GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Here we go- Covid in Sororities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247243)

sigmagirl2000 08-16-2020 03:02 PM

Here we go- Covid in Sororities

I’m a day late on this, but didn’t see it posted already .... link

Cheerio 08-16-2020 03:14 PM

:( I said this in another thread: I'm really not looking forward to the in-person/on campus/in-town return of students to the local college.

pinkflamingo 08-16-2020 06:51 PM

Oklahoma State, my alma mater and the campus in question, had an in-person bid day yesterday after virtual recruitment all week. I of course trolled the instagram pics. Not much social distancing, and some mask-free pics. This semester should be interesting. I was surprised at the number of girls participating. About the same as last year. From what I understand, quota was 52.

PersistentDST 08-16-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2478200)
:( I said this in another thread: I'm really not looking forward to the in-person/on campus/in-town return of students to the local college.

That’s why I’ll be working from home. I love my students, but I just don’t think campuses are safe.

I saw pictures of girls at OK State, Auburn and Alabama with masks off or under their chins/noses. No social distancing whatsoever. I even saw family members visiting with no masks on.

It seems counter-intuitive to have a huge in-person bidday after spending the whole week virtually recruiting. Once you have a ton of people in one location, you are back to ground zero, regardless of the isolation you did during recruitment. It sucks because I know everyone wants to celebrate, but yikes!

Titchou 08-16-2020 09:16 PM

Alabama did virtual all week and then in person Bid Day...pic of all our 100 plus pnms with masks in front of the house. Just wondered how many were there without masks!

ForrestGrump 08-16-2020 11:06 PM

Due to the spiking COVID infection rate in the state, my alma mater decided a week before formal recruitment to make everything virtual for Open House, Sisterhood and Philanthropy rounds, but let the chapters individually decide if they wanted to do Preference in-person or virtually. The campus has such strict social distancing controls in place in the sorority dorms that chapters wanting to do in-person could host no more than 10 PNM's at a time, which meant a lot more individual parties. Between that and general risk aversion, my chapter opted to do a virtual Preference. Sounds like literally half the houses did in-person and half virtual. It will be interesting to see if that had any impact on PNM's opinions and choices.

ceciliaky 08-17-2020 03:51 PM

Seeing posts on FB that national Panhellenic has issued a statement telling groups they have to go to virtual pref & bid day.

I hope it’s just a rumor - DD has a carefully planned small group bid day tomorrow. 😳

UVASquirrel 08-17-2020 04:26 PM

I'd be curious to see how many of these girls testing positive actually have symptoms or are they asymptomatic?

thetalady 08-17-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceciliaky (Post 2478292)
Seeing posts on FB that national Panhellenic has issued a statement telling groups they have to go to virtual pref & bid day.

Does NPC have the authority to dictate virtual vs. in person rounds nationally? I thought that was a decision left to universities and Panhellenic organizations to decide.

Considering we are well into fall recruitment already, it would be a little late to try to impose any new policy....

TXDG 08-17-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2478293)
I'd be curious to see how many of these girls testing positive actually have symptoms or are they asymptomatic?

I assume some of them are actually sick - or else why get tested?

TXDG 08-17-2020 04:38 PM

Our chapter at Texas A&M did a great job with Bid Day yesterday. Little pods of 10 sisters (5 actives and 5 new members) held individual celebrations, popped by the house to take pictures, etc. Mostly with masks on, too. I’m not sure what the other chapters on campus did but it still looked like the DG’s had a great - safe - Bid Day celebration.

robinseggblue 08-17-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2478276)
Alabama did virtual all week and then in person Bid Day...pic of all our 100 plus pnms with masks in front of the house. Just wondered how many were there without masks!

I watched parts of the livestreams that different houses did because I was curious about precautions. I know everyone has good intentions, but I saw plenty of risky behaviors with regard to COVID--such as masks being pulled down or coming down while people were talking in close proximity, hugging everyone they saw, big clumps of girls (even if girls were directed to sit in pods), pictures with the entire MC, etc.

I think that with the return of college students to campuses, the spread of COVID on campuses is inevitable. I just don't think that the average college student is responsible enough to take the appropriate precautions.

Titchou 08-17-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2478294)
Does NPC have the authority to dictate virtual vs. in person rounds nationally? I thought that was a decision left to universities and Panhellenic organizations to decide.

Considering we are well into fall recruitment already, it would be a little late to try to impose any new policy....

well, I wouldn't think so because Alabama had in person Bid Day as have other schools. The schools I know about it was the school/CPH that made the decisions.

ChioLu 08-18-2020 08:38 PM

My cousins daughter is an Alpha Chi at Oklahoma State. One of the Recruitment days, everyone wore pink and they had matching/coordinating AXO masks in pink. It was her first year on the membership side and they just rolled with the new protocol With ease.

WregleXO 08-19-2020 06:27 PM

Well it was reported today that one sorority and one frat on the Auburn campus are already having to quarantine for two weeks. And classes just started back on Monday. The Plainsmen reported that the sorority was Kappa Kappa Gamma and that the two members that tested positive on Monday were at bid day activities on Saturday