GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   O.E.S/Sorority??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=110994)

LoveMyPHA 02-03-2010 07:31 PM

O.E.S/Sorority???

Hello Everyone !
(Im new to the site, so apologies if this thread has been discussed)

Im sort of wondering is how does the Greek-letter Fraternities and Sororities feel about the Order of the Eastern Star being a Sorority?

I myself am a Star and will not get offended by anyones opinion on the matter.

I've had my sistars come to me in my Chapter that brought up wanting to stroll and call...

I personally do not see any harm in OES Chapters having fun strolling just as long as its clean simply because of our teachings, that are biblical.

How do you all feel ?

(Thanks in advance for your input ):)

DrPhil 02-03-2010 07:59 PM

Why does it matter how people feel?

The search engine comes up with a few threads about Greekdom and Masonry and the Order of Eastern Star.

rhoyaltempest 02-03-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyPHA (Post 1892588)
Hello Everyone !

Im sort of wondering is how does the Greek-letter Fraternities and Sororities feel about the Order of the Eastern Star being a Sorority?

I've had my sistars come to me in my Chapter that brought up wanting to stroll and call...

I personally do not see any harm in OES Chapters having fun strolling just as long as its clean simply because of our teachings, that are biblical.

How do you all feel ?

Strolling and calling is not what makes us sororities. We are sororities because we are sisterhoods and in that case, OES is also a sorority and so are many other fraternal organizations that don't have sorority/fraternity in their name. As for wanting to stroll, no one can stop you and many are doing this anyway outside the D9 so do what you want. As for the calls, they are becoming ridiculously similar and often sound too much like ours. Overall I don't care one way or the other but I just take issue with those orgs that just want to play copycat or go out of their way to express how they are not like the D9 (because we are so bad supposedly) and then want to do EXACTLY what we do. That is my only issue.

33girl 02-03-2010 10:30 PM

I'm sorry but the thought of the Eastern Stars I know (including my dad) strolling is just about the most hilarious thing ever.

Psi U MC Vito 02-03-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1892657)
I'm sorry but the thought of the Eastern Stars I know (including my dad) strolling is just about the most hilarious thing ever.

Your daddy is a Mason?

DrPhil 02-03-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

LOL

It's just many of the younger Black OES who insist on mimicking some of the traditions of BGLO sororities while claiming that they are our mothers and we are mimicking them.

DrPhil 02-03-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 1892661)
Your daddy is a Mason?

Wouldn't he have to be to be an Eastern Star?

Psi U MC Vito 02-03-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 1892664)
Wouldn't he have to be to be an Eastern Star?

Good point. Stupid Question.

33girl 02-03-2010 10:59 PM

He was both. :)

MexicanMami0286 02-03-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1892679)
He was both. :)

Weird.

Psi U MC Vito 02-03-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanMami0286 (Post 1892703)
Weird.

Not at all. In order for a man to be a member of the OES they have to be a 3rd Degree (Master) Mason in good standing.

aephi alum 02-04-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

<aephi alum tries to picture her husband strolling>
<aephi alum collapses laughing>
<aephi alum needs oxygen, STAT!>

Psi U MC Vito 02-04-2010 01:53 AM

Hmm I wonder. Would OES be considered a fraternity or sorority? I know it is mostly women, but IIRC a chapter can't meet without the presence of at least one Master Mason.

AZ-AlphaXi 02-04-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Not to mention both of my grandmothers ... LOL :D

Senusret I 02-04-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyPHA (Post 1892588)
Hello Everyone !

How do you all feel ?

I am not a Freemason.

My gut feeling is that I would rather that OES members didn't stroll or call, primarily because it just doesn't seem congruent with the centuries of masonic tradition that I am aware of.

Practically speaking, you should be able to do what you want at your own functions. I would just advise against it in mixed company if you want to avoid drama.