GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   A few questions. Feel free to elaborate. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=111721)

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:02 PM

A few questions. Feel free to elaborate.

I've rushed around a little.

(1) Do I always wait to be invited over or should I sometimes invite myself over?
(i) If the former, how often should I expect to be invited over if they're interested in me.

(2) What sorts of questions should I ask when I first visit?

(3) When they ask what houses I've checked out, what sort of answer are they looking for?

(4) How likely is it that recruiters will Google my name?

(5) What are some other things I should know (other than what I can find on WikiHow and eHow)?

33girl 02-23-2010 07:05 PM

Geraldo, aren't you a little old to be rushing?

"Recruiters" work for the military or cults. Not sure what they have to do with a fraternity.

KSUViolet06 02-23-2010 07:11 PM

I'm just going to come straight out and ask:

Is there a reason you WOULDN'T want the recruitment chairs to Google your name?

I don't know how common that is, but is there something that's going to come up in a search that would make them NOT want to give you a bid?

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1900647)
Geraldo, aren't you a little old to be rushing?

"Recruiters" work for the military or cults. Not sure what they have to do with a fraternity.

There's a person designated as the "recruiting chair," yes.

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1900649)
I'm just going to come straight out and ask:

Is there a reason you WOULDN'T want the recruitment chairs to Google your name?

I don't know how common that is, but is there something that's going to come up in a search that would make them NOT want to give you a bid?

I don't know because I don't know what makes them want or not want to give a bid.

knight_shadow 02-23-2010 07:19 PM

You're not going to get a step-by-step guide on getting into a fraternity.

You need to be yourself. If they're interested in you, you'll know.

33girl 02-23-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeraldoRivera (Post 1900652)
There's a person designated as the "recruiting chair," yes.

Um, let me put it this way. If you ask for the "recruiting chair" someone will laugh in your face. I don't care how it's listed on the website. You're a guy - it's rush.

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1900657)
Um, let me put it this way. If you ask for the "recruiting chair" someone will laugh in your face. I don't care how it's listed on the website. You're a guy - it's rush.

I've never asked for the recruiting chair, buddy.

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 1900654)
You're not going to get a step-by-step guide on getting into a fraternity.

Someone will give me exactly that. Wait for it....

AXOmom 02-23-2010 07:28 PM

Okay, I just have to second KSUViolet's question. Why would you ask about a google search? It kind of implies you are concerned about what might come up.

I certainly have little to no idea what fraternities normally do when choosing members, and I would imagine that it varies considerably from campus to campus, chapter to chapter BUT I am a 47 year old mother who is barely computer literate, and the first thing I do when I want to know about someone (this usually comes up when my children mention a new guy/girl they are seeing) is google the name.

If it occurs to computer illiterate me, I can't imagine it wouldn't occur to most college age boys - particularly if they are rushing say 20 or fewer at a time. If I might be living with that guy for a year or more and calling him a brother - I'd take the time to google him. I don't know that they will, but I would assume it if I were you.

knight_shadow 02-23-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeraldoRivera (Post 1900660)
Someone will give me exactly that. Wait for it....

OK, smartass.

Make sure you approach the actives with that attitude. I'm sure they'll be falling over themselves to give you a bid.

KSUViolet06 02-23-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeraldoRivera (Post 1900653)
I don't know because I don't know what makes them want or not want to give a bid.

I mean, I know NOTHING about any specific fraternity membership selection, but if it comes up that you're wanted for a murder or something...

GeraldoRivera 02-23-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1900675)
I mean, I know NOTHING about any specific fraternity membership selection, but if it comes up that you're wanted for a murder or something...

I mean, are they going to look and think, "Okay, he has [this] many Facebook friends. He posted [this many] times on [that forum], so he must be [this]. From his profile picture, he seems [good/bad] looking. Conclusion: he's [cool / a loser]."

agzg 02-23-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeraldoRivera (Post 1900681)
I mean, are they going to look and think, "Okay, he has [this] many Facebook friends. He posted [this many] times on [that forum], so he must be [this]. From his profile picture, he seems [good/bad] looking. Conclusion: he's [cool / a loser]."

Oh yes I know I always vote against members who don't look cool on their facebook page, even if I've met them. Obviously we have the chapter's appearance on campus to consider.

knight_shadow 02-23-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agzg (Post 1900684)
Oh yes I know I always vote against members who don't look cool on their facebook page, even if I've met them. Obviously we have the chapter's appearance on campus to consider.

Exactly.

And I can't tell you how many votes have been swayed based on how attractive the rushee is.

We're all hot. We just want ugly friends now.

This is why I <3 my fraternity. And myself.