GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chapter Operations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Ways to take attendance at chapter? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=136702)

candygirl200413 11-11-2013 11:19 PM

at my school they just go through saying Ms. ___ and you say here or not, but then again my chapter is about 130-140 girls

adpiucf 11-11-2013 11:37 PM

Chapter of 200 would call out last names in alpha order. It worked fine. If there were girls with the same last name, they would be called out by last name, first name. It was fine. Sometimes, to make it fun, instead of saying here, we would have to name our favorite city, favorite place for a date, favorite fraternity, etc. Always a good laugh.

DubaiSis 11-12-2013 12:14 AM

Roll call may be tedious, but it is a good way to get to know the members' names. I can appreciate that it's a nuisance, but there are benefits to the old fashion way.

roses1978 03-19-2014 12:42 PM

Attendance with phone

Chapter size 180. Arrange tables near room entrance & place poster board on the table. Color coordinated for each year in school. Draw a grid with each member's name on one block. When they enter the room they place their phone on their square. Easy & quick way to take attendance. It also eliminates the distraction from phones making the meetings quicker & more efficient!

ggforever 03-19-2014 03:22 PM

Our chapter uses clickers assigned to each woman to take roll. They also use them for voting - much easier and faster than counting hands/paper ballots. These are the I-Clickers that the women use in many of their classes. They are all familiar with the way they work. There was an investment by the chapter for the technology but it works well and is easy to install.

LAblondeGPhi 03-19-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggforever (Post 2266228)
Our chapter uses clickers assigned to each woman to take roll. They also use them for voting - much easier and faster than counting hands/paper ballots. These are the I-Clickers that the women use in many of their classes. They are all familiar with the way they work. There was an investment by the chapter for the technology but it works well and is easy to install.

I believe i-clicker has an app now, although that kind of invites phone distractions during chapter.

We use an app called n-class at school, although it's a startup so the software is a little buggy.

agzg 03-19-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roses1978 (Post 2266216)
Chapter size 180. Arrange tables near room entrance & place poster board on the table. Color coordinated for each year in school. Draw a grid with each member's name on one block. When they enter the room they place their phone on their square. Easy & quick way to take attendance. It also eliminates the distraction from phones making the meetings quicker & more efficient!

This strikes me as completely genius and I wish I had done it during the last chapter visit I did.

maconmagnolia 03-19-2014 06:22 PM

We have a chapter with about 300 girls in it. We have the chapter guard wait at the door and we line up alphabetically. The guard has a list of every girl in the chapter (minus those excused for the semester due to an evening class, etc.) and she checks your name off as you walk in. Usually only takes about 15 minutes to get everyone inside.

HQWest 03-20-2014 12:28 PM

One of the other chapters has a velcro board
Each girl has a velcro strip with her name on it. As they come in, each girl pulls her strip off and puts it in a basket.
The secretary knows the names that did not get pulled are absent
She might call just those names to see if some one snuck in late

Another group did the same thing but with their magnetic name tags
As you came in you grabbed you name tag and put it on
This would cost more - but be really easy if you needed name tags for recruitment anyways and easier to make sure no one pulled someone elses tag.

Splash 03-20-2014 05:23 PM

Not my chapter:

When the girls walked into the chapter room in the house, there were two guards. One did the secret handshake with the girl and was told the password. The other had an iPad and had some attendance app that she just checked off each girl and when everyone was inside, it said who was missing.

ZTA zetahunny 01-22-2016 02:46 PM

Divide your chapter into "Founders Groups" or similar Family Groups and have one person in each group count the 15 or 20 girls in her group.

honeychile 01-22-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteviolet (Post 2249059)
My chapter has taken roll three different ways:
(snipped)
3) Every girl had to write their name on a dollar (!!) and turn it in. All money went to our philanthropy.

I really like this way!

Just for kicks, how we did it at my school (Total was 55) was the Secretary calling out the names, and each sister had to respond with the name of another chapter. The favorite one to use (but is no longer active) was "Alpha Delta, Colby College, Waterville, Maine" which for some strange reason we all said, using a country-style accent. I know, weird.

mizdove 01-22-2016 04:44 PM

My chapter (over 300 girls) uses student IDs to check in. The chapter has everyone's student ID # and their name so they know who we are. The VP Communications (who's in charge of attendance) has several card swipers. They plug in to a laptop in the USB port. Her committee members bring their laptops and swipe everyone in before chapter. It's really easy and convenient. I'm assuming it connects to a document of some sort that creates a list of who was there. We just hand them our student ID card and they swipe us in! The card swipers are pretty common at my school for taking attendance, I've had to swipe in for class events in the past and a required career fair.

NWguy 01-22-2016 10:58 PM

300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.

mizdove 01-22-2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWguy (Post 2402300)
300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.

Tis sorority life in the SEC! Only 70ish of us live in house and I believe it's a similar number in other houses at my school.