GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   FYI Disappointed Moms (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121568)

DeltaBetaBaby 08-28-2011 12:32 PM

Re: Networking

Networking is also making a positive impression on acquaintances. I'll use the summer camp example earlier in the thread. Let's say there are three cabins of girls your age. Maybe you are only "friends" with the girls in your own cabin, but if the girls in the other two cabins know your name and think you are nice, they are part of your network.

jazing 09-25-2011 03:49 PM

I think for sororities they also have to take into consideration just how large the recruiting class really is. At my college, there were about 500 hopefuls and only 5 sororities (Alpha Delta Pi, Theta Phi Alpha, etc.). Theta has a pledge class of over 60. If all 5 took that many, there would still be 200 not taken in.

psusue 09-25-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazing (Post 2094922)
I think for sororities they also have to take into consideration just how large the recruiting class really is. At my college, there were about 500 hopefuls and only 5 sororities (Alpha Delta Pi, Theta Phi Alpha, etc.). Theta has a pledge class of over 60. If all 5 took that many, there would still be 200 not taken in.

If the school is using Release Figures Management (or RFM), which most schools are now, that is not an issue. Quota (or the number of women each chapter can take during formal recruitment) is the number of potential new members left by preference night divided by the number of sororities.

Therefore it would not matter if it were 1000 PNMs and 5 sororities, if all 1000 attended preference night and ranked all three choices on her MRABA card (also called pref card, bid card, etc), she will receive a bid to one of the three sororities listed. Thus, the new member classes would be 200 women each (in this example).

KSUViolet06 09-25-2011 07:38 PM

^^^That.

It bugs me when people (particularly sorority members who are probably just trying to make girls who didn't get bids or didn't get their top choice feel better) say things like "oh well you know recruitment was SO tough this year! There were like 600 girls going through and the sororities just couldn't take them all."

That's a myth. It doesn't matter how many girls there are in formal recruitment. The numbers are set to place as many women as possible.

amIblue? 09-25-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazing (Post 2094922)

No, that's not how NPC recruitment works at all. You're new here, and also new to Greek life. Stay in your lane, please.

jazing 09-25-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psusue (Post 2094967)
If the school is using Release Figures Management (or RFM), which most schools are now, that is not an issue. Quota (or the number of women each chapter can take during formal recruitment) is the number of potential new members left by preference night divided by the number of sororities.

Therefore it would not matter if it were 1000 PNMs and 5 sororities, if all 1000 attended preference night and ranked all three choices on her MRABA card (also called pref card, bid card, etc), she will receive a bid to one of the three sororities listed. Thus, the new member classes would be 200 women each (in this example).

Thank you for dispelling that myth then.

Always AlphaGam 09-25-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazing (Post 2095007)
Thank you for dispelling that myth then.

There are no "myths" involved. This is how SORORITY recruitment happens.

As stated earlier, you'd best stay in your lane.

carnation 06-26-2013 09:12 PM

I hope that a lot of 2013 moms and daughters are reading this!

seaquin 05-25-2014 10:23 PM

I'm glad this kind of nepotism and favoritism doesn't exist in my organization.

LAblondeGPhi 05-26-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaquin (Post 2275594)
I'm glad this kind of nepotism and favoritism doesn't exist in my organization.

Please don't try to sound holier than thou on this one. When I was an undergrad, I may have had the same feelings you do now, but I've really changed my mind in the last few years. There's a reason they say "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

First of all, the power of pre-existing relationships and networking IS happening in your chapter - just on a different level. Calling it "nepotism and favoritism" is making an issue black and white that is far from it. You're also implying that women are being robbed of something, like a spot in a top chapter that they have the "stats" for. We've already gone over this- recruitment is not about some absolute list of good, better, best PNMs - it's about personality fit and so very many intangibles.

Additionally, why would you ever demean the importance of having someone be able to vouch for you? Even with something like a job interview or school admissions, there are far too many intangibles (like personality, determination, work ethic, etc) that are hard to completely vet in an application process. That's why so many jobs are filled by applicants who are recommended by an employee.

Networking is a powerful life skill and life tool. It has a legitimate place in most orgs.

DubaiSis 05-26-2014 12:25 PM

^^^^^^ This. Should connections go to the exclusion of qualifications, personality, appearance? No. But to pretend your best friend for your whole life shouldn't get a leg up into your chapter of other great friends is lunacy.

And that attitude is going to serve you very VERY poorly in the business world. Learn how to use the system now and you will be a step beyond the millenials who think they are owed jobs simply because they want it.

33girl 07-07-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2085165)
Absolutely, and it's not just SEC schools, either.

I've dealt with quite a few smaller schools where I think the networking aspect is just as important. Especially with deferred recruitment.

Smaller School Deferred Recruitment Example:

ABC has had ALL FALL SEMESTER to interact with PNMs.

Let's say the chapter has 50 women in it.

By the time recruitment rolls around, each of them has 2 PNMs that they've known all fall (and some longer if they're sophs and junior PNMs.)

That's 100 women already coming back. If they can only extend say, 130 invites, you've got 30 spots for "new" PNMs they've never seen. That's not a lot.

The women who get involved during fall semester, meet sorority women (through hall activities, work on campus, other clubs, sports) and form relationships have the advantage in spring.

Suzie who never really left her dorm first semester, but has a 4.0, might get passed over for Polly PNM who is in band with a ton of ABC and spent all fall hanging out with them, but has a 3.3.

This is something that people rushing at what they call "noncompetitive" (there really is no such thing) schools need to realize. If you walk into chapter parties and don't know at least 1 or 2 sisters by sight, you're at an enormous disadvantage.

I also wonder if the increasing amount of suite-style dorms is a factor. If you don't have to share a tv room or bathroom with 30 other people, it's easy to fall into the scared antisocial trap.

honeychile 07-07-2014 11:12 PM

I never read this whole thread before, and think it's spot on. Until I was about to enter college, I had never realized that everyone (literally!) on my street who went to college was a member of a fraternity or a sorority. I had thought that just my next door neighbor (who kept a Trident magazine on the coffee table at all times) and hearing that my grandmother was a Kappa were the only two.

Also, most (if not all) of the camp counselors where I went to camp were greeks. This camp attracted campers from all over the east coast, so there were greeks from Duke, Clemson, UVA, and MTSU, along with Cornell, PSU, Pitt, and CMU. The counselors for my group were from Duke & CMU, and they left a wonderful impression! As was stated, it was networking, networking, networking.

AGDCanada11 07-26-2015 02:01 PM

Bumping this one! :)

carnation 06-20-2019 01:58 PM

Bumping for 2019!