GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Princeton Review - Greek Life & Party Rankings (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=9826)

Pike4Life 08-24-2001 09:02 AM

Princeton Review - Greek Life & Party Rankings

The Princeton Review just released their rankings of Colleges and Universitie. Included in the "Parties" category are the top 20 party schools and the top 20 "major fraternity and sorority scene." There are a variety of categories (acdemics, quality of life, etc.). The rankings are based on surveys of current students. For more information go to:
http://www.review.com/college/rankings.cfm

----------

Parties: Major frat and sorority scene

1. Washington and Lee University
2. DePauw University
3. Centre College
4. Pennsylvania State University
5. University of Michigan
6. Michigan State University
7. Ohio University-Athens
8. University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
9. Florida State University
10. University of Texas-Austin
11. Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge
12. University of Colorado-Boulder
13. University of Florida
14. University of Tennessee-Knoxville
15. University of Georgia
16. Lafayette College
17. Vanderbilt University
18. University of Mississippi
19. Colgate University
20. Southern Methodist University

---------------------------------------------
Top Party Schools:

1. University of Tennessee-Knoxville
2. Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge
3. University of California-Santa Cruz
4. Florida State University
5. University of Colorado-Boulder
6. University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
7. Saint Bonaventure University
8. Ohio State University-Columbus
9. University of Wisconsin-Madison
10. University of Florida
11. University of New Hampshire
12. University of Georgia
13. University of Texas-Austin
14. Tulane University
15. Lehigh University
16. New York University
17. Colgate University
18. University of Vermont
19. Southern Methodist University
20. University of California-Santa Barbara

Just for Whatever You think it's Worth!
Any Comments?

AlphaChiGirl 08-24-2001 09:52 AM

As arbitrary as these sound, it's probably more accurate than those horrid USNews rankings, which rank schools based on endowment and whatnot.

I think it's intriguing that the majority of schools on both of the posted lists are Southern Schools. For the most part, these are also the same schools listed under "Their Students Almost Never Study"--and none of these were listed under "The Toughest to Get into". :rolleyes:

IowaHawkeye 08-24-2001 09:54 AM

For major Greek Scene I am very surprised the University of Illinois isn't listed - they have a huge greek population.

Sunny 08-24-2001 11:42 AM

Eeekkk! We're down to number 20!! Well, people are going to be b*tching about THAT in september! Administration will love it though. Will someone PLEASE explain how UC Santa Cruz is number 3?!?! Being a california native, who goes to a UC and knows people at UCSC, I just don't get it!!

MoxieGrrl 08-24-2001 01:13 PM

Are they talking fraternity/sorority scene as in "we have 28 fraternities and 24 sororities" or is it the number of students who are Greek?

I go to a small (799) college in West -by- Gawd- Virginia where the Greek population is 80%. We only have 4 sororities and 6 fraternities though.

I *love* reading these reviews! Thanks for posting it! ;)

BrianMUDU 08-24-2001 01:31 PM

Moxie,

I think it is kinda funny how you just said how many fraternities and sororities Miami University had, and you probably just threw out some random numbers. Actually, I think we have 27 now, so you were very close.

HeidiHo 08-24-2001 01:32 PM

Off the subject a little bit- Being from Cincinnati and having a bit of a rivalry with Miami Ohio, I thought it was sooo funny that Miami is the number one most borring school, prof-wise. LOL :D
Heidi

veruca76 08-24-2001 01:55 PM

CU-Boulder is #12 for greek scene?!?

I think it's odd that barely 12% of the student population involved with a fairly vocal anti-greek population and NO support from administration puts us up that high. Sometimes I think these rankings are based on years of reputation rather than the actual present reality.

Harmony 08-24-2001 02:20 PM

My guess is they rate the greek scene part just be the general greek presence on campus? Penn State has the largest greek system in the country, but they're not #1, so it can't be by pure numbers.

PM_Mama00 08-24-2001 03:34 PM

Wow, I always thought that Univ of Michigan and MSU were always on the big party list. Have they cracked down or something? :eek:

newbie 08-24-2001 07:08 PM

I don't know, it seems like these rankings aren't really accurate - students themselves go to the review site and vote...but i mean i'm sure the voting gets screwed up somehow, being not scientific or whatnot.

Interesting that UCSC is number 3 on the party list. Living in the Bay area and having numerous of my friends who go there, I have never heard that UCSC is a party school. Instead, I heard it's totally laid-back and has a chill-atmosphere...definitely not what I would envision as a party school?? :confused:

cutetiger 08-25-2001 01:53 AM

well lookie there....LSU made onto both lists....for another year in a row.....again. lol

UMgirl 08-25-2001 03:57 AM

As a recent UM alum, I would just like to ask....how the heck did we get #5 for Top Fraternity and Sorority Scene? I mean I love our system but only 18% of the campus makes it up and thats kinda of small for having 15 sororities and 31 fraternities. Plus UM is about as anti-greek as it can get. However, we it comes down to it we greeks do make ourselves and causes known on campus, so i guess that helps.
As far as UM being a party school...it really isnt. I thought it would be huge when I arrived but it wasnt and people said it had been that way for awhile. So im not a bit surprised we arent on the list for that.

Miami1839 08-25-2001 11:02 AM

Heidi,

How funny :)

Kevin

Off the subject a little bit- Being from Cincinnati and having a bit of a rivalry with Miami Ohio, I thought it was sooo funny that Miami is the number one most borring school, prof-wise. LOL :D
Heidi
[/QUOTE]

prospectiverushee 08-25-2001 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cutetiger
well lookie there....LSU made onto both lists....for another year in a row.....again. lol
[COLOR=green]

Amazing isn't it? :) Hey, I added you to my buddy list. Can't wait to hear all about things that are going on at LSU