GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Severe Weather (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=124103)

SWTXBelle 01-09-2012 05:16 PM

Severe Weather

ITT we discuss severe weather we are experiencing.

Here in the Houston area we have flooding and - tornadoes. TORNADOES? IN JANUARY?

Between 2 - 6 inches throughout the Houston/Galveston area.

I haven't heard from our insurance (USAA) today about my husband's Saturday accident but I figure it is because they are undoubtedly slammed. Thank God we got my husband's rental car today - they will be hard to find come tomorrow. Why, you ask?

BECAUSE STUPID PEOPLE KEEP DRIVING THEIR CARS INTO STANDING OR MOVING WATER. Don't DO that . . . sheesh.

knight_shadow 01-09-2012 05:17 PM

Oh, wow. I didn't know it was that bad.

We've started getting rain here in DFW, but nothing serious. I know one of my friends flew down to Hobby today and was rerouted to Corpus because of weather. I didn't know it was that serious.

Stay safe!

lovespink88 01-09-2012 05:54 PM

Ohhhhh this will be a fun thread, I've always been intrigued by the weather.

Wish I had something to contribute, but it's been the opposite of severe in Chicago (although I'm quite pleased with the above average temps).

SWTXBelle 01-09-2012 06:08 PM

lovespink, count your blessings!

Video coverage -

http://www.khou.com/video?id=136971053&sec=548547

tootiepie2 01-09-2012 06:53 PM

It is heading our way. Really worried about all those people ( my daughter included ) who are in NOLA for game.

lovespink88 01-09-2012 10:11 PM

Yikes, scary video! Hope everything is ok by you, SWTXBelle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootiepie2 (Post 2116617)
It is heading our way. Really worried about all those people ( my daughter included ) who are in NOLA for game.

Wuh oh, didn't think about the whole heading towards New Orleans thing. :\

AGDee 01-10-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespink88 (Post 2116607)
Ohhhhh this will be a fun thread, I've always been intrigued by the weather.

Wish I had something to contribute, but it's been the opposite of severe in Chicago (although I'm quite pleased with the above average temps).

Ditto. We are having a lovely winter so far and I know it is bound to change eventually, but every day that we hit 40 degrees in January is a great day. Shoot, it's a great January day if we hit 30 usually. Loving this winter so far :)

christiangirl 01-11-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespink88 (Post 2116607)

Ditto. I was just thinking today about the lack of winter we're having. Normally, it's raining like crazy or we're scraping ice off the car windows in the morning. We've had neither and it was warm enough to go without a jacket on Christmas. While I'm appreciative, that makes me a little nervous.

lovespink88 01-11-2012 08:23 AM

Sigh. I spoke too soon. Winter storm watch and up to six inches of snow. The snow is nothing, if I was planning on staying in the area, but I am worried this is going to delay my flight to see my fiance Friday night. :(

PM_Mama00 01-11-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2116717)
Ditto. We are having a lovely winter so far and I know it is bound to change eventually, but every day that we hit 40 degrees in January is a great day. Shoot, it's a great January day if we hit 30 usually. Loving this winter so far :)

Warmest birthday I've had in 31 years :)

VandalSquirrel 01-18-2012 09:00 PM

Allegedly we're having some severe weather in the Pacific Northwest but it kind of happens every year and we have the equipment for it.

Seattle was shutting down yesterday (sorry to pick on you PeppyGPhiB) but with those hills and the lack of practice in driving in it I'm not making fun of them. Alaska Airlines cancelled flights to both Portland and Seattle, which must be really hard when Seattle is the hub, but they aren't charging any rebooking fees which is the right thing to do.

The storm has been downgraded a bit, but tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be the worst of it over my way. The western coast is actually in danger of flooding since all the snow fall in town and up in the Cascades will melt when it starts raining. We're getting snow but since we haven't had any all winter there isn't a build up for it to be worse.

I am going to call out Washington State University for being a bunch of pussy cats and CLOSING this afternoon. I'm 8 miles away and we didn't close. We are officially closed tomorrow, HOORAY!

AGDee 01-18-2012 09:21 PM

It was 45 and rainy yesterday.. unheard of for a Michigan January. A cold front has come in now. They are talking about some major snow on Friday night.

SWTXBelle 02-03-2012 05:41 PM

NOT AGAIN. Tornadoes, torrential rains - jeez Louise. We need the rain - goodness knows we still do - but couldn't we get a gentle soaking over a few days instead of this dumping of rain all at once?

knight_shadow 02-03-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 2123271)
NOT AGAIN. Tornadoes, torrential rains - jeez Louise. We need the rain - goodness knows we still do - but couldn't we get a gentle soaking over a few days instead of this dumping of rain all at once?

Yep. We have thunderstorms coming up here too. It put a damper on my Friday plans :mad:

xibair 02-03-2012 06:01 PM

I guess I should count my blessings. Here in Austin, we are partly cloudy, humid and 75 degrees.