GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UGA Recruitment Winds Down (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=98818)

GreekAlphaSoup 08-17-2008 07:59 PM

UGA Recruitment Winds Down

I've been volunteering all week at my daughter's house (not my own this week - it's been her first rush as a sister, not a PNM) and have totally missed out on how things are going (the BIG picture). Am I missing the posts? I've followed a couple of stories, but want to hear some specifics....After what I conclude have been some leaner years, her house has had great events! Amazing quality of sisters, strong show of sisterhood and lots of talent! Looked like the PNMs were top notch! Gives me great hope for the future of the greek system!!!

Can anyone share any details?

Thanks!

alum 08-17-2008 09:42 PM

A friend's daughter is a Georgia PNM. She has had full rounds and she is OOS. We're all looking forward to hearing her final destination.

axoalum 08-17-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekAlphaSoup (Post 1699716)
I've been volunteering all week at my daughter's house (not my own this week - it's been her first rush as a sister, not a PNM) and have totally missed out on how things are going (the BIG picture). Am I missing the posts? I've followed a couple of stories, but want to hear some specifics....After what I conclude have been some leaner years, her house has had great events! Amazing quality of sisters, strong show of sisterhood and lots of talent! Looked like the PNMs were top notch! Gives me great hope for the future of the greek system!!!

Can anyone share any details?

Thanks!

Hey Soup!

I was in Athens today, too. The PNM's look beautiful! (the actives at my house looked pretty good as well. Hee!) From my vantage point, looks to be another successful rush but I agree that it has been strangely quiet on the UGA front this year. I hope we hear from some moms who can let us know. Anyone??

IHeartUGA 08-17-2008 10:13 PM

the crickets are chirping...

it has been very quiet this year! someone needs to tell us how it's going! SOON!

ugagreekgrad 08-17-2008 10:29 PM

Well...I have been chatting with an out of state PNM. Hoping a good sorority would help her with her UGA experience. They get their bids tomorrow. She met many girls who did not have a lot of choices. They were cut and are making tough decisions. My PNM has been fortunate and went to three good prefs. It seems as if a girls has to know someone to get invited back. My PNM had recs and an amazing resume but still overlooked by many. It seems to very competitive. Six out of her 20 group dropped out before prefs. Okay, that is a little of what I know.
Go dawgs

UGAMOMof4 08-17-2008 10:47 PM

Waiting for more info

I'm thinking that recruitment was particularly tough this year...don't know why, but am getting that feeling. My DD was cut by my house after third rounds. It was by far one of her top two from the very beginning, even without legacy affiliation - a very well regarded house at UGA and very competitive. It was disappointing to say the least plus she was only invited to one pref party today. We are on pins and needles waiting to hear from her gamma chi if she did not receive a bid. I think we should know within the next 30 minutes or so. I give my DD a lot of credit for sticking it out. She likes her pref house well enough and thinks she would be happy there. It's unfortunate that so many girls drop because they don't get xyz sorority. If all the great girls (who dropped out) stuck it out and completed the process, just think how strong every house would be! I don't think anyone would deny that UGA has many, many amazing young women!

SWTXBelle 08-17-2008 10:49 PM

Oh, UGAMom - here's hoping for good news for your daughter. Hope she finds her home - hang in there!

barnard1897 08-17-2008 10:50 PM

Hang in there, UGAMom. I hope it works out for the best for your daughter. This is such a hard process to go through as the PNM but I think that for the moms it is even tougher to have to watch it all play out from the sidelines.

AuburnMom08 08-17-2008 10:53 PM

Best of luck to your girl, UGAMom. I am crossing my fingers for her!

UGAMOMof4 08-17-2008 10:58 PM

Thanks! This has been quite the roller coaster ride. I was not prepared for how competitive this would be for her. She is from out of state--not adjoining--which I think makes it a little more difficult. There are so few connections, if any, for out of state girls. With a highly competitive recruitment like UGA, I believe you just need someone on the inside pulling for you every step of the way. From what I can remember from the process many, many years ago, there was always someone pulling for someone from their hometown, cousin, etc. All that means is when the tough decisions come around regarding cuts/quotas, there are so many great girls who slip through the cracks because no one knows them very well. It's all good. My DD is pretty amazing. She will be disappointed if she does not get a bid, but she knows that she needs to move on. She has a very positive attitude and no resentment toward any sorority. Isn't that awesome?

SWTXBelle 08-17-2008 11:02 PM

Yes it is - she'll do great, I have no doubt. Fingers crossed for great news, though!

UGAMOMof4 08-17-2008 11:06 PM

I would like to hear more stories and input regarding UGA rush. This is so fascinating to me! Anyone out there with news?

icelandelf 08-17-2008 11:06 PM

I hear those crickets chirping too. UGAMom, all will be okay. Can't wait to hear the news!

I miss UGADad. That was such an awesome story (of many) last year :)

GreekAlphaSoup 08-17-2008 11:14 PM

While we are passing time, I'll give UGAMoms a story of hope and happiness. My dd got released from my chapter last year and after a few days of encouragement by me, my former roommate and another pledge sister of mine, we convinced her to accept her bid and hang in there. She pledged and began, slowly, to ease into greek life. It was a touch-and-go process for a while, but we continued to show her the positive side. She moved into house this fall and within hours glowingly said, "I love my sisters!" Each day grew stronger and stronger and you could see the sisterhood among the entire group. I had the pleasure of working behind the scenes in the kitchen during events and when I'd see her briefly, she GLOWED! Hang in there, moms. Encourage your girls. If they aren't where they thought they'd be (or where YOU thought they'd be) remind them of the love of a sisterhood...the support system...the good times to come. That's why we're here, right????

UGAMOMof4 08-17-2008 11:19 PM

Well said. My DH, also Greek, and I were just talking about the same thing. We think she'll enjoy it very much and, assuming she gets a bid, she'll be in a place where the girls really wanted her.