GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=236797)

KatieKate1244 10-22-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGirl (Post 2445197)
I remember a chapter president commenting "I don't care if they show up in a night gown and socks, as long as it's WHITE and not pants!"

I went to my new member pinning in a Halloween decoration I stole from my dorm :) But hey, it was the proper shade of white!

I've always thought people put too much thought into their ritual attire. I'm always surprised when people actually wear shoes during ritual.

33girl 10-22-2017 11:31 PM

It would be SO much easier if everyone just wore sequined catsuits :)

naraht 10-23-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2445414)

I'm convinced that people have started local fraternities/sororities for less significant reasons.

jolene 10-23-2017 01:39 PM

This is what us Alpha Xi Deltas wear for initiation ;)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendz-WOME.../dp/B00AXYF5FS
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1L._UY500_.jpg

honeychile 10-23-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

As they should!

This is what Alpha Delta Pi uses:

https://li4.rightinthebox.com/images...9496409580.jpg

But we frown at this:

https://li2.rightinthebox.com/images...9499986220.jpg

FSUZeta 10-23-2017 06:06 PM

Because that bottom one is clearly ours.

aephi alum 10-23-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2445401)
(But not as odd as when chapter initiation put me in the Emergency Room. :) )

Now that is a story I would love to hear! I won't ask for specifics, because it involves ritual - but I have to wonder if your ritual involves BASE jumping or something? :p

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2445432)
This is what us Alpha Xi Deltas wear for initiation ;)

With or without sequined pantyhose? ;)

JLCo 10-24-2017 01:29 AM

We found out that white or ivory dress is OK. Same goes for the shoes. No nude or natural-colored shoes. So, she is going to wear the off-white dress. I have looked everywhere for a fashionable pair of white shoes and have had little luck this time of year. I was hoping to find something now since she will have to wear white at future initiation ceremonies. I did find a pair of bright white leather pumps in my closet with a short heel which I never wore before because they just seemed too stark of a white. I went over them with tan shoe polish and buffed the polish off. We are left with an off-white shoe. They are super comfortable since I only ever bought comfortable pumps for work and she has the same shoe size.
Problem solved. We will look for a new white dress and shoes in the spring or summer when they have a better selection.

naraht 10-24-2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2445460)
Now that is a story I would love to hear! I won't ask for specifics, because it involves ritual - but I have to wonder if your ritual involves BASE jumping or something? :p

Wow! How did you guess? We packed the parachutes for the initiates just fine, but snagged the lines on mine... :)

After the ritual, while putting things away, I got up on a chair to take the US flag down off the chalkboards (That initiation was in a lecture hall) and tried to support myself on something that turned out to be sharp enough to seriously cut up the joints of two fingers. Three brothers (one of whom had just initiated) had EMT training and one was going on duty that night as an on call medic for the school and had his walkie-talkie with him. 15 minutes later the campus police had dropped me at the local emergency room and I ended up with 15 stitches and still have scars on the two fingers.

Lessons learned: Get help taking things down. Blindfolds make excellent temporary bandages. The Campus cops are more likely to believe you weren't hazed when you've been a brother for 3 years. :)

FSUZeta 10-24-2017 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLCo (Post 2445464)
We found out that white or ivory dress is OK. Same goes for the shoes. No nude or natural-colored shoes. So, she is going to wear the off-white dress. I have looked everywhere for a fashionable pair of white shoes and have had little luck this time of year. I was hoping to find something now since she will have to wear white at future initiation ceremonies. I did find a pair of bright white leather pumps in my closet with a short heel which I never wore before because they just seemed too stark of a white. I went over them with tan shoe polish and buffed the polish off. We are left with an off-white shoe. They are super comfortable since I only ever bought comfortable pumps for work and she has the same shoe size.
Problem solved. We will look for a new white dress and shoes in the spring or summer when they have a better selection.

That sounds like a great solution!

andthen 10-24-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2445472)
That sounds like a great solution!

I'm glad it worked out for your daughter and you were able to help her pull something together. Funny you mention about finding a dress for later use. Ironically, I ended up wearing my initiation dress when my husband and I got married in Vegas, so I felt better knowing my dress served dual purpose for two very significant events in my life. I didn't wear my white heels though. ;)

aephi alum 10-24-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLCo (Post 2445464)
<snip>Problem solved. We will look for a new white dress and shoes in the spring or summer when they have a better selection.

Glad to hear you were able to come up with a viable solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2445471)
<snip>Lessons learned: Get help taking things down. Blindfolds make excellent temporary bandages. The Campus cops are more likely to believe you weren't hazed when you've been a brother for 3 years. :)

That's one helluva story! Good thing you were able to get help so quickly - with a hand or finger wound, immediate attention and repair is imperative or you risk losing function in that finger or hand.

naraht 10-25-2017 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2445531)
Glad to hear you were able to come up with a viable solution.

That's one helluva story! Good thing you were able to get help so quickly - with a hand or finger wound, immediate attention and repair is imperative or you risk losing function in that finger or hand.

No repair needed, fortunately. Had an EMT looking at it within 15 seconds and in the emergency room within 10 minutes. Had to replace all of the blindfolds though.

FSUZeta 10-25-2017 06:14 AM

We came to loathe our white dresses so much that we threatened to use them to start a bonfire to celebrate graduation. In the end several of us "left" our dresses to the chapter in case anyone could use them in future.

honeychile 10-25-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2445445)
Because that bottom one is clearly ours.

Of course, the bottom one is yours! Shiny spandex wasn't invented yet in 1851!

For those wondering about the catsuits, it's KillarneyRose's Fault!

Y'all will have to look up the sequined pantyhose yourselves!