GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Dating & Relationships (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Tunnel Entrance at Weddings (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=70792)

PM_Mama00 09-27-2005 10:27 PM

Tunnel Entrance at Weddings

Ok so I always loved this at the weddings I've been to in NY and I've never seen it done in Michigan.

When the bridal party is announced, the ushers line up on one side, the bridesmaids across from them, and then when the bride and groom are announced, they put their arms up to make a tunnel. Sometimes if there are ribbons on the bouquets the guys hold the ribbons. Then the bride and groom circle around once or twice or something, and then finally go through.

What is the meaning of this tradition? Cuz I love it and when I get married I'd love to do it.

valkyrie 09-28-2005 01:04 AM

Please tell me this is a joke.

PM_Mama00 09-28-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by valkyrie
Please tell me this is a joke.
Why? It's actually a really nice tradition.

_Lisa_ 09-28-2005 11:41 AM

I haven't seem them circle around twice but my cousin Kim (who is from Atlanta) walked through a "tunnel" after she & her husband were announced. It was done after the wedding as they walked down the aisle & out of the church.

All the bridesmaids & groomsmen lined up & they created the tunnel w/ their arms. The bridesmaids had little bouquets w/ ribbons hanging down so my cousin & her husband walked through the ribbons & continued down the aisle.

Sistermadly 09-28-2005 12:25 PM

I've seen it done at military weddings, but generally it's just a military honor guard who holds up sabers (swords) for the bride to pass through before the ceremony, and again after the couple is married.

UKTriDelt 09-28-2005 09:26 PM

Ooh I don't think I'd want to walk through people's arms like that. I just have visions of wafts of bad B.O. hitting me in the face as I walk through or someone's arm knocking my hair out of place. Walking under people's arms just seems a little cheesy... I completely respect the military sword tunnel though, much cleaner looking overall.

valkyrie 09-28-2005 09:31 PM

Isn't the tunnel something they do in square dancing? I tried to look it up earlier, but there are only so many square dancing sites I can handle in a day.

xo_kathy 09-28-2005 09:58 PM

I've never seen the circling here (NY), but when the dj asked me if I wanted to do the tunnel I said "No way! I hate it. We don't do it where I'm from and I think it's cheesy" (Yes, I'm a Michigander). He laughed and said it's starting to become unpopular and he only gets the request about half the time now.

No clue on the history of it...

PM_Mama00 09-28-2005 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xo_kathy
I've never seen the circling here (NY), but when the dj asked me if I wanted to do the tunnel I said "No way! I hate it. We don't do it where I'm from and I think it's cheesy" (Yes, I'm a Michigander). He laughed and said it's starting to become unpopular and he only gets the request about half the time now.

No clue on the history of it...

Lol that could be true, seeing as though my last NY cousin to get married was in 1995! I duno I like it!

xo_kathy 09-28-2005 10:15 PM

But they are also Brooklyn Italians, right? They are a group that still do it a LOT. My friend just married a NJ Italian who isn't even that "into" his culture and they did the tunnel!

RedRoseSAI 09-28-2005 11:06 PM

They do it at Orthodox Jewish weddings. The bridesmaids get really into it with all sorts of flowers and garland. Of course, my observation is based on having attended exactly 1 Orthodox Jewish wedding.

kdonline 09-29-2005 02:43 AM

I've been to a few Orthodox Jewish weddings & I don't recall it being done...so I don't think it's part of their ceremony.

The only time I've seen a tunnel was when the groom was in the Navy.

I think it's just something that people have picked up on...kind of like the "throwing of the garter."

(I didn't have a tunnel, nor did I throw the garter...but I DID toss my bouquet.)

RedRoseSAI 09-29-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kdonline
I've been to a few Orthodox Jewish weddings & I don't recall it being done...so I don't think it's part of their ceremony.

I wasn't during the ceremony, it was at the reception. At any rate, it was an interesting experience to say the least.

LightBulb 09-29-2005 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sistermadly
I've seen it done at military weddings, but generally it's just a military honor guard who holds up sabers (swords) for the bride to pass through before the ceremony, and again after the couple is married.
Awesome!

WCUgirl 09-29-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sistermadly
We sort of had this. It was done immediately after we had been married, on our way down the aisle. The Honor Guard had their swords raised, and right when we got to the end the last guy lowered his sword so we couldn't pass through. Then I got "whacked." :)

We didn't walk through one entering the reception, though.