GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Phi Omega (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ugly Man on Campus? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=17663)

Dionysus 04-30-2002 03:02 PM

Ugly Man on Campus?

I heard that a lot of other APO chapters do this. What is it?

dzsaigirl 04-30-2002 03:07 PM

We did it when I was at SMU, but I can't remember. I know there were jars with money though....and pictures of the people on the jars. The most money for an organization won it.

Dionysus 04-30-2002 03:26 PM

I thought it was like some sort of male pagent dressed in drag.

pirate00 05-02-2002 02:04 PM

UMOC is among Alpha Phi Omega's best known ways to promote campus service. It can be done in many different ways:

1)Brothers of a chapter hold a contest to find the "UMOC" Different student orgs and GLO's disguise themselves as ugly. Once pictures are taken, a voting booth is set up for any student to vote and each organization could rally votes amongst its members. The votes are in the form of money and all proceeds go to a local children's charity and the winner get's APO's coveted "Ugliest Man on Campus" plaque

2)You can have professors/deans be the contestants as UMOC pageant participants and vote on them. Each faculty member chooses their favorite philanthropy, and students vote with their cash put in said faculty members bucket. The one with the most "votes" has all proceeds go to their charity and recieves the UMOC plaque.

3)On the campus of MIT (Massachusettes Institute of Technology), the brothers of the APO chapter put a spin on UMOC, calling it "Ugliest Manifestation on Campus" They had students vote for the ugliest building instead of person.

Dionysus 05-02-2002 02:09 PM

Cool. :cool:
I knew it went something like that. Our chapter are thinking of ways to publicize APO. I going to try talk my chapter into doing that.

UDZETA 05-02-2002 03:04 PM

We do this on our campus but a little differently. It is the ugly picture contest. We put the picture on a jar and people vote by puting money in the jars. The ladies compete in this too (in fact one of my sisters is doing it!) My pledge mom is using the picture from when we kidnapped her and dressed her up! It was not a pretty sight! :D

Senusret I 07-12-2004 02:39 PM

Bumping this one up......and asking a question.

Is UMOC dying out? I don't know of any chapters that do this. Is it passe'? Politically incorrect?

Talk about it, Brothers.

aephi alum 07-12-2004 03:56 PM

Please forgive my crashing your forum! :)

Quote:

Originally posted by pirate00
3)On the campus of MIT (Massachusettes Institute of Technology), the brothers of the APO chapter put a spin on UMOC, calling it "Ugliest Manifestation on Campus" They had students vote for the ugliest building instead of person.
Slight correction... At MIT, pretty much anything or anyone can be nominated for UMOC. I've seen people, buildings, sculptures, and even class subjects win.

Attractive#7 07-12-2004 06:19 PM

I know i wouldn't wanna be the UMOC :(
I've heard of cases where people dress up really ugly in funny looking clothes, hair and masks and then they take pics like that and vote on them. That sounds better than the regular pics of people...that's just plain mean. But I really haven't heard of many chapters doing this either.

emb021 07-14-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Senusret I
Bumping this one up......and asking a question.

Is UMOC dying out? I don't know of any chapters that do this. Is it passe'? Politically incorrect?

Talk about it, Brothers.

Well, even from the begining (UMOC has a LONG tradition in APO), some chapters called it something different.

Think to remember is that UMOC is all in good fun.

Its a great way to get your Chapter name out. Its a great way to get other orgs on campus involved with you. And it can benefit a worthy charity.

If its 'dying out', I think its due to most chapters/members not know what the heck it is. National needs to put out a booklet on UMOC with full info (including history and variants) to help chapters better understand it and what to do it.

I've been researching UMOC in my collection of T&T. Old issues used to run full page articles on UMOCs run at various chapters giving info on how they've run it.

X-orcist 09-19-2004 07:26 PM

Our chapter was just talking about doing this as an upcoming fundraiser. We think it could be a great way for the student body and other student organizations to interact with each other. We'll keep you posted if we decided to continue with the fundraiser.