GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   finding your letters somewhere you didn't expect (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=21716)

kddani 08-07-2002 02:57 PM

finding your letters somewhere you didn't expect

I was just wondering some random places where people saw their (or another house's) letters.

Last night I was watching MTV Cribs- it was the drummer from Papa Roach's house, and his girlfriend lives with him and was helping with the tour. The camera did a quick shot on her DG paddle and a collage. Even though i'm not a DG, i get excited to see letters. :D

phisiggrrl352 08-07-2002 03:17 PM

haha, i thought i was the only one that noticed. (weren't they in the bathroom?)

you know how applebee's has local memorabilia hangin? well i saw a picture of a group of girls from a local college and one of them was wearing what looked like a phi sig rush shirt (it was a picture from track practice or something like that.) it was just funny because i was sitting down and happened to look up at the wall and there it was!

KappaTarzan 08-07-2002 09:51 PM

one day i was minding my own business driving down a highway in a town about an hour and a half away from my own when i looked at the overpass, and low and behold, my letters! apparantly the chapter up near there did it a few weeks earlier.. i was pretty excited :)

SigKapSundevil 08-07-2002 10:46 PM

About a year ago I was making the long drive from Charleston, SC (where I am from) to Phoenix to go back to school. I was somewhere in the middle of Texas and it was around 2 in the afternoon. There were barely any other cars in sight. All of a sudden a jeep came out of no where and passed me, and when I looked, there were Sigma Kappa stickers on the back the car and on the license plate. The girl must have seen the stickers on my car also, because as she drove by we both looked at each other for a moment and smiled. I have no idea what school she went to or anything, but it was pretty cool to see a sister out in the middle of the interstate with me like that!

hannahgirl 08-07-2002 10:47 PM

The Applebees in Akron has a FIJI composite picture hanging up above one of the tables. Panhellenic Exec was meeting one night and we sat at that table and looked up and happened to notice it.....kinda cool!

DeltaSigStan 08-07-2002 10:49 PM

I SWEAR that the judge on Law and Order Crime and Punishment is wearing a Delta SIg badge when he's in a suit. We know there's one in the SD courtroom but we don't know who.

Eirene_DGP 08-07-2002 11:06 PM

I was watching the Travel channel and on one of the commercials for the world's best theme parks there were two girls on the front wearing Tri Sig shirts.

nwsigkap 08-07-2002 11:18 PM

somewhere that you sure don't want to see your letters!

Well seeing letter's somewhere that you didn't expect....well, the worst one for us was on a different sorority (Sigma Alpha) during greek sing. One of their girls was a Sigma Kappa for a day (long enough to get a bid day shirt) about 2 years ago, and when they got to thier part about Sigma Kappa in their song she just happend to pop out in her old Sigma Kappa bid day shirt!:mad: Needless to say we were pissed and are going to start keeping better track of getting back letters of those who drop!

mgold 08-07-2002 11:53 PM

I saw my letters (sigma alpha) on Saved by the Bell the College Years a couple years ago. The only problem was that the show used the letters for a frat that Screech was rushing but it was still fun to see!
:p

chideltjen 08-08-2002 01:05 AM

Re: finding your letters somewhere you didn't expect

Quote:

Originally posted by kddani
I was just wondering some random places where people saw their (or another house's) letters.

Last night I was watching MTV Cribs- it was the drummer from Papa Roach's house, and his girlfriend lives with him and was helping with the tour. The camera did a quick shot on her DG paddle and a collage. Even though i'm not a DG, i get excited to see letters. :D

The girlfriend actually goes to my school and is involved with the chapter at CSUS. I don't know her personally but one of my friends from DG told me that one of their girls was dating a guy from Papa Roach. I didn't know which member of the band but everything got clarified. Their house is tight.

tkepunx 08-08-2002 02:00 AM

On an old episode of Saturday Night Live, they have a sketch based around a gameshow they call Food Sex and Cars. Will Ferrell plays a fraternity guy whos a contestant, and since he's a TKE, he wears his TKE letters. At one point he yells "TKE RULES", and the announcer from the gameshow says "Yes they do."

Phil
TKE, Sigma Chi chapter, UCD

UToledoFiji 08-08-2002 02:18 AM

Akron Fijis

Quote:

Originally posted by hannahgirl
The Applebees in Akron has a FIJI composite picture hanging up above one of the tables. Panhellenic Exec was meeting one night and we sat at that table and looked up and happened to notice it.....kinda cool!
I am going to have to check that out the next time we are in Akron.

Holly5425 08-08-2002 04:41 AM

nwsigkap...you go to Northwest?!? I am from MO and have a few friends who go there!! Anyway to stay on the topic, I think my town is all greek or something. I swear, 3 out of 4 cars have letters somewhere on them. Just within my group of good friends, there are 3 tri-delts, a pi phi, a DG, 2 DZ's, and a Theta...oh and of my guy friends, 4 are KA's, 6 are Lambda Chi, 2 are sigma chi's, and one is a beta...greeks are everywhere!!

Holly

CarolinaDG 08-08-2002 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mgold
I saw my letters (sigma alpha) on Saved by the Bell the College Years a couple years ago. The only problem was that the show used the letters for a frat that Screech was rushing but it was still fun to see!
:p

I think I saw that episode! He didn't get in, though... but Zack did.:)

And on one of the old Family ties episodes Alex is trying to get into "the" frat, "Alpha Phi Epsilon"... I happened to be on the phone with the guy I was seeing, who was Sig Ep, and when I said it, he even thought I said "Sigma Phi Epsilon"... I think they changed it just enough so that it wasn't a real fraternity, but wanted it to sound like Sig Ep.

If you look at the very beginning of Sorority Life, they flash Delta Gamma, but it's really quick, I was surprised I noticed. They flash another one with Gamma on the end (I think it's Kappa Kappa Gamma but it always flashes too quickly).

ShaedyKD 08-09-2002 11:52 PM

At the Bennigans closest to our school, there are huge KD and Sigma Chi letters hanging across from each other on either side of the foyer/entryway. In true Greek spirit, some Sigma Chis were there the last time a few of my sisters and I were having dinner, and they sent us a pitcher of beer. They're a bunch of sweethearts, and I can't wait to do homecoming with them (and Beta too, of course)!

The first time I saw Road Trip after I pledged, I got so excited when the girl goes to the University of Austin (or is it Boston? I haven't seen it in a while, so forgive me!), and goes to the Kappa LAMBDA house to find the girlfriend...at first glance I thought it was KD! Honest mistake for a new member :p

Oh, and I saw Cribs with Papa Roach too...why would you keep your paddle in the bathroom? I agree that it doesn't really go with the rest of the eastern decorating scheme in the house, but maybe in the study, or bedroom by her dresser of something?! It is really awesome that they showed it though!