GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Could someone elaborate on the bid process? This is just super annoying. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=146017)

sialater 02-10-2015 04:56 PM

Could someone elaborate on the bid process? This is just super annoying.

I don't know too much about Greek life but my understand was that you would go through a couple rush events and then the fraternity would vote on who they want to take after all the public events are over. But as I've been finding out my friends, they give bids to people even during the rush process. I was just curious whether bidding is a group process or does it just take a certain number of people to agree to bid someone. Secondly, what are the factors that would make the fraternity extend a bid to someone?

I know this is probably a cliche question, but this scenario is this: I went to the rush event of a fraternity I didn't really know too many people in (I've talked to a few here or there but I wouldn't say we were friends). I talked like normal to people, went to an after party where I met some more brothers. I met this one guy that seemed to really like me and he introduced me to a bunch of people. To everyone, I just talked about school and clubs and shit. There wasn't much else to talk about. Then we went to another party where everyone just played pong. I never played before but I tried and I basically sucked. It was pretty evident they were aware of it because one of the brothers mentioned it the next day. Regardless, I just tried to play it off cool and still just talked to people like normal at the next event. I don't think I normally come of as weird or awkward and I had decent conversations with everyone I was introduced to. Yet, I was not invited to any invite only events and so far I haven't gotten a bid. Meanwhile, my friend missed two rush events, I'm pretty sure he didn't know anyone either, and he talked about very similar stuff as I did (i.e classes etc). We were basically the same person and he got a bid. The only differences between us other than looks is that technically he has a higher GPA and mine is still pretty good compared to the average GPA of the fraternity.

Sorry to bitch about this but it's just super annoying that he didn't even have to try and he got a bid, and yet I went to all of the events except for one, talked with so many people, and didn't even get an invite. It's embarrassing.

ASTalumna06 02-10-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sialater (Post 2307462)
I don't know too much about Greek life but my understand was that you would go through a couple rush events and then the fraternity would vote on who they want to take after all the public events are over. But as I've been finding out my friends, they give bids to people even during the rush process. I was just curious whether bidding is a group process or does it just take a certain number of people to agree to bid someone. Secondly, what are the factors that would make the fraternity extend a bid to someone?

I know this is probably a cliche question, but this scenario is this: I went to the rush event of a fraternity I didn't really know too many people in (I've talked to a few here or there but I wouldn't say we were friends). I talked like normal to people, went to an after party where I met some more brothers. I met this one guy that seemed to really like me and he introduced me to a bunch of people. To everyone, I just talked about school and clubs and shit. There wasn't much else to talk about. Then we went to another party where everyone just played pong. I never played before but I tried and I basically sucked. It was pretty evident they were aware of it because one of the brothers mentioned it the next day. Regardless, I just tried to play it off cool and still just talked to people like normal at the next event. I don't think I normally come of as weird or awkward and I had decent conversations with everyone I was introduced to. Yet, I was not invited to any invite only events and so far I haven't gotten a bid. Meanwhile, my friend missed two rush events, I'm pretty sure he didn't know anyone either, and he talked about very similar stuff as I did (i.e classes etc). We were basically the same person and he got a bid. The only differences between us other than looks is that technically he has a higher GPA and mine is still pretty good compared to the average GPA of the fraternity.

Sorry to bitch about this but it's just super annoying that he didn't even have to try and he got a bid, and yet I went to all of the events except for one, talked with so many people, and didn't even get an invite. It's embarrassing.

Don't you already have another thread going about all of this?

33girl 02-10-2015 05:41 PM

It's different for every chapter and at every school. For the most part it's not as structured of a process as women's rush is.

But...you say you and your friend are "basically the same person" and then go on to say that he's better looking and has better grades. I hate to break it to you, but those are two important things during rush. If he outstripped you in both, it makes sense that he got a bid. This isn't like getting extra credit in a class where you can just check things off and get the points. There are a lot of intangibles.

All I can say is cast a wider net and keep looking at other fraternities, and try to be less self-conscious. It makes people uncomfortable.

sialater 02-10-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2307466)
It's different for every chapter and at every school. For the most part it's not as structured of a process as women's rush is.

But...you say you and your friend are "basically the same person" and then go on to say that he's better looking and has better grades. I hate to break it to you, but those are two important things during rush. If he outstripped you in both, it makes sense that he got a bid. This isn't like getting extra credit in a class where you can just check things off and get the points. There are a lot of intangibles.

All I can say is cast a wider net and keep looking at other fraternities, and try to be less self-conscious. It makes people uncomfortable.

Lol sorry I should've elucidated I didn't mean better looking I just meant we look different. But thanks for the input I thought that was more of a sorority thing than a fraternity thing.

sialater 02-10-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2307464)
Don't you already have another thread going about all of this?

My previous thread stated I didn't get a bid, but this thread is asking what the bid process is like, such as how are pledges chosen and based on what factors.

MysticCat 02-10-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sialater (Post 2307470)
My previous thread stated I didn't get a bid, but this thread is asking what the bid process is like, such as how are pledges chosen and based on what factors.

No one but the members of the chapter can tell you why they bid who they bid.

Montana1 02-10-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sialater (Post 2307468)
Lol sorry I should've elucidated I didn't mean better looking I just meant we look different. But thanks for the input I thought that was more of a sorority thing than a fraternity thing.

If you used words like elucidated with them i'd assume they thought you were trying too hard. Just be chill.:cool:

clemsongirl 02-10-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montana1 (Post 2307510)
If you used words like elucidated with them i'd assume they thought you were trying too hard. Just be chill.:cool:

You have not gone through fraternity rush yet and should probably not be giving advice on it until you have a bid in hand, just saying.