GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   My fraternity is not in the nic but in the ifc (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246241)

Trusik 06-09-2019 12:16 PM

My fraternity is not in the nic but in the ifc

I recently got initiated two weeks ago and realized that I don’t fit in with the brothers or enjoy their company. Is there anyway I could re rush next quarter to an NIC frat since mine is not?

LaneSig 06-10-2019 10:36 AM

Most fraternities will not allow you to pledge and initiate if you have been in another fraternity, whether NIC, NP-HC, or MCGLO.

What made you pledge the fraternity that you joined? Was there a particular member you connected with? The reputation of the local group or the national fraternity?

What is it exactly that makes you feel that you don't fit in or enjoy their company now?

33girl 06-10-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trusik (Post 2466871)
I recently got initiated two weeks ago and realized that I don’t fit in with the brothers or enjoy their company. Is there anyway I could re rush next quarter to an NIC frat since mine is not?

The IFC is the school chapter...the NIC is the national governing body.

PGD-GRAD 06-10-2019 12:52 PM

^^^ This is what i thought, too. On a campus, most NIC chapters are members of the local Random State College IFC. Right?

navane 06-10-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2466878)
The IFC is the school chapter...the NIC is the national governing body.

I interpreted his post to mean that he joined a local GLO that is not in the NIC, but is a member of the local campus IFC. Though, he wasn't being very clear.

OP, I am curious why you went ahead with initiation if you weren't feeling it. I mean, it was all-good two weeks ago and then, after initiation, suddenly you don't like the men in the chapter? What happened?

SAEalumnus 06-10-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

What is the name of the organization you originally joined? This will help us confirm whether it is national, local, or what have you.

Tom Earp 06-10-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2466881)
I interpreted his post to mean that he joined a local GLO that is not in the NIC, but is a member of the local campus IFC. Though, he wasn't being very clear.

OP, I am curious why you went ahead with initiation if you weren't feeling it. I mean, it was all-good two weeks ago and then, after initiation, suddenly you don't like the men in the chapter? What happened?

That was my first thought! Of course Original Poster, if it is a local only, you have no worry except in why you Associated (?) with? Was it out of desperation or what? To be truthful, if you are staying on the same campus, and I was in IFC/NIC Fraternity, I would never accept you!:( You have sullied your self).:mad:

I do not want to get into name calling!:(

LaneSig 06-10-2019 05:11 PM

The following organizations are not members of the NIC:

Kappa Sigma (withdrew 2002)
Phi Delta Theta (withdrew 2002)
Lambda Chi Alpha (withdrew 2015)
Tau Kappa Epsilon (withdrew 2016)

The OP could be a member of one of these organizations. While they have all withdrawn from the NIC, they are usually members of the campus IFC.

Trusik 06-10-2019 06:23 PM

I’m in KE, so does that mean I can or can’t resign and be eligible to rush again

thetalady 06-10-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trusik (Post 2466890)
I’m in KE, so does that mean I can or can’t resign and be eligible to rush again

If you are an initiated Kappa Sig, I believe it is possible in the abstract to resign, then petition your National to release you from your commitment and then rush again. The chances of getting another bid.... close to zero.

navane 06-10-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trusik (Post 2466890)

Kappa Epsilon or Kappa Sigma?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2466895)
If you are an initiated Kappa Sig, I believe it is possible in the abstract to resign, then petition your National to release you from your commitment and then rush again. The chances of getting another bid.... close to zero.

If he is talking about Kappa Sigma, that is [as you already know] a very well-known international fraternity. Being in the NIC is irrelevant in that case.

33girl 06-10-2019 09:42 PM

I thought it was still possible to resign and get released from one NIC and pledge another - some of them, anyway. All in the abstract of course.

OP - first for the love of Mike, even though you may have seen the Greek letter sigma used like an E on cutesy t shirt slogans, its English equivalent is not that. You are a KS, Kappa Sig or Kappa Sigma. You’re not a KE.

A more popular fraternity does not need to pledge a guy who’s already been initiated into another fraternity, so if that’s part of your thinking at all it isn’t going to happen.

You’ve been a full member for just two weeks. You’re already initiated. Stick it out and see if it gets better. Because this is probably your only chance to be Greek.

fraternitynik 06-11-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

I don't think it matters whether you're in an NIC fraternity or not. Each has their own policies with whether they're willing to release members or recruit members from other fraternities.

In mine, for example, if we received permission from the central office of a member's old fraternity, we'd allow a chapter to initiate that man.

So it all depends on which fraternity you're in now and where you're trying to go, but the NIC has nothing to do with it.

PGD-GRAD 06-11-2019 10:41 AM

I always thought it was mostly about ritual. Once you had been initiated and experienced the secrets and mysteries of your chosen fraternity, that knowledge made you unable to ever pledge or be initiated into another group.

PhilTau 06-11-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

After you are initiated, there is really no practical way to resign your membership gracefully and join another social fraternity.

The comment about knowing the ritual and fraternity secrets is on point. In life, some decisions are irrevocable - this was one of them. Realistically, your options are 1) resign your membership, 2) if allowed, go inactive, or 3) figure out why you feel this way and make the best of your situation.

Keep in mind that each year active membership changes - people graduate, transfer, etc. So there will be new people each year joining. We have no way of knowing the reasons you feel you "don't fit in * * * or enjoy their company." Try to make friends with at least one other member. Maybe find one to be a roommate or, possibly, go to summer school and live in the fraternity house.