GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   National Board Certification (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=57421)

AWJDZ 09-27-2004 09:15 AM

National Board Certification

Hey...just wondering if anyone has pursued their National Board Certification or if they are in the process of doing so. I recieved my "box" the other day...now I just need to get motivated! :rolleyes:

Kevin 09-27-2004 12:15 PM

My mother did it in French. Her school now has her teaching 4 spanish and 1 french classes :D

The money is good though.

It's a HUGE amount of work. The best advice I think I could give you is become friends with someone who has passed.

BetteDavisEyes 06-25-2013 02:44 PM

Holy Crap I can't believe I'm bumping a thread last read in 2004!

I can't believe it but I've decided to go for it and get my National Board Certification. I'm at a 3 day workshop to prepare for it.

No more box though! :D Everything is done online now and *supposedly* the $2500 price will drop this year. I hope.

My goal is to complete the process in 1 year. I really don't want to drag it out for 2 or 3 years. Nooooo!

AlwaysSAI 06-25-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes (Post 2222505)
No more box though! :D Everything is done online now and *supposedly* the $2500 price will drop this year. I hope.

My goal is to complete the process in 1 year. I really don't want to drag it out for 2 or 3 years. Nooooo!

I know someone who got it the 2nd year and someone else who got it the 3rd year. But, supposedly, if you are denied you only have to re-do the sections that you did poorly in.

FSUZeta 06-25-2013 03:43 PM

A sorority sister of mine did hers about 15(or so) years ago and she did it in a year. Needless to say we did not see her at any alumnae events that entire year. She had a mentor appointed by the county school board who was a teacher who had recently achieved her NBC. I believe the county paid for the test and the mentor if the candidate would agree to be a mentor after she received her NBC. Good luck to you!

BetteDavisEyes 06-25-2013 03:58 PM

The whole thing is worth 400 points. You need 275 to pass. If you fail any section, you only need to retake that area for the points you need to pass.

We don't get appointed mentor teachers but if you attend one of the workshops I'm at right now, you meet other already NBCT's that have passed and you network with them and get one of them to be your mentor. You specifically look for one in your area of certification. I'm planning on getting certified in Literacy - 3-12 years English Language Arts.

ASUADPi 07-19-2013 05:31 PM

I've heard that the NBCT isn't really all it's cracked up to be. For my current district, I don't think we even get any additional pay for doing it.

IndianaSigKap 07-19-2013 06:04 PM

It's bigger in some states than in others. My friend in North Carolina got hers and got a pay raise. In my state, we do not get any sort of raise or other perk. Very few people in my area have it or attempt it because of this.