GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

PKT4LIFE 11-01-2018 10:51 PM

Per Gamma Phi Beta 10/29/18 FB post, they are colonizing at the University of Kentucky in Fall 2019.

LaneSig 11-02-2018 10:08 AM

Congratulations to Pi Kappa Phi on their recent charter at Grand Valley State University(MI).

LXA SE285 11-02-2018 10:51 AM

Kappa Alpha Theta is closing its chapter at Ole Miss, according to the Daily Mississippian, the school newspaper. The article below quotes an email from Theta's national president.

http://thedmonline.com/theta-leaving-campus

AZTheta 11-02-2018 11:16 AM

Thank you LXA SE285 for sharing the news article which contains facts and direct quotes from internal communications (but when you send an email, all bets are off - right?). If people read the article they'll get a glimpse of what the Epsilon Zeta chapter has been up against for a very long time. Extensive fraternity support has not made a significant difference there, for reasons beyond anyone's control. This is a complex and complicated situation. Theta is not the first to pull a charter for low membership, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying to change outcomes. Anyone who knows anything about the Greek culture of Ole Miss isn't surprised at this closure.

Chapter closures are always painful and this one especially stings, not only for Kappa Alpha Theta, but for the Panhellenic community at Ole Miss. Other NPC sororities are going to look long and hard at this closure before submitting for extension.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. Everything happens for a purpose and a reason. blah blah blah.

celebcj 11-02-2018 01:07 PM

I really wonder how much the variable quota affected the chapter.
All the chapter sizes are quite large with pledge classes in the hundreds, so UM does really need the additional chapter, so this is a concerning loss.

Iota_JWH 11-02-2018 01:51 PM

It is so sad when a chapter closes for low membership when the overall numbers on that campus are high. This just shows how much the PNMs listen to "tent talk". I hope Thetas re-install their chapter in 5 years, but the culture at Ole Miss is not very welcoming.

OleMissGlitter 11-02-2018 03:54 PM

Theta--Ole Miss

It is all very sad in my opinion. My Panhellenic heart is sad. I'm sad for the women who are new members who have to decide if they want to be initiated or not now. I'm sad for the initiated sisters. I really think Theta could have made it at Ole Miss. I understand their Exec. Boards concerns. I know this was not something they just thought of doing last week. I almost hope Ole Miss Panhellenic extends them some sort of opportunity to return in 5 years. I too have wondered if variable quota hurt them. Also, the constant renovations and new additions to current chapter houses has been continuous. So just when you can keep up with the Joneses they refinance and renovate. You know how that old saying goes.

But I'm sad for the alumnae of EZ and the current collegiate members. My daughters would be Theta legacies too one day. I hope they return.

33girl 11-02-2018 06:00 PM

At least they will have some time to just enjoy their sisterhood and living together without the constant COBing and recruiting.

FSUZeta 11-02-2018 06:18 PM

Until the culture at Ole Miss changes (and can that really happen?) new groups will be vulnerable.

thetalady 11-02-2018 08:45 PM

As an alumna of the Theta chapter at Ole Miss, my heart is broken for myself and my sisters. The atmosphere among sororities AND fraternities at Ole Miss is nothing short of toxic. The tier system there is absolutely carved in stone and if you aren't on top, you are crapped on. The constant bullying and belittlement of Thetas on this campus has been unbelievable. Those women are incredibly strong to have risen above it for so long. No one at Ole Miss even knows what happened or remembers why Thetas became "that" house.

Frankly, I hope that Theta never returns to Ole Miss. The system there will not change just because they beat us down. This is the school where NPC nationals had to come in and hold a meeting of all sorority members to talk to them about how badly they all behaved toward one another just a few short years ago. Ever hear of that being done? The Greeks had to be instructed to be CIVIL to each other.

It didn't work.

jolene 11-03-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2462349)
As an alumna of the Theta chapter at Ole Miss, my heart is broken for myself and my sisters. The atmosphere among sororities AND fraternities at Ole Miss is nothing short of toxic. The tier system there is absolutely carved in stone and if you aren't on top, you are crapped on. The constant bullying and belittlement of Thetas on this campus has been unbelievable. Those women are incredibly strong to have risen above it for so long. No one at Ole Miss even knows what happened or remembers why Thetas became "that" house.

Frankly, I hope that Theta never returns to Ole Miss. The system there will not change just because they beat us down. This is the school where NPC nationals had to come in and hold a meeting of all sorority members to talk to them about how badly they all behaved toward one another just a few short years ago. Ever hear of that being done? The Greeks had to be instructed to be CIVIL to each other.

It didn't work.

Wow! I had no idea Ole Miss was that toxic. I know with many SEC schools the tiers are set in steel. How does a campus remove that?

FSUZeta 11-03-2018 12:34 PM

It's not just a campus problem, it is also perpetuated by the alums.

Polyglot 11-03-2018 01:16 PM

Delta Delta Delta announced yesterday that it will temporarily suspend the operations of Gamma Theta chapter at UC Santa Barbara next year after a 31-year run, due to "several years of declining membership numbers," which have made it impossible to carry on. The suspension will begin next June at the end of the current academic year and last for a minimum of four years, after which it is hoped that the chapter can start up again with the support of the university and loyal local alumnae.

In the cruel world of top/middle/bottom tier ranking, Tri Delta and Gamma Phi Beta have been at the low end at UCSB for some time and their numbers have been on the downhill slide. A lot of senior members at Tri Delta graduated last June, and this year fewer girls went through UCSB's formal recruitment than last year, and so from what I've heard, Tri Delta's national and NPC jointly halted the chapter's participation in formal recruitment after Day 2 (of 5), in some kind of triage to allow stronger sororities better opportunities to recruit full quotas. Then the chapter was given one month to recruit 50 PNMs through COB or be suspended. They couldn't, and they were.

The social and political climate at University of California campuses can be unfavorable for recruiting in general -- that doesn't help. Also, there's an awful lot of fun things to do in SoCal without going Greek. Delta Delta Delta suspended UCLA after 2017-18, for low numbers, and a chapter at California Polytechnic University (Cal Poly), a state school just up the coast in San Luis Obispo, also got shut down years ago for the same reason.

Hopefully Tri Delta will reopen at UCSB in 2023 or soon after with a clean slate and a new generation of students on campus, reborn without the "bottom tier" stigma. It's sad though.

33girl 11-03-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polyglot (Post 2462357)
Then the chapter was given one month to recruit 50 PNMs through COB or be suspended. They couldn't, and they were.

50 COBs in a month? Geez. How about a Beatles reunion while you’re at it?

Polyglot 11-03-2018 01:40 PM

Yup, including the physical resurrection of John and George. And this was to happen immediately following the formal recruitment period, when the pool of prospects was bone-dry.

I'm sorry about the double-post, not sure how it happened. Please delete the second one!

oncegreek 11-03-2018 01:52 PM

Greek tiers at UCSB are pretty rigid, unfortunately. Since 1981, AGD, KD, Gamma Phi, tri delta and Sigma Kappa have all colonized. The only one of those chapters that is still open is Gamma Phi Beta. Back in the early eighties, when I was there, many girls would rush with mindset that they would only join certain chapters. When they did not get those chapters they dropped. It sounds like nothing has changed.

oncegreek 11-03-2018 01:53 PM

Alpha Epsilon also colonized, and has since closed at UCSB.

FSUZeta 11-03-2018 02:15 PM

Always sad to hear of any chapter closing.

Just want to clarify quota as referred to in Polyglot's post. The simplified explanation of quota is the number of PNMs divided by the number of chapters participating, so DDD participating in formal recruitment would not have prevented other chapters of pledging quota-quota would've just been a lower number. Example: there are 20 PNMs and 4 sororities. Quota will be 5. If there are 5 sororities, quota will be 4.

KSUViolet06 11-04-2018 05:16 PM

Certainly not the level of "y'all suck so badly at being nice that your national president/exec board has to come in and tell you to knock it off."

But I have had the privilege of working with some chapters on different sides of Panhellenic toxicity.

OBSERVATION: THE GREATEST PERETRATORS OF TOXIC PANHELLENIC BEHAVIOR ARE NOT YOUR TOP TIER CHAPTERS. RARELY. The biggest perps were the middles and lower. The ones who have most to gain by Kappa not seeming "cool."

The chapters varied. Some were actively participating in it. Some were not partciipating, but rather doing nothing while other chapters behaved in a toxic manner.

bYSTANDER BEHAVIOR IS PROBABLY WORSE THAN BEING THE PERP.

Some of these girls were doing the bystander chapter thing of "Oh wow so glad that is not us." Hearing the tent talk, thinking how messed up it is, but not saying anything to dispel it. Seeing how other chapters talk about XYZ or DEF without saying anything.

This is what I always said (to those who were either perpetrating it or doing nothing as it happened to other chapters.) Based on a convo I had with the sister who works with our Panhellenic delegates:

You are only ever as strong as your weakest. Do what you can to build them up.

It is really easy to stand by and watch false info be spread about a chapter, let the tent talk about them get out of control because hey THAT BENEFITS YOU. Yes, believe it or not. It benefits you for everyone in recruitment to think Kappa sucks.

(Cue horror because like, we have never even done anything to Kappa. It's all DZ and Chi O doing that stuff. Or we are not even being mean we are just as small as Kappa.)

The idea that Kappa sucks does not really benefit the top tier chapter on campus. It benefits the middle so they prop up on it.

As long as everyone thinks Kappa sucks, people will see Sigma on the schedule and think "Oh no I got Sigma but hey at least it's not Kappa."

So when you hear something negative about Kappa, you let it slide. Hey, at least it's not you, and it makes middle and low tier Sigma look that much cooler. You may even say "Wow Kappa only got like 10 girls I wish they'd close."

What you don't see is that you are probably not that much bigger than Kappa and your entire idenity rests on being "not Kappa" in the totem pole.

So if Kappa closes, someone has to become the new Kappa.

Guess who the new Kappa is? Yep it's the Sigma chapter that stands by and goes "well at least we aren't Kappa." Or who lets Zeta openly mock Kappa. Or who laughs at fraternity jokes about about Kappa.

When you are in Kappa's spot (because you will be when Kappa closes) it will not feel as good.

ladybug12 11-04-2018 06:58 PM

Theta at Ole Miss

I hate to hear of Kappa Alpha Theta's closing at Ole Miss. There has been discussion about variable quota on this thread. I think that it has been a very good thing for most campuses when it has been implemented in order to let new chapters grow and offers weaker chapters the opportunity to catch up.

I know of campuses (especially in the SEC) where this has worked very well, but not in this instance. ADPi and Alpha Phi have come on campus at Ole Miss in the past 5 years and have become competitive for new members and COB.

I am assuming that KAT's national org realized that if they could not start to catch up over the past 3 years then this chapter could not recover. I do not like to hear that a college's Panhellenic is trying to "assist the chapter". They should have done that years ago.

33girl 11-04-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybug12 (Post 2462394)
I hate to hear of Kappa Alpha Theta's closing at Ole Miss. There has been discussion about variable quota on this thread. I think that it has been a very good thing for most campuses when it has been implemented in order to let new chapters grow and offers weaker chapters the opportunity to catch up.

You can have variable quota until the cows come home, but if girls don’t show up to bid day, withdraw from pledging, or terminate their membership in large numbers, it matters not one whit.

KSUViolet06 11-04-2018 07:26 PM

^^^Yes. If they're telling you frm jump street "I'd rather not be greek than be Theta" then it is not a recruitment structure/quota setting issue.

LaneSig 11-06-2018 09:10 AM

Congratulations to Phi Gamma Delta on the recent chartering at William & Mary University(VA).

LaneSig 11-07-2018 10:43 AM

Alpha Chi Omega has been invited to colonize at Northeastern University(MA) this spring. Congratulations and best wishes on colonization.

Titchou 11-08-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2462391)
Certainly not the level of "y'all suck so badly at being nice that your national president/exec board has to come in and tell you to knock it off."

But I have had the privilege of working with some chapters on different sides of Panhellenic toxicity.

OBSERVATION: THE GREATEST PERETRATORS OF TOXIC PANHELLENIC BEHAVIOR ARE NOT YOUR TOP TIER CHAPTERS. RARELY. The biggest perps were the middles and lower. The ones who have most to gain by Kappa not seeming "cool."

The chapters varied. Some were actively participating in it. Some were not partciipating, but rather doing nothing while other chapters behaved in a toxic manner.

bYSTANDER BEHAVIOR IS PROBABLY WORSE THAN BEING THE PERP.

Some of these girls were doing the bystander chapter thing of "Oh wow so glad that is not us." Hearing the tent talk, thinking how messed up it is, but not saying anything to dispel it. Seeing how other chapters talk about XYZ or DEF without saying anything.

This is what I always said (to those who were either perpetrating it or doing nothing as it happened to other chapters.) Based on a convo I had with the sister who works with our Panhellenic delegates:

You are only ever as strong as your weakest. Do what you can to build them up.

It is really easy to stand by and watch false info be spread about a chapter, let the tent talk about them get out of control because hey THAT BENEFITS YOU. Yes, believe it or not. It benefits you for everyone in recruitment to think Kappa sucks.

(Cue horror because like, we have never even done anything to Kappa. It's all DZ and Chi O doing that stuff. Or we are not even being mean we are just as small as Kappa.)

The idea that Kappa sucks does not really benefit the top tier chapter on campus. It benefits the middle so they prop up on it.

As long as everyone thinks Kappa sucks, people will see Sigma on the schedule and think "Oh no I got Sigma but hey at least it's not Kappa."

So when you hear something negative about Kappa, you let it slide. Hey, at least it's not you, and it makes middle and low tier Sigma look that much cooler. You may even say "Wow Kappa only got like 10 girls I wish they'd close."

What you don't see is that you are probably not that much bigger than Kappa and your entire idenity rests on being "not Kappa" in the totem pole.

So if Kappa closes, someone has to become the new Kappa.

Guess who the new Kappa is? Yep it's the Sigma chapter that stands by and goes "well at least we aren't Kappa." Or who lets Zeta openly mock Kappa. Or who laughs at fraternity jokes about about Kappa.

When you are in Kappa's spot (because you will be when Kappa closes) it will not feel as good.

I've given this exact PH speech at many conferences. Someone is going to be seen as on the bottom. And when that group leaves, someone has to take their place....it could be you.

bevinpiphi 11-08-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2462488)
I've given this exact PH speech at many conferences. Someone is going to be seen as on the bottom. And when that group leaves, someone has to take their place....it could be you.

As advisors, we told something very similar to our women, the advisors of other chapters, and Panhellenic/their advisors. Now there's a "yay Pi Phi's closing!" post on a ranking site....hey, now someone else has to be the bottom...and you'll wish you had lifted up your panhellenic sisters instead of engaging in or bystanding tent talk.

KSUViolet06 11-08-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevinpiphi (Post 2462489)
As advisors, we told something very similar to our women, the advisors of other chapters, and Panhellenic/their advisors. Now there's a "yay Pi Phi's closing!" post on a ranking site....hey, now someone else has to be the bottom...and you'll wish you had lifted up your panhellenic sisters instead of engaging in or bystanding tent talk.

This part.

It's all "YAY HAHA ZETA is closing omg they suck soooo bad" til you realize that someone is going to be the new Zeta.

The new Zeta is also usually the chapter that had the most trash to talk - that usually isn't really THAT different from Zeta or right above Zeta in reputation or opinion.

People have a lot to say about the most popular chapters on a campus but I rarely see the aggression coming down from them.

Always the middle and lower middle and "almost the worst but not quite thanks to Zeta."

ForrestGrump 11-08-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2462444)
Congratulations to Phi Gamma Delta on the recent chartering at William & Mary University(VA).

I just have to correct one thing -- it is the College of William & Mary (Go Tribe!). Otherwise, great to hear that Phi Gam is now on campus!

LaneSig 11-09-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForrestGrump (Post 2462491)
I just have to correct one thing -- it is the College of William & Mary (Go Tribe!). Otherwise, great to hear that Phi Gam is now on campus!

Thanks for the correction. I don't know why I made such an obvious mistake about the name of the school.

LaneSig 11-12-2018 10:54 AM

Many activities over the weekend/week.

Congratulations to the following groups on chartering:

Sigma Kappa- University of Alabama

Sigma Alpha Mu - University of Oregon

Congratulations to the following colonizations:

Kappa Delta Phi NAS- SUNY-Oswego

Delta Upsilon- University of Missouri

Xidelt 11-12-2018 11:06 AM

Delta Phi Epsilon chartered our new Zeta Kappa chapter at Union College this weekend.

APhi4Ever 11-12-2018 01:08 PM

Alpha Phi installed our Kappa Eta chapter at the University of Florida this weekend.

LaneSig 11-12-2018 05:03 PM

Also chartered this weekend:

Alpha Sigma Alpha - Columbia College(SC) - Iota Theta chapter

Zeta Tau Alpha - University of Texas-Tyler

irishpipes 11-12-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2462570)
Also chartered this weekend:

Alpha Sigma Alpha - Columbia College(SC) - Iota Theta chapter

Zeta Tau Alpha - University of Texas-Tyler

I wonder why ASA didn’t re-use the Gamma chapter designation?

33girl 11-12-2018 09:45 PM

I think there was a discussion on here as to whether that was the same Columbia College.

ETA: the Gamma chapter was located at Chicora College for Women which started in Greenville and then moved to Columbia. It no longer exists.

mlanderson 11-13-2018 07:22 PM

Just announced Delta Phi Epsilon will be recolonizing at the University of Tampa in Fall 2019! Bringing back our Delta Upsilon chapter!

LaneSig 11-14-2018 11:01 AM

Congratulations to Sigma Sigma Sigma on installing the first NPC chapter at the University of Illinois-Springfield. The chapter designation is Theta Lambda.

clemsongirl 11-15-2018 12:20 AM

Clemson Kappa Alpha Theta has been closed due to low membership numbers.

phoenix16 11-15-2018 01:21 AM

Delta Sigma Phi has been suspended at Indiana University. The Student Organization Ethics Board discipline list indicates it was for hazing and was in effect as of October 2, 2018.

https://studentaffairs.indiana.edu/d.../2018-2019.pdf

LaneSig 11-15-2018 09:10 AM

Phi Gamma Delta has been closed at Texas A&M University. Closure is due to violations of the university's alcohol and hazing rules. The violations came about due to investigation into the death of a new member.

https://abc13.com/texas-a-m-fraterni...death/4687513/