GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Kappa Alpha (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Top 20 Cities 4 Af Ams: Af Am Rep Gubernatorial Candidate (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=24679)

Steeltrap 10-14-2002 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sharpstyle

I wouldn't have put Baltimore on the list and Im B-More born and raised! There are some good things about this city but I dont necessarily agree with it being a good city for African Americans with our deteriorating public school system and how students of HBCU's like Morgan State have to protest, beg and pleed for a decent library when other schools seem to get whatever they want....I could go on and on!:mad:

I am also shocked Los Angeles is so high on the list? :confused: With all the drama that goes on there! I lived in LA for 3 years and it was very nice but there were some crazy things happening!

I lived about seven years in L.A., mainly as a college student. I suspect that L.A. ranked high on the list because there's still a goodly number of AfAms who own their own homes and have decent employment. Most of these people, however, are older and bought property before 1973, when things really started to take off and housing prices basically started to go unaffordable.

The average new single-family house where I live cost $300K and up, and FHA doesn't cover all the loan costs. And with the average rent around here being $1,000 or more a month, it is very hard to save for a down payment.

The part of Los Angeles that I lived in, View Park, was full of middle-class AfAm folks. Some would refer to them as the black bourgeoisie. ;)

RedefinedDiva 10-14-2002 05:21 PM

I haven't been to all of the cities, but I don't see a problem with any of the cities on the list. Personally, I feel that all of the cities are very nice in terms of being suitable for African American families. Of course, there is violence and crime that runs rampant in these cities, but that doesn't discount them as being the worst place on Earth. Sometimes, when you have been in a place for so long, it starts to affect the way that you think about it. It's hard to watch your city evolve from a place that you could go to sleep and not have to lock your door to a city where you now have to get six extra locks installed. I feel the same way about my city, but at the same time, I have friends that would give their left arm to be here for just a week. With all things, bad comes with the good. We just have to not let the bad warp our view of the good.

PositivelyAKA 10-29-2002 08:37 PM

Interesting

all of these cities have some areas that are nice for blacks, but in general i was susprised to see the ranking. can't say that i agree all that much but its interesting nonetheless.

Tanzanite 10-30-2002 11:14 PM

Atlanta not so nice!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Shani26
Wow that's surprising...wasn't it just a few years ago when Atlanta was considered the best city for blacks?:confused: What happend???

Don't get me wrong I love the ATL shawty; however, it isn' that Atlanta is not a good city for blacks in terms of culture. I am studying City and Regional Planning now in grad school which has opened my eyes to a lot of cities in the U.S. Atlanta is the number one city in the nation for sprawl (uncontrolled growth). Atlanta now sprawls over 20 counties in Georgia. A book was just published by Robert Bullard at Clark Atlanta Univ called "Sprawl City: Race, Politics and Planning in Atlanta".

Most of the people who live in Atlanta may not be aware of the consequences of sprawl such as air pollution, health risks (stress), decline of central businesses, suburbanization, educational decline and other social and economic factors. The businesses follow the rush to the suburbs taking with it the jobs and the better schools. It polarizes races to different sides of town while the more affluent neighborhoods (usually suburbs) get the better end of the stick.

Most of the new businesses are going to Roswell, Alpharetta and other sides of town leaving areas like East Point in devastation as far as economic stability is concerned. The inner city is facing sever blight. Children in Atlanta have higher rates of asthma, nose bleeding while adults face more stress because of their long commutes to work. People in Atlanta spend more time on their commute to work yearly than any other city. Adults also have a higher risk of heart attack from stress related issues. The travel to work cuts down on family time which has quality of life issues in itself. The majority of these issues affect minorities the most. Atlanta will soon lose Federal funding because they exceed the regulated amount for air quality according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

There are other cities like this such as Detroit, Boston and Charlotte.

Let me stop trying to give a snap shot lesson in City Planning. Although, I hope that now you understand why the ATL is not at the top of that list; however, I have no idea what BET based there criteria on.

I hope this helps.

Ideal08 10-31-2002 12:09 AM

Re: Top 20 Cities for Black Families

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Columbus, Ohio
CUT THE GAMES!!! See, I bet the unemployment rate is what boosted this bunk @$$ city to the top of the list. If nothing else, it is easy to get a job in Columbus. But I WOULD NOT raise my family in that bunk @$$, OSU Buckeye jockin' COW TOWN!!! NO WAY!! See, then recent college grads see this list, and move to one of these cities. They will get to Columbus and be str8 ticked off. (That made me think of Howie's teed off, lol). Columbus, Ohio. They know they need to quit. They have SERIOUS racial profiling issues there. Not like it's not everywhere else, but it is constantly in the news, politics, etc.

Y'all see me and CT4 jetted, right? LOL Maybe you gotta be from there to appreciate it.

CrimsonTide4 11-02-2002 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Top 20 Cities for Black Families

Quote:

Originally posted by Ideal08

CUT THE GAMES!!! See, I bet the unemployment rate is what boosted this bunk @$$ city to the top of the list. If nothing else, it is easy to get a job in Columbus. But I WOULD NOT raise my family in that bunk @$$, OSU Buckeye jockin' COW TOWN!!! NO WAY!! See, then recent college grads see this list, and move to one of these cities. They will get to Columbus and be str8 ticked off. (That made me think of Howie's teed off, lol). Columbus, Ohio. They know they need to quit. They have SERIOUS racial profiling issues there. Not like it's not everywhere else, but it is constantly in the news, politics, etc.

Y'all see me and CT4 jetted, right? LOL Maybe you gotta be from there to appreciate it.

LMAO @ you going off!! I can hear her saying this and that has me doubled over.

LOL @ jetted, bunk and OSU BUCKEYE JOCKING COW TOWN (they really do ride that school's jock strap).

Wonderful1908 11-03-2002 03:55 PM

I recently relocated from Baton Rouge to Houston, and I think that the oppurtunties are here for African Americans. It seems to be a large population of African -Americans doing their thing.

BlueReign 11-04-2002 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Top 20 Cities for Black Families

Quote:

I spent 3 years of my life there and when I came back home the only reason I wanted to go back to "COW TOWN" was because my friends had all gotten really good jobs out of college. But everytime I visited and thought about moving there I was thinking the same -- NO WAY!! I was surprised to see this on the list.

And Atlanta -- it has always been too large (in terms of area).

Gyrl7 11-04-2002 03:52 PM

I live in NY, and I am sure you all read or hear about our ups and downs whether you want to or not.:rolleyes: :D

lil_sunshine 11-04-2002 06:10 PM

Re: Top 20 Cities for Black Families

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Charlotte
Washington, D.C.
Philadelphia
Atlanta

These are the only cities that I'd give the time of day as far as aspiring and wanting to live in. JMHO....

Rain Man 11-04-2002 06:45 PM

Lookahere, Ideal08 & CT4, don't you be dissin' my hometown, now

Quote:

YOU DARN SKIPPY, IDEAL08!!;) You gots to be from here to appreciate it. Straight from a native born's mouth

NO OTHER CITY IN AMERICA has a majority black leadership for a majority white city (76% white, to be exact). In your defense, I can see why you wouldn't want to raise a family here. Because you (and CT4) are single and may not be able to see that Columbus is a very good city to raise a family. I will also say in your defense that this city isn't very conducive to singles when it comes to places to kick it, which IMHO is probably why First Fridays (and It's Just Lunch) is making $$ hand over fist with single folk.

I will admit that Columbus rides OSU's jock like....well, you fill in the blank. I have NEVER attended OSU (and don't plan to) I will be a Capital U. Crusader until the day I die, y'unnerstan?

Anyway, I will make allowances for yours and CT4s dissatifaction with my lovely city because in part because we are all young and single and I can see where you are coming from. But when you get married and start a family, I will have a couple of houses here ready with both your names on it. :D ;)

Now I will say that CT4 made IMHO a good choice in relocating. Charlotte is No. 2 on my relocating list. (Atlanta #1 and Chicago #3). DC I wouldn't move to for all the game shows in Hollywood.

Ideal08 11-04-2002 07:24 PM

Re: Lookahere, Ideal08 & CT4, don't you be dissin' my hometown, now

Quote:

Originally posted by Rain Man

YOU DARN SKIPPY, IDEAL08!!;) You gots to be from here to appreciate it. Straight from a native born's mouth

NO OTHER CITY IN AMERICA has a majority black leadership for a majority white city (76% white, to be exact). In your defense, I can see why you wouldn't want to raise a family here. Because you (and CT4) are single and may not be able to see that Columbus is a very good city to raise a family. I will also say in your defense that this city isn't very conducive to singles when it comes to places to kick it, which IMHO is probably why First Fridays (and It's Just Lunch) is making $$ hand over fist with single folk.

I will admit that Columbus rides OSU's jock like....well, you fill in the blank. I have NEVER attended OSU (and don't plan to) I will be a Capital U. Crusader until the day I die, y'unnerstan?

Anyway, I will make allowances for yours and CT4s dissatifaction with my lovely city because in part because we are all young and single and I can see where you are coming from. But when you get married and start a family, I will have a couple of houses here ready with both your names on it. :D ;)

Now I will say that CT4 made IMHO a good choice in relocating. Charlotte is No. 2 on my relocating list. (Atlanta #1 and Chicago #3). DC I wouldn't move to for all the game shows in Hollywood.

I knew you would respond!! :) This way, people can get the full perspective. Not for all the game shows in Hollywood?! :eek: That is a STRONG sentiment from you!!! The Columbus Public School system is in academic distress; last on the list in Franklin County. Gene Harris is doing a good job, though, I think. We'll see what happens after tomorrow. Let me know, ok?

And being a Capital Crusader might be cool, but being a WITTENBERG TIGER is even better!! ;) Ask Jeanette (sp?) Bradley! :D Oh, let me know about that, too!!!

Rain Man 11-05-2002 09:03 PM

BTW, Ideal08...

Quote:

Not for all the game shows in Hollywood?! :eek: That is a STRONG sentiment from you!!!

Speaking of which, the only other thing I don't like about Columbus is that they are not (and never have been) very game show friendly. Meaning other than Jeopardy!, WOF, and TPIR, a lot of my favorite game shows got wee hour time slots or never aired in the Cols. market at all.

I am still mad to this day that the local NBC affiliate pre-empted High Rollers halfway through the show's run (1978-80) to air some wack-@$$ soap opera called "The Doctors" The CBS affiliate did the same thing to "Whew!" (1979-80). Oh, and the local NBC affiliate pre-empted the entire run of the "Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour" (1983-84) for "Tom & Jerry". I literally had to visit my aunt Rozina in Pittsburgh during spring break to see a week's worth of episodes (thanx, Gramma). They didn't do that with "Santa Barbara" though (the show MG/HS Hour was replaced with--7/30/84). Now I can't see "Hollywood Squares" here in Columbus b/c Fox 28 dropped it, and from what I was told, it is a LOT better now.

Sorry for the rant, but that has always been one thing I hated about Columbus, it's clockblocking attitude when it comes to airing game shows.

CrimsonTide4 07-13-2004 11:13 AM

from July 2004 issue of Black Enterprise

Top cities for african americans were published in the july issue of Black Enterprise. It also lists the % of blacks in the city, the crime rate, property crime rate, unemployment rate for blacks, blacks owning homes, black owned business and much more.

10.Baltimore,Md

9.Columbus,Oh

8. Memphis,TN

7. Birmingham,AL

6. Charlotte,NC :D

5. Houston,Tx

4. Nashville,Tn

3. Dallas, Tx

2.Washington,Dc

1. Atlanta, Ga

Tidbits-

*In houston, you can get 24% more house for your money than you can nationally.

*washington d.c. has the highest percentage of black households earning over $50k

*lowest medical cost is in nashville

*Washington d.c's violent crime rate is 11% higher than the national average.

Honeykiss1974 07-13-2004 11:15 AM

Re: from July 2004 issue of Black Enterprise

Quote:

Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

5. Houston,Tx

3. Dallas, Tx

Just another reason why these two cities are high on my list of relocation spots. :D