GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Is it worth trying to rush again ? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244995)

Greeq 09-30-2018 10:00 PM

Is it worth trying to rush again ?

I rushed for the first time as a sophomore, but Put in a suicide bid and didn't get in. My school has a few sororities, not usually competitive, out of all of them, there was one that I was under no circumstances willing to join. Lo and behold, I ended up with 2 bids for my pref, one from a sorority I was in love with, and one that I did not want at all.Long story short it, did not work out.
I know I'm responsible for it, but all I have for a long time is a place to call home and that is why I rushed. I am an international student and (I'm not exactly sorority type of pretty, I dont have long hair, I don't wear pretty dresses, I have a side shave and I don't love makeup) and I thought being in a sorority will make me feel a little bit like home. I am now a junior, and a lot has changed, Even though I still refuse to join that one sorority, should I try again or is it not worth rushing again looking at the results from last time.
I also got to a PWI, even though I wish it wasn't It is a factor that I think plays a role in decisions.

andthen 09-30-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeq (Post 2461488)
I rushed for the first time as a sophomore, but Put in a suicide bid and didn't get in. My school has a few sororities, not usually competitive, out of all of them, there was one that I was under no circumstances willing to join. Lo and behold, I ended up with 2 bids for my pref, one from a sorority I was in love with, and one that I did not want at all.Long story short it, did not work out.
I know I'm responsible for it, but all I have for a long time is a place to call home and that is why I rushed. I am an international student and (I'm not exactly sorority type of pretty, I dont have long hair, I don't wear pretty dresses, I have a side shave and I don't love makeup) and I thought being in a sorority will make me feel a little bit like home. I am now a junior, and a lot has changed, Even though I still refuse to join that one sorority, should I try again or is it not worth rushing again looking at the results from last time.
I also got to a PWI, even though I wish it wasn't It is a factor that I think plays a role in decisions.

I’m not sure why you are so against one particular group and frankly it’s not relevant. But honestly if you’re not willing to accept a bid from any group I wouldn’t waste your time or theirs. I’m just not going to tell you it’s sunny outside if it’s raining.

thetalady 09-30-2018 11:38 PM

Sorority recruitment is not "pitch till you win". I am afraid that your best chance has passed, but you know that already.

Greeq 10-01-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andthen (Post 2461491)
I’m not sure why you are so against one particular group and frankly it’s not relevant. But honestly if you’re not willing to accept a bid from any group I wouldn’t waste your time or theirs. I’m just not going to tell you it’s sunny outside if it’s raining.

I’m against them because they still haze and have been on and off probation for the last 6 years. The year that I rushed, they were put on probation again for hazing, I do not want to affiliate myself with or subject myself to that kind of behavior

AnchorAlumna 10-01-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeq (Post 2461488)

What is a "PWI?"

33girl 10-01-2018 04:12 PM

Predominantly White Institution

kitekat 10-01-2018 09:34 PM

Think hard about what you’re looking to gain from sorority membership. Membership is intended to be for a lifetime. If it’s something you truly want and are willing to commit to, I say go for it and try again.

I’m fuzzy on the details, but my understanding is that “suicide” or SIP hurts your chances of getting your first choice depending where you are on the bid list. Try COB if it’s an option.