GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   going through recruitment again... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=118906)

23girl 03-16-2011 01:43 AM

going through recruitment again...

i went through recruitment last year and i got the sorority i wanted (: but things took a turn and my mom was uneasy with that idea, she wanted me to get a feel of school first before diving into anything. so after a week of deciding, i decided to drop my sorority for the sake of the relationship with my mom. ever since, all of the girls in my pledge class has received bigs, gotten their letters, and it made me realize what i missed out on. i know i can't go back in anytime this semester and i know i gotta wait til fall for recruitment. but will the girls see me as the girl who dropped...would they still want me?, will look at me and say why would we want a girl who'd just flake. i feel like all these things would stop me from going back in, but i didn't wish for this to happen, i feel like i belong with that sorority, and i want it more than anything. do you think i could get another shot at it? could i ask for my bid to re-extended to me? do most sororities do that? is that possible?

AnotherKD 03-16-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23girl (Post 2038840)
i went through recruitment last year and i got the sorority i wanted (: but things took a turn and my mom was uneasy with that idea, she wanted me to get a feel of school first before diving into anything. so after a week of deciding, i decided to drop my sorority for the sake of the relationship with my mom. ever since, all of the girls in my pledge class has received bigs, gotten their letters, and it made me realize what i missed out on. i know i can't go back in anytime this semester and i know i gotta wait til fall for recruitment. but will the girls see me as the girl who dropped...would they still want me?, will look at me and say why would we want a girl who'd just flake. i feel like all these things would stop me from going back in, but i didn't wish for this to happen, i feel like i belong with that sorority, and i want it more than anything. do you think i could get another shot at it? could i ask for my bid to re-extended to me? do most sororities do that? is that possible?

Pretty much.

AZ-AlphaXi 03-16-2011 08:57 AM

You should talk with the chapter pledge educator or chapter president. You are still bound to that sorority for the one calendar year period. If they want and they are not at total, they can re-pledge you at any time during that year and prior to next formal recruitment period.

DeltaBetaBaby 03-16-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi (Post 2038871)
You should talk with the chapter pledge educator or chapter president. You are still bound to that sorority for the one calendar year period. If they want and they are not at total, they can re-pledge you at any time during that year and prior to next formal recruitment period.

Actually, I don't think it matters if they are at total. From the UA:

"A woman who has had her pledge broken by an NPC fraternity, or who has broken her pledge to an NPC fraternity, may not be asked to join another NPC fraternity on that campus for one calendar year from the date she was originally pledged. However, she may be repledged by the same NPC fraternity chapter at any time within that calendar year. (6)"

I'm not sure what would happen if they had done COBing to "replace" women that they had lost, but if they took quota during FR putting them over total, and she dropped, they can take her back, as I understand it.

33girl 03-16-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2038875)
Actually, I don't think it matters if they are at total. From the UA:

"A woman who has had her pledge broken by an NPC fraternity, or who has broken her pledge to an NPC fraternity, may not be asked to join another NPC fraternity on that campus for one calendar year from the date she was originally pledged. However, she may be repledged by the same NPC fraternity chapter at any time within that calendar year. (6)"

I'm not sure what would happen if they had done COBing to "replace" women that they had lost, but if they took quota during FR putting them over total, and she dropped, they can take her back, as I understand it.

They can take her back even if they're at total.

DeltaBetaBaby 03-16-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2038921)
They can take her back even if they're at total.

Is that ALWAYS the case? Let's say, for example, total is 100. They go into FR with 75 and quota is 25. They make quota, they are at total. Now, 23girl drops, and they COB one girl to get to a total of 100. If she changes her mind, can they take her back? Then the chapter would have taken 26 women and be at a total size of 101. That's what seems a little odd to me.

In any case, 23girl, you should explain your situation to someone IN the chapter, and see if they can and will repledge you.

33girl 03-16-2011 02:30 PM

She's bound to them per the Green Book. That trumps total.

23girl 03-16-2011 05:32 PM

So, should I go into formal recruitment this fall, or should I talk to someone first before going into recruitment?

ProudandTrue 03-16-2011 05:44 PM

Talk to someone NOW. If you are actually serious about it, do not wait for fall.

23girl 03-16-2011 06:13 PM

Should I be asking just any member?

KKGCaroline 03-16-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi (Post 2038871)
You should talk with the chapter pledge educator or chapter president.

^^ agree

23girl 03-16-2011 06:46 PM

if i were to wait until fall, would that slim my chances down to getting into the sorority i was originally in?

Optimus Prime 03-16-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23girl (Post 2038998)
if i were to wait until fall, would that slim my chances down to getting into the sorority i was originally in?

You should take someone's previous advice and talk to the president or membership vp now. I really wouldn't wait till the last minute.

ASTalumna06 03-16-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23girl (Post 2038998)

Take the advice you were already given.

Think of it from the chapter's perspective... PNM goes through recruitment, gets a bid, decides she's done a week into pledging, then goes through recruitment again the next year.. Where she can look at ALL of the chapters again.

If you were one of the sisters, would you assume that this PNM wanted to join your chapter again?

And why put yourself through recruitment again if you don't have to?

AZTheta 03-16-2011 07:27 PM

Look. Pick up the phone and call the Chapter President. She'll take it from there. Coming here to ask us is not productive; we're not in a position to be of any influence. We don't know your school and if (for example) it's an SEC school, you might have blown your only chance to be Greek. Again, we don't know, and for the love of Mike, don't give out any details.

You've been given great advice from several experienced GCers. Act on it.

Personally, I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that it works out for you. Now, stop dithering. Pick up the phone. The worst thing that can happen is that you will be told "no" and that doesn't put you in any different of a situation than you're currently in (i.e. no membership). Then, you'll just have to go through recruitment again in the fall and take your chances.