GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   I don't feel like voting this election (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=215816)

NWguy 03-09-2016 09:49 PM

I don't feel like voting this election

I've voted in every election since I turned 18, and I've done it with pride. I've even worked at a polling station, before our state went vote-by-mail.

But I can't seem to gather up any interest in the current presidential candidates. If I were to vote, I would vote for Bernie Sanders because I feel like he's the only candidate who is trying to make sense, but I'm not sure how effective he would be as president, if elected.

This may be the first time in many years that I don't fill out my ballot.

NinjaPoodle 03-09-2016 10:36 PM

Then vote by mail.

NWguy 03-10-2016 04:13 AM

No, I'm just not going to vote. I've watched a few of debates and none of the candidates on either side interest me.

State-wide, we don't have any major ballot measures.

I am curious, though, to see who gets elected. Things will get a lot more interesting in November.

honeychile 03-10-2016 12:52 PM

I understand. I have not missed an election day since I was four and old enough to lisp, "please vote for my daddy."

I see no one in the current race who I consider worthy of the honor of being the President of the United States. I will vote, but once again, it's the least of all evils, and not for anyone.

*sigh*

Tom Earp 03-10-2016 01:02 PM

And once again, it boils down to the lesser of evils!! One thing in Trumps favor is that he damn sure is a part of the current establishment. I would take Sanders over Clinton if I voted that way!
If Rubio doesn't win Florida, then he better get out or any possible political career is over!

NWguy 03-10-2016 01:41 PM

I agree, things have to turn around very quickly for Rubio. He was actually my favorite going into the race last year, but he lost me because I don't think he has a solid platform.

I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled by Trump's support. But he's somehow resonating with a large majority of the American public; he even won Hawaii!

DeltaBetaBaby 03-10-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWguy (Post 2406795)
But he's somehow resonating with a large majority of the American public; he even won Hawaii!

No, no he is not. A large majority of GOP primary voters is a tiny fraction of the American public.

DGTess 03-10-2016 02:18 PM

You're not limited to two candidates - even if your state primary has already passed.

There will be a Libertarian candidate - probably Gary Johnson.
There will (likely) be a Constitution Party candidate.

More important than staying home, if you don't like the two major candidates (and I'm thinking near a third of the population doesn't), send a message by voting for a third party, not by sitting home and washing your hands of it.

Unfortunately, the Republicans got Trump, Cruz, and Rubio by people who sit home and then don't like what they get.

Xidelt 03-10-2016 02:40 PM

I will seriously be investigating the third party candidates this year and most likely give them my vote.

PGD-GRAD 03-10-2016 05:04 PM

Here is what I always tell my friends who constantly complain about this or that office holder: "If you don't vote, don't bitch!"

DubaiSis 03-10-2016 05:58 PM

If Americans actually knew what they wanted and were prepared to do what it took to get there, there would be a revolution. But the fact is most Americans want easy, feel good answers and don't really want to search inwardly to see how they feel. As an example, seriously, when it comes down to it, am I a racist who thinks the one true America is white and Christian and we just tolerate the rest of those people? Disregarding my opinion that you need serious mental health support, you need to start by owning that. You think healthcare and education should be free, as they are in so many other countries? You have to be able to tax for that. You think rich people shouldn't have to pay taxes? You need to be able to deal with the fact that schools may not function and streets won't be plowed. I think far too many people want to say "We're #1! We're #1!" but not address the fact that we are not #1 in virtually any definable category, including, health, education, safety or life expectancy. They want free free free but don't want to pay taxes. Or want no taxes but still expect services. It's time for Americans to become grown up voters. Do your research, figure out what issues are critical to you and vote based on that.

There are online polls out there where you can answer a bunch of questions and it will tell you which candidate/s you most closely align with. But the test in an of itself is helpful because it forces you to decide how you really feel about a bunch of issues.

zinnia 03-10-2016 07:29 PM

why doesn't anyone think of voting for John Kasich?

In my opinion, John Kasich is the most reasonable of all of the candidates but he seems to be overlooked. I recently contributed to his campaign - the first time I've contributed to a political campaign. And I'm registered as an Independent!

Munchkin03 03-10-2016 08:08 PM

Nah. Too many people fought and died for my right to vote. That doesn't mean, however, that I am at all enthused by the candidates that either major party is offering. Maybe I'll suck it up and go major party. Maybe I'll pick an independent. Maybe I won't vote for president, but for any of the other offices for which my city and state may have elections.

But not voting? Not an option.

NWguy 03-10-2016 08:10 PM

I'm an Independent as well. I've voted GOP the previous two elections (2012, 2008) and Dem before that (2004, 2000).

I think Kasich isn't capturing the mood of the GOP party right now. They appear to be angry, hostile and fed up (with whatever they're fed up about), and Trump's brash tone of political campaigning appeals to them. Kasich is too low key, too nice for them at the moment.

I'll research third party candidates - thanks for the recommendation. I was hoping that Michael Bloomberg would jump in the race, but he reportedly isn't doing it.

Sister Havana 03-11-2016 12:31 AM

Not voting is definitely not an option for me.

Even if you aren't excited about the Presidential candidates, there are other offices to vote for. You'll definitely have a House race, perhaps a Senate race, maybe other state and/or county races too.

Quote:

Here is what I always tell my friends who constantly complain about this or that office holder: "If you don't vote, don't bitch!"
THIS!