GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   General Advice (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54403)

DubaiSis 07-18-2013 10:06 PM

There are quite a few variables here. One is some sororities by their inter/national bylaws require a recommendation, no question. At less competitive schools they will find an alum to make some phone calls and get it done. At a UGA type school, they REALLY don't have to do this because there are so many girls who have done the tedious work for them. Does it still happen? I'm 100% sure it still happens that a chapter will find a woman to write a rec so that they can check that box for a girl they love. But to rely on that is risky, and that's what people are saying. Also, I believe that whether or not the various chapters absolutely require them is member selection material and therefore secret. I'm also 100% sure that girls get pledged without having recs to some or even all of the chapters. I'm not a fan of recs as a general practice (I think recommendations should be reserved for personal references, not for any Tina Denise or Harriet who comes along), but if I were going through rush today, I'd make sure I had them. Why handicap myself over something I can prevent?

/ETA I'm on my high horse this rush season asking for people to let us know after the fact how rush turned out in comparison to their recommendations. All things being equal, how did cuts go relative to the recs you went in with (that you're aware of anyway). That won't answer all questions, but it will give us an inkling.

DeltaBetaBaby 07-19-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uga17mom (Post 2226225)
Did someone ask you on her behalf or did you simply provide a recommendation on your own because you knew she was rushing?

The latter. She was an absolute SUPERSTAR, though.

amIblue? 07-19-2013 08:36 AM

On the topic of a rec getting written for you that you didn't know about, this is how I got my Kappa rec. There was a woman that I had grown up knowing in my church who was six years older than I was. I had not heard from her since she left for college. I didn't know she was a Kappa until I saw her again at the beginning of my sophomore year when she was advising the chapter at recruitment. Guess who wrote my rec?

I'm sharing my story to say that it can happen that a PNM can have recs she doesn't know about, but I would do everything I could to secure recs to as many chapters as possible at an SEC school. Things don't always work out so serendipitously.

33girl 07-19-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uga17mom (Post 2226220)
Last year, 1100 out of 1400 girls accepted a bid at UGA. Of the 300 who did not accept bid, many received a bid but chose not to accept it.

http://freakoutnation.com/wp-content...2/05/Orly1.jpg

Old_Row 07-19-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2226272)

Hahaha I love that! It sounds like someone needs to stop listening to gossip. This sounds completely untrue!!!!

ladybug12 07-20-2013 08:53 PM

From official RFM report at UGA. 1399 women registered for recruitment. 1128 women matched for bids. 27 unmatched. 54 released from the system. 90% placement, pretty darn good stats,IMO.

So obviously some voluntarily withdrew from recruitment as well...but not in large numbers....

DubaiSis 07-20-2013 09:18 PM

And to translate some of those numbers, the 27 unmatched didn't maximize their options and got zilch. 54 of 1399 got cut, less than 4% (I'm assuming some of those were for grades which can't be helped by the system). 190 dropped out, or 13.5%.

I would say UGA is doing it about right! Some girls are just not going to accept anything but special snowflake status and some will have just been overwhelmed by the process.

uga17mom 07-20-2013 11:16 PM

Thank you for those detailed numbers. I obviously worded my previous post incorrectly and I can understand why I was questioned on it. Sorry about that! I'm new to this world and new to the lingo. I'm glad we ultimately got the facts!

KSUViolet06 07-21-2013 01:34 AM

I laugh a little when people post crazy numbers, because even at the most competitive schools (Arkansas, Bama, etc.) if you look at the RFM data, placements are usually 90% or above. Meaning that 90% of the women who stick it out, get a bid somewhere.

Now is it always their #1 choice? No. But usually 90% or more of the women participating will get a bid SOMEWHERE, even if it's their second or third choice (for those schools where women pref 3 groups.)

phimusam 07-31-2013 02:14 AM

With the massive numbers and the daily list making, the time to get a rec for someone who didn't have one in the system is scarce.

KitKat58 08-24-2013 07:13 PM

Is it acceptable for a PNM to ask the chapter what percentage of members have Senior status at the school?

SoCalGirl 08-24-2013 08:05 PM

KitKat, Not really. It's chapter business but I'm curious why'd you'd care to know?

DeltaBetaBaby 08-24-2013 08:18 PM

Hm, I suppose it could say something about retention. I wonder if there's a polite way to get at that.

Missouri Ivy 08-24-2013 08:50 PM

I'm not sure if most would even know a percentage off the top of their head. I think it would just be kind of awkward.

KitKat58 08-24-2013 09:18 PM

Yes, it is a retention question. There are more than two dozen reasons WHY a bid class would not retain membership. However, I DO think it is a valid question, but very uncomfortable.