GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Newbie Questions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=70883)

Theo Fam 11-28-2006 01:16 PM

ok hallo 2 all.I am from greece and i wanted 2 ask u why all these univ.brotherhoods have greek letters(i always wondered).Secondly i wanted 2 inform u that we here in greece,have only political youth-student partys at our universities.Thirdly, lol i think that u pronocouate wrong the gr letters:).And sorry for my english,i use the famous greeklish style of talking and writing.THANX

greeklawgirl 11-28-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fam (Post 1363427)
ok hallo 2 all.I am from greece and i wanted 2 ask u why all these univ.brotherhoods have greek letters(i always wondered).Secondly i wanted 2 inform u that we here in greece,have only political youth-student partys at our universities.Thirdly, lol i think that u pronocouate wrong the gr letters:).And sorry for my english,i use the famous greeklish style of talking and writing.THANX

Hello...I am Greek-American and a member of a women's fraternity. Basically, the Founders of our organizations were all well-studied in ancient history and philosophy. When they founded our organizations, they based them on the ancient Greek ideals. It is done out of admiration and respect for our culture. And yes, the Greek letters are pronounced differently here, but that is because is how the alphabet is taught. I think many people here would have difficulty pronouncing many of the letters in the traditional Greek manner!

Theo Fam 11-28-2006 01:30 PM

Thanx:).i hope when i graduate from here 2 come for my post graduade studies to usa.And then i wanna be a member of these brotherhoods.
Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ.Τα λέμε

Θοδωρής Φαμέλης

greeklawgirl 11-28-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fam (Post 1363437)
Thanx:).i hope when i graduate from here 2 come for my post graduade studies to usa.And then i wanna be a member of these brotherhoods.
Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ.Τα λέμε

Θοδωρής Φαμέλης

You're welcome. I have two cousins who came out to the U.S. for their post-graduate studies--one went back to Greece and the other stayed in New York City. Kala Xristouyena kai evtihismeno to Neo Etos.

gulfcoastpt 01-04-2007 11:25 AM

Bama guy, Saban is on live tv as I type speaking for the first time as your new coach. Congrats!

gulfcoastpt 01-04-2007 11:48 AM

List of top 5

How bout this for a silly stupid newbie question: Where can I find a comprehensive list of the top sororities listed by school? Since all schools may be asking a little much, let's start with UVa, W&L, U of Richmond, Gettysburg, William & Mary and Vanderbilt? Seriously, in general, it seems the oldest chapters at each individual school are the most respected and most selective.

2PHIne_Print 01-30-2007 11:45 AM

Why are XYZ on campus, they not really Greek, They NOT A PART OF D9.
:mad: D9 WEREN'T THE FIRST GREEK LETTER ORGANIZATIONS, THERE ARE ACTUALLY 4 ORGANIATIONS THAT ARE CONSIDERED GREEK WHO WERE THERE WAY BEFORE THE 1ST D9 ORGANIZATION APPEARED ON ANYONE'S CAMPUS OR WAS THOUGHT ABOUT.:D

Drolefille 01-30-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PHIne_Print (Post 1391457)
Why are XYZ on campus, they not really Greek, They NOT A PART OF D9.
:mad: D9 WEREN'T THE FIRST GREEK LETTER ORGANIZATIONS, THERE ARE ACTUALLY 4 ORGANIATIONS THAT ARE CONSIDERED GREEK WHO WERE THERE WAY BEFORE THE 1ST D9 ORGANIZATION APPEARED ON ANYONE'S CAMPUS OR WAS THOUGHT ABOUT.:D

By 4 orgs do you mean 4 African-American organizations nationally?
on your campus?
In general?

Just asking :)

ImBetaThanYou 02-03-2007 09:48 PM

Heyyy um this is to everyoneeee who can give me any sort of answer:
I know what a sorority is, but it's the who that matters to me. I just wanna know what kind of people are in which sororities, like the "nerds" are in such and such, and the "preps/popular girls" are in whatever it's called. Personally, I think I'd be planning on looking into the preppy/popular sororities so any help that could be given would be very appreciated!! Thanks

Danielle

Unregistered- 02-03-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImBetaThanYou (Post 1394256)
I know what a sorority is, but it's the who that matters to me. I just wanna know what kind of people are in which sororities, like the "nerds" are in such and such, and the "preps/popular girls" are in whatever it's called. Personally, I think I'd be planning on looking into the preppy/popular sororities so any help that could be given would be very appreciated!! Thanks

Danielle

Have you even bothered to read the posts in this thread from beginning to end?

I hate to break it to you, but if you go into recruitment with a "I only want to be in the preppy/popular sorority" attitude, chances are you'll most likely walk away disappointed.

MTSUGURL 02-03-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Danielle

Um, you're kidding, right? Please tell me this isn't a real post.

DeltaBetaBaby 02-05-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTSUGURL (Post 1394271)
Um, you're kidding, right? Please tell me this isn't a real post.

I totally thought this was a regular poster satirizing a newbie question. I'm so naive.

AlexMack 02-05-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Danielle

Oh honey...no no no. Every chapter of every sorority is different-no two are the same. The preps/popular girls will be tri-delts on one campus and Pi Phi on another.
Go through recruitment with an open mind and you will end up where you're supposed to be.

ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl 02-18-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Danielle

Ew. :rolleyes:

KDISU 03-09-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenMarie (Post 1104635)
To vary it...

"I made this HUGE mistake by joining NPC ABC. I was forced to leave and now I want to try rushing again. Can I?"

It's still no.

At my school, once you sign a bid card and then either de-activate or de-pledge; you have to wait a full calendar year before joining another house.