GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   What happens if I want to rush another frat at another school while being a Brother (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245332)

Fratboy123 11-17-2018 08:33 AM

What happens if I want to rush another frat at another school while being a Brother

Hi ! I’m a brother of a fraternity at a school and i’d like to transfer to another school. If I rush another frat without telling them,will NIC know(like my name and stuff...)that I’m member of both organisations or not ?

33girl 11-17-2018 08:36 AM

They will once we send them this thread.

thetalady 11-17-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462696)
Hi ! I’m a brother of a fraternity at a school and i’d like to transfer to another school. If I rush another frat without telling them,will NIC know(like my name and stuff...)that I’m member of both organisations or not ?

You think somehow neither organization will find out and deal with you appropriately? :rolleyes:

LaneSig 11-17-2018 02:26 PM

Is your chapter not available at the school you want to transfer to?

Titchou 11-17-2018 02:48 PM

How many times a year do we get this question?????

Theta1234 11-17-2018 02:51 PM

In this day of social media, I think it would be near impossible for people at your new school not to know about your affiliation. You might get a bid, but I could not see you making it to initiation without someone finding out about your current letters. I can't imagine that would be a pretty day. Now, I haven't even gotten into the ethical issues...or the fact that you would be compromising the pledges you have already made which can really cast a shadow upon one's character. If the new school does not have your fraternity, you could always contact them to see if a colonization was in the works. You never know...

Short Version--No. Don't even try.

Fratboy123 11-17-2018 08:03 PM

No. My fraternity doesn’t have any chapter at my new school and I’m wondering if IFC or NIC can check if somebody belonged to another fraternity before. I know a few guys who have been imitated into 2 fraternities after transferring but nothing concrete. I don’t have any Facebook or Instagram neither,so my social media life is pretty simple.

Titchou 11-17-2018 08:09 PM

Your chapter has social media. Your brothers do. The people on the other campus do. Someone you know will out you. Don't do it.

Fratboy123 11-17-2018 08:26 PM

So NIC won’t check but the brothers of the other frat can ?

Titchou 11-17-2018 09:04 PM

Yes...and the brothers of the one you are in could. Some groups have to check with a potential member's former campus....you just never know. My sorority wants us to check with Greek Life at any previous campus. Besides, what are you going to tell your current brothers? Are you just going to leave under dark of night and never communicate again with anyone there????? If so, bless your heart, you aren't worthy of your letters.

thetalady 11-17-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462719)
No. My fraternity doesn’t have any chapter at my new school and I’m wondering if IFC or NIC can check if somebody belonged to another fraternity before. I know a few guys who have been imitated into 2 fraternities after transferring but nothing concrete. I don’t have any Facebook or Instagram neither,so my social media life is pretty simple.

A teenager without social media? :rolleyes:

Fratboy123 11-17-2018 10:50 PM

Yeah,but If I don’t tell my current brothers where I’m transferring,how could the new fraternity know from where I’m transferring from and that I was in Greek life before(it’s not written on the transcripts)?. If I just don’t wear my previous letters and don’t show up to my previous school,how could anybody notice ?

Theta1234 11-17-2018 10:58 PM

Things always have a way of surfacing. Your transcript will show your previous school. Like a previous poster said, some greek offices will check with your previous school when you register for recruitment.

Now, my brother did move from one fraternity to another. The first was a non-IFC group (BUX) and the second was an IFC. You could always do the reverse and not be in violation of IFC agreements.

It's your life so you should do what you choose, however, I think your question has been unanimously answered with a "no."

sigmagirl2000 11-18-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462724)
Yeah,but If I don’t tell my current brothers where I’m transferring,how could the new fraternity know from where I’m transferring from and that I was in Greek life before(it’s not written on the transcripts)?. If I just don’t wear my previous letters and don’t show up to my previous school,how could anybody notice ?

Let me get this straight....

You're a current collegiate member of a fraternity, but you want to transfer to another school and not maintain contacts with any brothers or any other students from your current university after you leave at all?

That seems to say more about your character and ability to form meaningful bonds and friendships than the fact that you are so focused on how to evade rules to join another fraternity without checking out proper protocol.

ASTalumna06 11-18-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462696)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462719)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462721)
So NIC won’t check but the brothers of the other frat can ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratboy123 (Post 2462724)

Troll?

Regardless, he sounds pretty intent on moving forward with this seemingly impossible plan. He's been provided advice and warnings, and yet it seems like he still wants to cut everyone he currently knows at college out of his life forever and break the bonds he made with his current fraternity to join another, all at the risk of losing both memberships and being seen as the a**hole who tried to flout the rules.

Please, Fratboy, don't let us stop you!