GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   A Spicy Recruitment Story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=129150)

pearlMmom 08-31-2012 11:30 AM

A Spicy Recruitment Story

Pre-Recruitment
Since my daughter could not be persuaded to write up her recruitment story I thought I give it a whirl. She is attending the University of Alabama. When my daughter first said she wanted to go through recruitment my reaction was,” But I don’t know anyone who was in a sorority! How in the world do you think you’re going get the recommendations needed to join one?!” I graduated from a women’s college and was a first generation college student. I only knew about the need for recommendations because a couple of the women where I worked had daughters that were currently at Texas A&M and I’d heard about how much work went in putting together recommendation packets. And that was for A&M when it wasn’t part of the SEC! Word on the street was that the Alabama was going to be a much more involved process.
As it turns out, obtaining recommendations was both the biggest pain in the neck and the most rewarding experience for my daughter. Neither of my co-workers had been in a sorority. One of them was a graduate of a women’s college as well and the other an alum of A&M but not a sorority woman. One woman suggested attending the local Panhellenic Association’s spring workshop on recommendations and also suggested this website. The workshop was a terrific experience for my daughter. It was set up like a college faire with women stationed by posters depicting various aspects of their sorority and answering questions. Out of twelve representatives, ten of the women were warm, enthusiastic and welcoming to all the girls that came to their tables. They did a terrific job of marketing their organizations. Two were a bit cliquish and seemed to be talking only with girls and their mothers that they all ready knew. The majority of the representatives were women in their 50’s and 60’s. A few groups had collegiate representatives. A couple had recent grads. My daughter had a great time. A registration package went in to the Panhellenic Association timely and received follow-up contacts with three of the organizations that were at the workshop.
Next she did a mass mailing to teachers at the mid-size high school campus that her magnet school is a part of. Using the teacher’s biographies on the school website, she sent a letter to any female teacher that graduated from a campus that had sororities, asking if she belonged to a sorority and if so, would she would be willing to receive a recommendation packet. Out of 130 letters sent, she received three positive responses and after follow up contacts received recommendations to three more organizations.
At church I began asking anyone that attended large public colleges and universities if they were members of a sorority. There was one woman that had been in a sorority in California and she secured a recommendation that way but most of the responses were extremely negative. I realized I was approaching the wrong demographic. Women that graduated in the 80’s tended to be anti-sorority. By asking dynamic, independent, involved women in their 60’s and older in our congregation my daughter secured three more recommendations.
My daughter then started asking her friends and classmates if their mothers had been in sororities. This netted three more recommendations. At this point she called a halt to any more efforts. She ended up with recommendations to 12 out of the 16 sororities at Bama and felt good about it.
A bit about my daughter: great grades, leadership positions both in school, on her dance team and with church youth group. She’s an excellent public speaker. We’re from Texas and yes, she did attend camp for 7 years.

pearlMmom 08-31-2012 11:31 AM

So the 16 sororities at Bama that participate in formal recruitment are: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, and Zeta Tau Alpha.
I’m using the following spices (in no particular order) for the sororities at UA:
Allspice
Basil
Bay Leaf
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Clove
Fennel
Ginger
Jasmine
Lavender
Marjoram
Nutmeg
Rosemary
Saffron
Sage
Thyme

Through the recommendation gathering process my daughter went into recruitment with a favorite. Three alumnae from Lavender provided her with recommendations, called her and chatted with her on Facebook over the summer, offering advice and encouragement. It was the attention of these women that really won my daughter over so that she went in wanting to love this house.

pearlMmom 08-31-2012 11:32 AM

Convocation:
At convocation there were presentations by the sororities that come under the Panhellenic umbrella that don’t participate in formal recruitment. My daughter said that the crowd was extremely rude when they were speaking. A NPHC representative also spoke and, while not particularly attentive, the crowd at least wasn’t making snide comments during the presentation. A member of the multi-cultural sorority also spoke and my daughter said if she didn’t get a bid this week she was definitely going to apply to that organization

pearlMmom 08-31-2012 11:35 AM

Ice Water Teas
Day 1: my daughter visited,
Sage – loved them (no rec to this house)
Nutmeg – loved them although she said she embarrassed herself at the house by spilling a glass of water on herself and the couch she was sitting on. (rec)
Jasmine - OK (rec)
Bay Leaf – really wanted to love this house because their symbol was her favorite activity at camp. Experience was just OK (rec)
Clove – was extremely put off when a woman approached her leading with, “Oh, you’re one of those smart girls.” Daughter didn’t know what to say to that. She was thinking about responding “thank you” but instead talked about the focus of her magnet high school. (rec)
Basil – wasn’t feeling it but couldn’t really articulate why. She just said she didn’t feel she‘d fit in. (rec)
Lavender – loved, loved, loved! (multiple recs)
Marjoram – was not expecting to love this house but had a great time talking about all things Disney (rec)
Day 2: she visited,
Thyme – loved them. The most wonderful woman from church gave her a rec here. This alum burst out in song about her sorority when my daughter approached her to ask for the recommendation. (rec)
Cinnamon – had a positive experience (no rec)
Saffron – did not go in expecting to love them – knew two collegiate members from the local university that had been on her dance team (rec)
Rosemary – loved them (no rec)
Cilantro – OK (rec)
Allspice – second least enjoyable experience (no rec)
Ginger – OK (no rec)
Fennel – OK (rec)
At the end of Ice Water teas she ranked the houses in the following order:
1. Lavender
2. Thyme
3. Nutmeg
4. Marjoram
5. Sage
6. Cinnamon
7. Saffron
8. Sage
9. Rosemary
10. Ginger
11. Fennel
12. Cilantro
Others: 13) Jasmine, 14) Allspice, 15) Clove, 16) Basil

FSUZeta 08-31-2012 12:58 PM

Thank you for explaining how you and your daughter went about finding recommendations. We get many posts asking how to find recs. and what you all did is just what we tell the pnms to do.

Love your theme!

carnation 08-31-2012 01:04 PM

Oh me too, my stomach is growling. I want these kids to finish their makeup tests so I can go eat.

I didn't know jasmine was a spice! :)

DubaiSis 08-31-2012 01:20 PM

I think technically it would be an herb. Herbs are leaves, spices are roots/seeds.

pearlMmom 08-31-2012 05:13 PM

Philanthropy Days
Note: I had Sage in there twice (#5 and #8) and left off Bay Leaf. Bay Leaf should have been #5.
Today was a hot mess what with computer issues and inclement weather but other than frizzy hair concerns my daughter was taking it in stride. I think she appreciated the break. Come 4:30 pm she had a full schedule of parties to attend! She was thrilled and I was thrilled for her! The houses making up the twelve were not all of her top picks, nor were the deleted houses ones that she didn’t have recommendations for (which is what I expected would happen.)
Day 1: she visited,
Nutmeg – she loved them even more. She felt they were fun, goofy and at the same time very committed to their philanthropy.
Thyme – continues to love this organization. She said there was lots of commitment shown by the women in this house.
Jasmine – did not feel that they were committed to their philanthropy.
Rosemary – really enjoyed all the women she met. While she really felt they could do a lot more for their philanthropy, she feels a personal commitment to their cause. She was already thinking of ways that she might fit in to help Rosemary make a bigger impact on campus and in the community.
Ginger – OK.
Cinnamon – she texted me that the interaction was “awkward.” When I was able to talk with her she said that the woman she spoke with had absolutely no knowledge, let alone commitment to, the cause they supported.
Day 2: of Philanthropy Round,
Lavender – loves them, loves their philanthropy (she provided service to a related group in elementary school for several years.)
Marjoram – good experience.
Saffron – good experience.
Sage – loves them and feels they are a very committed group.
Cilantro – did not feel that they were committed to their philanthropy.
Allspice – did not feel that they were as committed as they could be.
After the Philanthropy round she ranked the groups as follows:
1. Nutmeg
2. Lavender
3. Sage
4. Rosemary
5. Thyme
6. Saffron
7. Marjoram
8. Ginger

Others: 9) Cinnamon, 10) Cilantro, 11) Jasmine, 12) Allspice,

Katmandu 08-31-2012 07:44 PM

fun story! Especially helpful is the discussion of how you and your daughter went about securing recs. That process prepared her well for the conversations and situations of recruitment.

ScarlettRed 08-31-2012 07:55 PM

I agree about the Recs, such good suggestions. I am hoping she ends up in Lavender.

gee_ess 09-01-2012 12:09 AM

I love the thyme alum who broke out in song when they met for the rec! Rooting for thyme!

jenidallas 09-01-2012 12:13 AM

Another fan of Lavender!!!

pinapple 09-01-2012 10:51 AM

Really like this story too! Keep going.....

NutBrnHair 09-01-2012 03:01 PM

Loving it... More, please!

carnation 09-01-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee_ess (Post 2174338)
I love the thyme alum who broke out in song when they met for the rec! Rooting for thyme!

We had something like this happen! I was walking through the mall parking lot 10 years ago and this elderly alum we knew leapt out in front of me and started yelling, "Zeta, Zeta, Z-T-A!", complete with hand motions. Then she looked around and said, "Wait, are your twins with you?" Me: "No!" She was sooooooo embarrassed.