 100% prepared this year!

ASTalumna06 02-18-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh_d (Post 2204194)
Hello all!

In a nutshell, I rushed Panhellenic at Auburn this past fall as a freshman and needless to say I was so lost. I'm from California, so I came into SEC rush completely unprepared. I only had recommendations for a few sororities, my high school grades were NOT up to standards (which I knew from the beginning) but I was pushed into rushing by my mom that year (rushing has always been my decision, however rushing last fall was not!) Needless to say I was dropped very early. So now, I'm back, and I'm ready to rush again. However, I need help.

My mom was in a sorority at home in California, so I have several recommendations for hers, but other then the few others that I know I have recommendations for (which is five) where do you all suggest I find other recommendations?

Also, I know rushing as a Sophomore isn't easy, is there anything else y'all could suggest before rush? I know it's early, but I want to be sure that I'm 100% prepared this year!

Here's a thread that was just started regarding how to find recs when you don't know any sorority alumnae: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=132531

Also, there are tons of other threads on Greekchat that discuss recs. Note: Sometimes it's better to type what you're looking for on Google - and include "greekchat.com" in the search - than it is to use the search function on this site.

WCsweet<3 02-18-2013 01:15 AM

Ask your mom and her friends for other women who were in sororities. Ask old coaches, babysitters, teachers, people from churches, everywhere. If you are still missing some chapters look for a local alumnae association. There are many panhellenic associations in California.

I would suggest reading the stickied threads at the top of the sorority recruitment section.

adpiucf 02-18-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh_d (Post 2204194)
Hello all!

Make a list of all of the sororities at Auburn. Email and Tweet everyone you know that you're going through recruitment and seeking recs for those sororities. Does anyone know anyone? Will they ask for you? Post a message on your wall on Facebook. Have your mom do the same. Contact the alumnae panhellenic in your hometown in California to ask to be put in touch with alumnae of those sororities. Contact the alumnae associations of those sororities in your hometown asking the same. You can also contact the alumnae panhellenic in your college town with this request. Contact high school teachers, friends, relatives, everyone. There are tons of threads about this all over Greek Chat. You just have to keep asking people if they know anyone who knows anyone and to ask on your behalf. It is possible. As you get recommenders, ask if they know anyone in the sororities you still need recs for. And so on.

You also need to work very hard this year in school to get top grades. Get involved on campus. Look for activities Greeks are involved with to help you meet sorority women and make friends. It's helpful to know people in the chapters who will advocate for you. Don't make an idiot of yourself in social situations or become known as "that girl" who gets wasted/sleeps around all the time.

DubaiSis 02-18-2013 02:19 AM

You are at Auburn now, right? And you presumably have some friends in the sororities. They (probably) can't write you a recommendation, but maybe they can help you find some. Don't press on this too hard, but it's worth asking, along with the above advice.

uh_d 03-03-2013 02:09 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I do have friends in sororities, and a few of them are also graduating this year. As for the alumni associations, I will be in Auburn the entire summer applying for my professional program, would it be socially unacceptable to talk to the local alumni associations here?

Titchou 03-03-2013 02:33 PM

No - you aren't from Auburn. Find them from home. They know you. Have you asked every women who is writing you a rec if they know someone in the other groups? If not, start there. Read the links you've been given here. If you still need recs, check the national web sites of the groups you need. They will have a link to all the local alum groups.

FSUZeta 03-05-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh_d (Post 2206292)
Thanks for the advice!

I do have friends in sororities, and a few of them are also graduating this year. As for the alumni associations, I will be in Auburn the entire summer applying for my professional program, would it be socially unacceptable to talk to the local alumni associations here?

You need to line up your recs. now. Do not wait until summer to start trying to find ladies to write recs. for you.

Old_Row 03-05-2013 05:10 PM

Also you know you have to get brand new recs for all the groups you had them for last time right? Sororities don't hold them over.

FSUZeta 03-05-2013 07:29 PM

Good point Old Row!