GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NPC's that didn't make it (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=53211)

PureGoldF2K1 07-04-2004 12:14 PM

NPC's that didn't make it

Hey, I was just curious and wondering if there had ever been any members of NPC that don't exist anymore?

aopirose 07-04-2004 12:19 PM

Iota Alpha Pi - This is the only group, as a whole, that voted to close rahter than affiliate with another group. That was ~1972.

The rest affliated with other NPC groups.

Alpha Delta Theta m. Phi Mu, 1939.

Alpha Sigma Delta m. Lambda Omega, 1932; Lambda Omega m. Theta Upsilon, 1933; Theta Upsilon m. Delta Zeta, 5/6/62.

Beta Phi Alpha m. Delta Zeta, 6/22/41

Beta Sigma Omicron m. Zeta Tau Alpha, 8/64

Delta Sigma Epsilon m. Pi Delta Theta, 1940;
then DSE m. Delta Zeta, 1956

Sigma Phi Beta m. Phi Alpha Chi, 1/7/28;
Sigma Phi Beta m. Phi Omega Pi, 10/1/33;
Sigma Sigma Omicron m. Sigma Phi Beta, 1972.

Phi Omega Pi m. Delta Zeta, 8/10/46

Pi Kappa Sigma m. Sigma Kappa, 5/15/59

Pi Lambda Sigma m. Theta Phi Alpha, 6/28/52

Theta Sigma Upsilon m. Alpha Gamma Delta, 6/29/59

Theta Upsilon m. Delta Zeta, 5/6/62

Diamond Delta 07-04-2004 01:22 PM

Just to recap-

Alpha Delta Theta Merged w/ Phi Mu

Alpha Kappa Psi fd.1904-dissolved

Alpha Sigma Delta merged with Lambda Omega who later merged with Theta Upsilon who later merged with DZ

Beta Phi Alpha joined DZ

Beta Sigma Omicron joined ZTA 1964-so some of those girls are probably still alive!

Two Chapters of Delta Sigma joined AOPi

Pi Delta Theta (an NPC member) joined Delta Sigma Epsilon in 1940-first merger of that kind within the AES

Delta Sigma Epsilon joined DZ in 1956

Iota Alpha Pi-first national started by Jewish Women in 1903. Disbanded 1971.

Phi Omega Pi-founded 1910and an NPC member-amalgamated with Sigma Phi Beta in 1933. Soon after, chapters were absorbed by AOPi, AGD, SK, and KAT. Formally disbanded in 1946 and DZ absorbed the rest of the chapters and all alumnae per an NPC request (intresting!)

Pi Delta Theta-the brain child of Sarah Ida Shaw-remember her?-formed in 1925, later merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon then with DZ

Pi Lambda Sigma merged with Theta Phi Alpha in 1952 because they were both Catholic sororities at the time.

Sigma Sigma Omicron formed in 1920, changed its name to Sigma Phi Beta in 1927.

Then merged with Phi Alpha Chi b/c of the similar principals and goals. Then was absorbed by Phi Omega Pi which was absorbed by DZ.

Sigma theta Upsilon merged with AGD.

Theta Upsilon merged with DZ in 1962-probably some of them are still alive.

I believe at one point Kappa Beta Gamma were part of the NPC and then left NPC but they are still going strong with 7 chapters and 3 alumni associations. I think they may have some interest groups too. Not sure.:)

LAKDgirl 07-04-2004 01:45 PM

wow! How in the world do you people know that?

and a lot of these mergings are now with DZ!! wow.

Diamond Delta 07-04-2004 01:55 PM

That explains how DZ is one of the biggest I guess!

KillarneyRose 07-04-2004 02:06 PM

I was gonna say, I never knew about all those mergers. We're like the Microsoft of the NPC!

Munchkin03 07-04-2004 08:40 PM

Why is the information in the second post virtually repeated in the second.

You GC-ers, always wanting the last word...:p

XOMichelle 07-04-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I was gonna say, I never knew about all those mergers. We're like the Microsoft of the NPC!
ha ha ha ha...

DeltaBetaBaby 07-05-2004 11:47 PM

How does a group decide what group to merge with?

PM_Mama00 07-06-2004 12:05 AM

Lol I met a girl in one of my classes who I kept trying to rush. Finally she told me that she was a Kappa Beta Gamma. They are part of the NPC at their school, but not nationally. I thought their name was cool cuz locally we were Kappa Gamma Beta.

33girl 07-06-2004 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
How does a group decide what group to merge with?
Probably commonality of ideals, opportunity and lack of chapter overlap. I. E. ASA and AST would never merge because we have chapters at so many of the same schools. It wouldn't help either of us with size issues.

Diamond Delta 07-06-2004 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 33girl
Probably commonality of ideals, opportunity and lack of chapter overlap. I. E. ASA and AST would never merge because we have chapters at so many of the same schools. It wouldn't help either of us with size issues.
That is eactly right. When I read the Baird's it pretty much stay sfactual and doesn't say too much about why certain groups merge, but it does tell that they "have the same mission, pupose, goals, etc, etc" and not having too much chapter overlap is definitely a factor. It is also a mutual decision I beleive. Either XYZ and ABC decide to merge or perhaps, ABC realizes that they are not doing well for one reason or other and seeks out another group to abosrb them. Or possibly XYZ sees that ABC is a great sorority and they have the similar ideals, but for whatever reason ABC is having a hard time with growth, offers to absorb them. I don't think of it as a hostile take over or anything! I am sure some alumnae might not like it, you can't make everybody like everything. But it is a mutual decision.

AEPhiSierra 07-06-2004 09:54 AM

I have always wondered why Iota Alpha Pi didn't affiliate with AEPhi or SDT since they were the first historically jewish national sorority. My only guess is there was probably a lot of chapter overlap.

aopirose 07-06-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
I have always wondered why Iota Alpha Pi didn't affiliate with AEPhi or SDT since they were the first historically jewish national sorority. My only guess is there was probably a lot of chapter overlap.
That's what I guess too then again, there are some people who would rather "die" then affiliate with anyone. That may not be the case here.

***Paging Exlurker***
If you have time or inclination, could you please with a cherry on top give us a list of IAII chapters? THANKS!!!!

aephi alum 07-06-2004 10:34 AM

So what happens when there is a merger and there is some chapter overlap? Or, what has happened in the past? Do the chapters merge? I'm thinking of some of the schools where it's not uncommon to have 200+ member chapters... a merger happens, and suddenly you have over 400 sisters in your chapter! :eek: But I guess that would work itself out over time, with the quota/total system.