GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Retro Recruitment Story! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=128678)

crw526 08-06-2012 08:40 PM

Retro Recruitment Story!

If anyone else on here is like me, I LOVE reading the recruitment stories, but there is always a drought of them during the summer months. SO I have decided to post MY very own recruitment story.

I rushed 1 year ago, so the memories are still fresh (and let's be real, who really forgets their own recruitment story!?) and I thought it would be fun to re-count it!

crw526 08-06-2012 09:05 PM

So, I go to a medium-sized school in the Midwest. We only have 7 sororities on campus, but greek life is pretty prominent on campus. The 7 sororities are:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi

I am not very creative so I will use fruit as my codenames. The new names will be (in no particular order)...
APPLE
PINEAPPLE
KIWI
CHERRY
WATERMELON
ORANGE
MANGO

I forgot to mention earlier that the school I attend has a deferred recruitment, so we don't go through the process until after winter break. Because of this, I already had some pre-conceived notions of what I thought some of these chapters were like..

DAY 1!!!
Today was open house round and we went to all the houses..
First was pineapple - Going in to recruitment, I was sort of iffy on this house. I knew a couple sisters from classes, but I never thought I would feel at home here. The conversations at the house didn't make my impression any better either. Although the sisters were nice, everything seemed somewhat dull and I just never felt very comfortable here. I left feeling bummed because this was my first house and first experience and it just wasn't all that great...I definitely did not want to return here.

orange - This house was MUCH better than pineapple! I went into this house knowing these girls were considered the "top house" on campus and were always down to have a good time. I am an outgoing person, and like to have fun myself, but I didn't know if I was QUITE like these girls. However, I LOVED it here! Everyone was SO upbeat and friendly. I liked the 2 different girls I talked to a lot and I left DEFINITELY wanting to come back here!

watermelon - I went into this house knowing it was considered "bottom tier" and after my wonderful time at orange, I was not looking forward to this, however, I decided to give it a chance, and I was glad I did. Although it wasn't an AWESOME time, I did like it here more than I thought. I had a decent conversation with the girl and it wasn't as awkward as I thought it may be. I left thinking I wouldn't be UPSET if I were invited back, but I didn't really care either way.

mango - going in to recruitment, I REALLY wanted to be a mango! These girls were so chill, laid back and down to earth, which I LOVE! I had some really good conversations and I still loved how laid-back it all seemed. I left wanting to come back here!

apple - I actually liked this house much more than I had expected. Going in to this house, I thought the girls seemed sort of "preppy" and snobby. However, I really liked the girl I talked to. We discovered we would have a class together the next semester, so we would have something to talk about. I left the house liking it and hoping to be asked back so I could give it more of a chance

kiwi - Coming into this house, I felt like I already knew a lot about it. I had multiple friends in this house and knew a lot of people. The girl I talked to was nice enough, but I was surprised I wasn't paired with one of my closer friends..... I left liking the house alright and I wanted to be asked back so I could give it another chance. I knew my friends loved it so much, so I wanted to like it too!

Last was cherry - Like mango, I went into recruitment really really liking cherry and secretly hoping prior to recruitment, I would end up here. This was the last house of the day, and I was tired, but I sucked it up and went in with a smile. The room had a somewhat poor set-up and it was hard to hear the girl I was paired with. Finally, we moved locations and ended up having a really great conversation!! I left this house knowing I DEFINITELY wanted to come back!

The next day we could go to 6 of the 7 houses and only had to rank one house at the bottom. I ranked (in no particular order)..

1.Cherry
1.Watermelon
1. Orange
1.Apple
1. Mango
1. Kiwi
2. Pineapple

crw526 08-07-2012 12:54 PM

The next morning I went to meet my recruitment counselor and I had been invited back to...

cherry
watermelon
orange
apple
mango
kiwi

I was so happy that I had a full schedule! My recruitment counselor had said before that bigger cuts wouldn't come until the next day, but I was still thrilled because I knew some girls who didn't have a full schedule at all! I was ready for the day to begin and hoped for as good of luck as the day before..

I headed off to orange to start my day. It was philanthropy day and I was surprised at how committed these girls actually seemed to their philanthropy. It was a bit awkward, I have to admit, because it was me, another PNM and 2 actives and the other PNM would NOT stop talking the ENTIRE time. I could barely get a word in edgewise and I could tell the 2 actives didn't really know what to do/say either. By the end of the party, I couldn't really gauge how it went because I hadn't really been able to connect with the active I was paired with, but as I was leaving her friendliness reassured me...

At watermelon, I was somewhat disappointed to be paired with the same person as the day before....not that she wasn't friendly, I just wanted to be able to meet more people and I didn't feel like that would happen if I kept talking to the same person...Thankfully, I was bumped off to another active and first I was thankful...but this girl was SO AWKWARD. I couldn't tell if she was nervous or what, but she was talking so quietly and wouldn't make eye contact at all. I felt like I had to lead the conversation and after a while I just gave up and did my craft. I left knowing I really didn't want to come back here...

I was so excited to be back at mango, one of my favorites from the day before! The first girl I talked to, I had a class with the semester before so we were somewhat familiar with one another already so we had a little bit to talk about. I was just so relieved to be back here after my awful experience at watermelon. Halfway through the party, I was bumped off to another girl and we were going to watch a video about their philanthropy. I had absolutely NOTHING in common with the next girl I was paired with. I asked questions about the philanthropy and the conversation flowed, I could just tell we weren't clicking at all. I left thinking I wouldn't be asked back here...

Next was apple. The girl I was paired with that day was super down to earth and really easy to talk to. We had a really good conversation as we worked on the craft. I was really glad! A few girls bumped into our conversation and I felt like I could easily talk to each of them. I left thinking I really wanted to return here!!!

At cherry I was paired with a girl who said she just finished her term as VP of something in the house...this made me nervous but I thought it was a good thing! We did the craft and talked about what I wanted in a sorority and when I told her she seemed to light up and said that's exactly what cherry had provided for her. I thought this was a really good sign and everything just seemed to click. We went on a tour of the house next and it was absolutely gorgeous, I could definitely see myself living there! We watched a video and talked a little more about what I really wanted in new sisters. I left thinking I was in LOVE with this house!

Last was kiwi. I knew the girl I was paired with already and the conversation was easy. However, I decided to shift the focus so I could find out some deeper meaning to kiwi. I asked about the philanthropy and the active I was paired with seemed really passionate about the philanthropy and she made the events sound REALLY fun. I left being more excited about kiwi than I was the previous day. I would like to return here.

At the end of the day, I had some hard decisions to make. The next day, we could return to 4 houses and tonight I had to rank my bottom 2. I had loved mango before, but today it just felt off, so I finally decided to rank...

1. Cherry
1. Orange
1. Apple
1. Kiwi
2. Mango
3. Watermelon

princesssluv8 08-07-2012 01:26 PM

I am reading......

MaryPoppins 08-07-2012 01:28 PM

Thank you for giving us this treat!

AXOmom 08-07-2012 02:52 PM

Going with watermelon! Wait, now I'm really hungry for watermelon.

crw526 08-07-2012 04:44 PM

DAY 3!!!

Today was skit day! I was excited to get the day going because I had such a great day learning about philanthropy the day before!! I met my recruitment counselor and my schedule said......

orange
kiwi
watermelon

I had only been invited back to 3 places (the max was 4) which wasn't terrible, but I was so sad. I had loved both cherry and apple the day before. I was somewhat shocked to see orange on my schedule because the previous day I hadn't had much time to connect because the other PNM in my group dominated the entire conversation. I didn't get emotional, because I believe everything really does happen for a reason, but I was, admittedly, upset about the outcome. I was fine with kiwi being on the schedule because I was warming up to it even more, but watermelon?? I had an awful time there the day before and I didn't want to return at ALL. But, I kept my chin up and headed out for skit day...

I was at kiwi first. The skit was really funny and I thought really showed the diverse personalities of the girls in the house. That was something I liked because I really wasn't looking for a cookie-cutter sorority. I wanted to be with a group of girls that were truly genuine and I could be myself around. I thought the skit really showed that. Also, the active I was paired with was SO COOL. I felt like we could talk about anything and I really liked that about her. She told me too that the idea of a "cookie-cutter" sorority wasn't for her either and she felt like she really fit in at kiwi. I left really really liking this house!

Next wasorange. The skit was absolutely HILARIOUS. I was laughing so hard by the end of it and I also could tell these girls really cared for each other. The active I was paired with was a friend from class and she told me she was so happy to see me there and she had been hoping she would be able to talk to me all week and she was so glad she finally had the chance. A few girls who were in the skit bumped into the conversation and I felt like we all clicked so so well. I had an awesome time at this party and I left feeling on cloud 9. I practically felt like I was a part of orange already.

Finally, it was time to head off to watermelon and I was not looking forward to it at all.... I was greeted by the SAME girl from Day 1 and Day 2. I was so confused, because I liked this girl and all, but I didn't feel like we had THAT much in common really and, since I had a bad taste in my mouth about this house, I really wanted to meet more people so I could maybe change my mind a little bit. The skit was just OK, but it felt that they were trying a little too hard and it just all felt a little forced. I guess today was a little better than Philanthropy day had been, but I knew this house was just not for me...

I knew how I would rank my choices tonight and I knew where I wanted to go for Pref the next evening. My rankings at the end of the day were...

1. Orange
1. Kiwi
2. Watermelon

arrowlady 08-07-2012 06:39 PM

really enjoying your story

WCsweet<3 08-07-2012 06:45 PM

Come on Kiwi!

crw526 08-07-2012 06:57 PM

DAY 4 - PREFERENCE!

I was so anxious/excited for the Pref round of recruitment. I was starting to feel so comfortable in some of these houses and I couldn't wait to finally call one of the places home!! I anxiously got ready and headed off to get my schedule for the night....

I found my recruitment counselor and my schedule read....

kiwi
watermelon

I was absolutely CRUSHED that I didn't see orange anywhere on the page. The previous day they made me feel like I really was one of them! I was upset and actually started to get a little emotional, which I don't do often. I wasn't about to quit though just because one house didn't ask me back. I kept telling myself, "everything happens for a reason, right?!" I hurried off to kiwi.

At kiwi, I was greeted by a girl I hadn't seen or met all week. She was a very nice girl and we had a great conversation. During the ceremony, I was really touched by what all the girls had to say about being actives in kiwi. They all seemed genuine and I could tell these girls really cared about one another and they all felt at home. I left feeling that this was the place for me.

The final party I would attend was at watermelon. Once again, I was greeted by the same active member I had been paired with ALL week! It was nice that she felt like we connected, and she was a very nice girl, I just really would have liked the chance to meet more actives in this house. The ceremony was touching and these girls seemed genuine as well. I just didn't feel the connection at the watermelon house that I felt at kiwi.

I really didn't think I would be happy with a bid to watermelon, but I also didn't think it would be a good idea to only list kiwi because I didn't want to NOT get a bid somewhere. I decided I wouldn't suicide, and my rankings were:

1. Kiwi
2. Watermelon

I was so nervous for bid day the next morning, I could barely sleep that night..

UGAalum94 08-07-2012 09:03 PM

thanks for posting!

Monkey19 08-08-2012 12:25 AM

awesome story so far. can't wait to read the outcome!

crw526 08-08-2012 03:52 AM

Alas, Bid day came! I was so nervous!!! I really knew the outcome I wanted. I knew if watermelon offered me a bid, I would be upset...I knew at this point I really wanted to be a kiwi. I waited in my room all of bid day morning. I never got a phone call. This was good news, right?! I knew in my heart, I had to be a kiwi. FINALLY, it was time to meet my recruitment counselor...she gave me my bid card and I was...officially........

A.....

KIWI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BETTER KNOWN AS.......

PI BETA PHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOII Angel 08-08-2012 09:33 AM

Congratulations. I was worried for a second that you'd end up in Watermelon with the one girl as your Big.

crw526 08-08-2012 11:05 AM

I mainly wrote this story for 2 reasons. 1) I really love recruitment stories and there haven't been many lately because its summer. And 2) I thought it may be a good lesson for the PNM's out there. At the beginning of the week, I never really thought I would end up a kiwi. I just stuck with them all week and now I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE being a kiwi. A girl in my recruitment group had also become a kiwi. We walked to the Bid Day activity together and now we are the best of friends. We lived together for a whole year in the kiwi house and now we are housemates off campus.

It is best to just keep an open mind during the whole recruitment process, and, I promise you if you do, you will end up right at home where you belong. Like me!