GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Possible Expansion at Otterbein (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=62846)

PhoenixAzul 02-08-2005 10:01 AM

Possible Expansion at Otterbein

Haha! I finally get to start an expansion thread about my school. As a bit of history, my org was refounded in 1985. When they went to start Tau Delta, they were told that they could not start an entirely new sorority, but they had to refound one that had become inactive. Their choices were between Tau Delta and Rho Kappa Delta (Arkady). The way our founding sisters tell it...TD won out because we didn't want our mascot to be the squirrel.

At any rate, one of my friends who did not recieve a bid through formal recruitment is attempting to refound Arkady. She's gotten together with a bunch of other girls who went independent or didn't recieve a bid or a COB. She's also pulled in some girls who haven't rushed. I'd really love to see her get this group up and running. She's allready discussed with the Greek Life office, and they're game. Now she has to petition the dean of student affairs to give them their charter. Then she has to track down the alumns (it's going to be hard, PKD has been inactive for about 25-30 years or more). But she has a copy of their bilaws and everything. This would mean that every original OC sorority would be active again for the first time since the 20's. It would also make 7 sororities to 7 fraternities.

OrigamiTulip 02-08-2005 11:13 AM

Sounds exciting!

pinkyphimu 02-08-2005 07:18 PM

that sounds really cool! keep us posted on how things turn out!

mmcat 02-09-2005 09:50 PM

definitely go for it..
but you might encourage her to do a search on the site to get some good advice about others who have tried.
ditto on the keep us posted.

PhoenixAzul 02-09-2005 10:29 PM

She presented to Panhel Exec today. The Greek Life advisor pulled me aside when I went into the general meeting and told me to "Tell your friend (name omitted) that her presentation went well and the response was really positive"

PhoenixAzul 02-20-2005 01:12 AM

Sorority Attempt Comeback

By Misty DeMichael
Tan & Cardinal Staff Writer

Otterbein Greek life may be expanding with the addition of a seventh sorority on campus.

Several female students have recently started the new chapter expansion process required to form a new sorority.

Sophomore art major Becky mellinger is responsible for heading up this process.

"Starting a new sorority wa sjust an idea I had, and I really wanted to do it," Mellinger said. "I talked to Julie Saker about how to do it, and then I started recruiting other people. Julie sent an email to all the girls who went independent and lots of people started contacting me."

According to Julie Saker, Director of STudent Activities, Greek Life and Leadership, students must follow campus guidelines when creating a new organization.

"With a sorority and fraternity, there is a second approval process," Saker said. "With Panhel and IFC there has to be a vote by the council first approving it as an associate member for a time period, and then a second vote later on to give it full membership status. "

Mellinger and other members are currently working on their consititution which they will submit to Dean Gatti for approval.

"We're building infrastructure right now," Mellinger said.

The women intend to recharter Rho Kappa Delta, a sorority that was last on campus in 1981.

"We want to start something new, but with a hisotry to look back on," Mellinger said.

According to documents in the Otterbein archives, a group of 13 women attempted to recharter Rho Kappa Delta in 1996, but were denied approval by the Panhellenic Council in a letter saying that "The Greek system cannot support another sorority."

Saker said she has similar concerns for this new group of women. "If there are other groups who are struggling, Panhel and IFC will question wheter or not they should add an additional group,'" she said.

Epsilon Kappa Tau Sorority and Tau Delta Sorority, who did not make quota during this year's Recruitment could be affected the most should a seventh sorority enter the Greek system.

Jessica Green, president of Epsilon Kappa Tau sorority, said that the addition of another sorority would not create problems for her sorority.

Senior broadcasting major and president of Tau Delta sorority Alicia Payne said she likes the idea of adding a new sorority.

"It gives us an opportunity to add an element to Otterbein that we don't have. I don't understand why people would want to limit opportunity," Payne said. "I don't feel they'll take anything away from us. I think girls end up where they should be."

Some students do not like the idea of another sorority on campus.

Ellie Hempleman, senior public relations major said there really isn't a need for another sorority.

"If you add a new sorority and it takes off, you're still going to see the same organizations struggle. What would the next step be? Have a sorority remove themselves from campus," Hempleman said.

Nate Jones, Otterbein admissions counselor and one of the refounding members of Sigma Delta Phi Fraternity in 2000 said the process is challenging and rewarding.

"We faced a similar issue with IFC, but we had to prove that we weren't aiming to recruit identical guys," Jones said. "My advice is to reserach other campuses. In some campuses, the numbers interested in Greek Life went up when there as a new interest point."

Mellinger and her group made a small presentation to Panhell at the Wednesday, Feb. 9 meeting.

Alana Moczydlowski, treasurer for Panhel, declined to discuss Panhel's position on the new sorority.

"That information is being kept inside Panhel for now, until we get more information," Moczydlowski said.

The women attempting to recharter Rho Kappa Delta said they don't expect to be active until some time next year.

"I'm in awe of what people at Otterbein have been able to create over the years. I see how much work needs to be done to maintain an organization such as a fraternity and a sorority and I respect that," Mellinger said. " I'm not expecting this to go easily or quickly."

33girl 02-20-2005 11:11 AM

Re: Sorority Attempt Comeback

Quote:

Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Sophomore art major Becky mellinger is responsible for heading up this process.

OMG I graduated with a girl with this exact same name, who also went to college in Ohio!!

Phoenix, ask her what her middle name is, if it's Katherine I will definitely freak out. :)

pinkyphimu 02-20-2005 07:15 PM

definately sounds like things are moving along quite well! i will keep my fingers crossed for your friend.

PhoenixAzul 02-20-2005 07:21 PM

Re: Re: Sorority Attempt Comeback

Quote:

Originally posted by 33girl
OMG I graduated with a girl with this exact same name, who also went to college in Ohio!!

Phoenix, ask her what her middle name is, if it's Katherine I will definitely freak out. :)

hehe, Becky is a good friend of mine. She's from Indiana...a place called Anderson?

33girl 02-21-2005 07:17 PM

no, I'm from east of Pgh. might be a verrrrry distant relation.

anyway, tell her good luck!! :D

PhoenixAzul 02-21-2005 07:21 PM

I think its interesting that they were last on campus in 1981, and my sorority was refounded 1988. That's a relatively quick turn around.

PhoenixAzul 04-22-2005 04:25 PM

Panhel took their associate membership to general assembly vote this week. The girls needed a 3/4 majority to become associates, and while they recieved majority, they did not recieve 75% :( . The girls can reapply at any time, and I know they will. Many chapters voiced concerns because some of the founding girls had not gone through formal recruitment....

aopirose 04-23-2005 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Many chapters voiced concerns because some of the founding girls had not gone through formal recruitment....
So what do the concerned chapters propose as a solution? Do they want the interest group to disband and only those certain girls go through recruitment if they feel the problem is that their chapters weren't given a chance? Perhaps, the interest group stays together and just observes a formal recruitment if the problem is understanding the mechanics of formal recruitment?

chideltjen 04-23-2005 05:52 PM

Can the new interest group NOT go thru formal recruitment? My sorority is an associate member of NPC and we don't participate in formal. It's possible... (and on our campus, cheaper...) We just recruit after Formal Fall Recruitment is near complete.