GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   MIT Sigma Kappa affected by "Muslim ban" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=225975)

ASTalumna06 01-30-2017 11:01 PM

MIT Sigma Kappa affected by "Muslim ban"

Sigma Kappa posted this on their Facebook page earlier today:

Sigma Kappa’s thoughts are with our sister Niki Mossafer Rahmati of the Theta Lambda Chapter at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Due to the recently-imposed travel ban, Niki was prohibited from boarding a Boston-bound flight over the weekend and is currently back home in her native Iran. Niki is a junior Mechanical Engineering major at MIT, served as the chapter executive vice president last year and holds a multiple entry student visa. Sigma Kappa is proud to represent women of diverse religious and ethnic backgrounds who come together to form a sisterhood whose values are exemplified by our commitment to “Live with Heart.” We sincerely hope the situation is resolved soon so Niki can return to MIT.

SoCalGirl 01-31-2017 10:30 AM

There was good discussion on the page, from members of other GLOs, of what GLO leadership should be doing. It seems likely that Niki is not the only member impacted by this issue across all of the organizations. Is anyone aware of other organizations making statements?

ASTalumna06 01-31-2017 04:08 PM

I just noticed that Niki commented on the post:

Quote:

Thank you so much for your love, help and support. I'm truly blessed to be a Sigma Kappa and have all these sisters who stand up to situations like this. Sending my dove love to all of you ❤
It's definitely refreshing to see (mostly) supportive, non-political responses and discussion regarding the situation.

I haven't heard of other GLOs making statements. I imagine that they would only if they had a member going through the same thing (but I could be wrong).

aephi alum 01-31-2017 08:28 PM

I'm an alumna of MIT. MIT is working hard to get Niki and other members of the MIT community who have been affected back to campus. President L. Rafael Reif sent an email yesterday to the entire community, including alumni, which started:

Quote:

For those of you who have been following the developments at MIT since Friday, I was hoping to write to you today with some uplifting news. Yet, as I write, we continue to push hard to bring back to MIT those members of our community, including two undergraduates, who were barred from the US because of the January 27 Executive Order on immigration. We are working personally with all the affected individuals we are aware of.
I've also seen an article on cnn.com about a student (from Iran, IIRC) who was admitted to the Class of 2021 and is now not sure whether he'll be able to attend.

My heart goes out to Niki and to every innocent person who has been affected by this ban.

DGTess 01-31-2017 10:15 PM

Sad for all innocents affected. Even sadder at how it was implemented.

But I wish we would refer to it accurately. It is not a "Muslim ban" despite what the press is saying. Read it. You don't have to agree, but please don't succumb to the hysteria.

ASTalumna06 02-01-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2426791)
Sad for all innocents affected. Even sadder at how it was implemented.

But I wish we would refer to it accurately. It is not a "Muslim ban" despite what the press is saying. Read it. You don't have to agree, but please don't succumb to the hysteria.

Right. I put it in quotes for this reason. Honestly, I really don't know what to call it. Saying it's a travel ban downplays it, IMO.

aephi alum 02-03-2017 10:01 PM

They're back at MIT!

Two MIT undergraduates return to US from Middle East

The undergrads are not named in the article, but, given that President Reif stated that there were "two undergraduates ... barred from the US", one of them must be Niki.

SigKapSweetie 02-04-2017 04:46 PM

Niki is safely back on campus! Thanks to everyone for their concern.

I agree that calling it a "muslim ban" is needlessly inflammatory. People are upset enough without perpetuating false information.

tallgreekalum 02-13-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2426961)

I agree that calling it a "muslim ban" is needlessly inflammatory. People are upset enough without perpetuating false information.

Please don't de-legitimize people's outrage. The stated purpose of it was to ban Muslims. It's affect was to ban Muslims. It exempted religeous minorities. If it walks like a duck.....

tallgreekalum 02-13-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2426961)

Please don't de-legitimize people's outrage. The stated purpose of it was to ban Muslims. It's affect was to ban Muslims. It exempted religeous minorities. If it walks like a duck.....

SigKapSweetie 02-13-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallgreekalum (Post 2427460)

Perfect example of needlessly inflammatory rhetoric. Don't use one of my sorority sisters as a pawn to further your own agenda. Just stop.

Sen's Revenge 02-14-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2427478)
Perfect example of needlessly inflammatory rhetoric. Don't use one of my sorority sisters as a pawn to further your own agenda. Just stop.

YOU are doing the most. Don't act like needlessly inflammatory TIMES don't call for this conversation. Get a grip.

DGTess 02-14-2017 09:55 AM

You're correct; times call for conversation.

Intelligent conversation requires facts, not rhetoric inspired by those who wish to inflame others.

Read the EO. Read the judge's order staying it. Then don't fall in to the trap of calling it what it is not; that helps no one.

SigKapSweetie 02-14-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge (Post 2427505)
YOU are doing the most. Don't act like needlessly inflammatory TIMES don't call for this conversation. Get a grip.

Stay in your lane. Also, you're wrong.

tallgreekalum 02-14-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2427478)

Your insistance that your point of view is not inflammatory and that mine is is the problem. I did not start the use of tour sister to advance an agenda, you did, and I responded.
A quick google search finds numerous sources starting on Dec 5, 2015, of Trump calling for a Ban on Muslims.
His own campaign website had the same call.
Yemen is 99.09 percent Muslim. Iran is 99.6 percent Muslim. Libya is 98 percent Muslim. Iraq is 94.6 percent Muslim. Rudy Giuliani was on TV bragging that Trump asked him to come up with a plan to ban Muslims.
You can deny it all tou want, but this is a Muslim ban in all but title. Your sister is just one of the many innocent victims of this policy.
We need to have a reasoned debate about our immigration policies. We need to discuss our changing security needs. But this needs to be done with reason, not with scare tactics.
My fraternity has become a much more diverse, accepting brotherhood since I was an undergraduate, and I believe that this is a credit to AD. My father was a victim of religious discrimination when he was young. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.