GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana University Recruitment 2020 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246778)

GreekOne 01-22-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2472969)
The IU system doesn't have a lot of single paired events like that. IU pairs are primarily social -- homecoming, little 500, and weekend parties.

Just because they don't have these types of events now does not mean they couldn't start them. There are lots of ways to build better relationships within IU's Greek community. Acknowledging the status quo isn't ideal is the first step to moving new ideas forward.

pinkmama 01-22-2020 01:46 PM

Adpi took 62. Quota was 56

thetalady 01-22-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2472972)
Just because they don't have these types of events now does not mean they couldn't start them. There are lots of ways to build better relationships within IU's Greek community. Acknowledging the status quo isn't ideal is the first step to moving new ideas forward.

AMEN!!!

Rod D 01-22-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2472972)
Just because they don't have these types of events now does not mean they couldn't start them. There are lots of ways to build better relationships within IU's Greek community. Acknowledging the status quo isn't ideal is the first step to moving new ideas forward.

But now you all are talking about adding an additional step -- new events, so random pairs can be made. That's fine. But it isn't as easy, just because it works somewhere else.

Cookiez17 01-22-2020 03:59 PM

From the Indiana Panhellenic Website regarding informal recruitment/ COB:

Open Invite

Alpha Sigma Alpha
Delta Phi Epsilon

Invite Only
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa
Theta Phi Alpha

33girl 01-22-2020 05:04 PM

Okay, I really donít dig the way they have that on the website.

If theyíre going to publicize that a group is holding an invite only event, they should put the date of the event as well, so the PNMs arenít waiting for an invite that never comes.

Cheerio 01-22-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiez17 (Post 2472980)
From the Indiana Panhellenic Website regarding informal recruitment/ COB:

Open Invite

Alpha Sigma Alpha
Delta Phi Epsilon

Invite Only
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa
Theta Phi Alpha

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2472983)
Okay, I really donít dig the way they have that on the website.

If theyíre going to publicize that a group is holding an invite only event, they should put the date of the event as well, so the PNMs arenít waiting for an invite that never comes.

33, do you hold your opinion because publicizing that some groups are holding Invite Only events leads pnms who await an invite to feel bad about not getting one? If IU didn't publicize which chapters are holding Invite Only events, the social internet boards would go crazy with speculation on which groups are/aren't holding them based upon rumor. Having actual dates and times listed for Invite Only events on the IU site could lead to people protesting that specific type of event, during the actual event, outside the houses.

honeychile 01-22-2020 05:49 PM

So roughly half of the sororities didn't make quota? Even with snap bids?

IndianaSigKap 01-22-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2472988)
So roughly half of the sororities didn't make quota? Even with snap bids?

It's not that chapters didn't make quota. IU does not have campus total, so chapters can decide for themselves how many members they want to have.

pinkmama 01-22-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2472988)
So roughly half of the sororities didn't make quota? Even with snap bids?

I am pretty sure only a few made didnít make quota which could be the ones having the more open informal. This is the time that people start deciding to live out for fall so I imagine several chapters want to capture a few more kids for those purposes. I know Adpi made quota and itís listed on invite only.

pinkmama 01-22-2020 06:04 PM

Alpha Chi Omega looks like they made quota per the pic on instagram as well.

BUDelta4Life 01-22-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2472964)
From what I have read about IU recruitment, those results sound like quite a feat! Well done to your goddaughter!

Thanks! She's a total sweetheart - seriously one of the kindest humans I know. She was very excited to be a rho gam this year and genuinely loved meeting all the rho gams from other houses and making friends with them. She kept telling me over and over how happy she was for her group, and she kept all but a couple of them from dropping out. Even the ones she convinced to stay in at sisterhood round stuck with it and ended up with a bid they liked.

BUDelta4Life 01-22-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2472972)
Just because they don't have these types of events now does not mean they couldn't start them. There are lots of ways to build better relationships within IU's Greek community. Acknowledging the status quo isn't ideal is the first step to moving new ideas forward.

Random pairing for homecoming works on many other campuses, big and small. I've talked to friends and colleagues from all different sizes of universities where it is done that way.

GoldenAnchor 01-22-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2472979)
But now you all are talking about adding an additional step -- new events, so random pairs can be made. That's fine. But it isn't as easy, just because it works somewhere else.

Change is never easy. The difficulty of the change should never be the deciding factor. IU Greek Life needs to be willing to change and grow with the landscape of the student body (as all Greek systems should) and Gen Z hasnít been trending towards exclusivity and hierarchy.

33girl 01-22-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2472986)
33, do you hold your opinion because publicizing that some groups are holding Invite Only events leads pnms who await an invite to feel bad about not getting one? If IU didn't publicize which chapters are holding Invite Only events, the social internet boards would go crazy with speculation on which groups are/aren't holding them based upon rumor. Having actual dates and times listed for Invite Only events on the IU site could lead to people protesting that specific type of event, during the actual event, outside the houses.

No, I hold that opinion because I think PNMs should know if they have, in effect, been “cut.” If they know ABC is holding one event on February 1 and they haven’t gotten an invite, they can stop saying “well maybe ABC will have some more events and I’ll get invited then.” It would be one thing if this was a few days, but the time frame is until MARCH. You know there are going to be girls who keep holding out hope that never comes. It would be a lot more considerate to let them know that chance has come and gone. During formal rush, they know if ABC cuts them they should look elsewhere for a Greek affiliation. Why can the women participating in COB not be given that same consideration?

And no, why on earth would you say what time? As far as “protesting that type of event” - WHAT? Couldn’t that happen ANY day during rush?

All they have to say is:
ABC - invite only, Feb 1 and 3
DEF - invite only, Jan 24
Please bring your student ID so you can be verified on the sorority’s invitation list. Women who are not on the list will not be admitted.

Panhellenic should either be transparent or just stay out of COB completely.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.