GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chapter Operations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Whats Your Study Hour's System (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=125870)

ThetaChiAY 04-15-2012 04:10 AM

Whats Your Study Hour's System

I'm curious to know what your system/plan for study hours is. Mainly what the punishment is for not completing them. In our chapter if you don't complete them your referred to standards board and they evaluate the situation and may or may not give you a penalty. Personally i think there should be a set monetary fee which increases linearly as you miss more and more study hours by increments of 10 study hours missed. How does your chapter regulate them and is it working?

33girl 04-15-2012 10:42 AM

Study hours are pretty pointless, a lot of the time. Either they turn into a social session or they are of little or no value as everyone has a different method of studying. Not to mention, if everyone doesn't gather at a central location they're impossible to enforce. The house is not always conducive to studying and study hours at the library or student center often raise the ire of non-members.

If the point of study hours is to increase your chapter's GPA, has it done so? If not, get rid of them. Give rewards for high individual GPAs and most improvement in GPA rather than forcing people to waste their time.

Kevin 04-15-2012 01:21 PM

Hour's?

DeltaBetaBaby 04-15-2012 01:33 PM

Study hours are dumb. They can *sometimes* be effective for brothers who aren't making grades, but to make your whole chapter do it is really a waste of everyone's time.

DGTess 04-15-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2138987)
Hour's?

And "... your referred to ..."

Sciencewoman 04-15-2012 02:53 PM

I think they are hard to "enforce" and I've seen them become the bane of the scholarship chair's existence. There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding them and they do tend to turn into social sessions. I think positive reinforcement and rewarding works better, and there should be some sort of intervention/assistance/mentoring for those with low grades.

AOII Angel 04-15-2012 02:55 PM

Try starting with just encouraging people to actually attend class. I know...novel idea.

knight_shadow 04-15-2012 03:14 PM

Y'all are really something else today...

AOII Angel 04-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2139008)
Y'all are really something else today...

It's Friday the 13th weekend.

jazing 04-15-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2138989)
Study hours are dumb. They can *sometimes* be effective for brothers who aren't making grades, but to make your whole chapter do it is really a waste of everyone's time.

I think giving study hours to those under the required GPA mandatory hours is fine. Otherwise it is of no use (unless during finals time)

Gusteau 04-15-2012 04:11 PM

Does the AY in your user name stand for Alpha Upsilon? As in the recently rechartered chapter of Theta Chi at Nebraska? Certainly you are in contact with many people at headquarters who could advise you on this matter. Eddie worked with your group, didn't he? I promise he's a better resource to you than randoms on the Internet.

AOII Angel 04-16-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusteau (Post 2139015)
Does the AY in your user name stand for Alpha Upsilon? As in the recently rechartered chapter of Theta Chi at Nebraska? Certainly you are in contact with many people at headquarters who could advise you on this matter. Eddie worked with your group, didn't he? I promise he's a better resource to you than randoms on the Internet.

You know everyone.

Gusteau 04-16-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2139091)
You know everyone.

;)

ThetaChiAY 04-16-2012 02:16 AM

Well our study hours are actually study hours and not social sessions. I posted the question to see how other chapters operate, not to ask who dislikes study hours. The worst thing about this website is that hardly anyone ever answers the original question.

33girl 04-16-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThetaChiAY (Post 2139109)
Well our study hours are actually study hours and not social sessions. I posted the question to see how other chapters operate, not to ask who dislikes study hours. The worst thing about this website is that hardly anyone ever answers the original question.

It has nothing to do with "disliking" them - it has to do with people having EXPERIENCE and knowing THEY DON'T WORK.

The way other chapters operate, increasingly, is to not employ such a time-waster.