GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Alumnae Initiate Chapter Names (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=34611)

Jen 06-02-2003 07:01 PM

Alumnae Initiate Chapter Names

Sistermadly 06-02-2003 07:47 PM

I was initiated by Beta Theta chapter of Alpha Phi, but I'm officially a member of Alpha Lambda chapter - the special chapter just for alumnae initiates.

bruinaphi 06-02-2003 07:57 PM

An alumnae initiate of Alpha Phi has the option of being affiliated with the collegiate chapter where she was initiated or the Alpha Lambda chapter. Alpha Lambda is a special chapter for AI.

Alpha Phi chapters are named Alphabetically by the Greek Alphabet starting with Alpha, and then in sequence with double letters of the Greek Alphabet starting with Beta Alpha. Alpha Lambda is the only chapter that is double letters that starts with an Alpha. The names of inactive chapters are held in reserve to be used only if a chapter is reestablished at the same college or university.

Alpha Phi has only deviated from this rule once with the Eta Chapter.

cutiepatootie 06-02-2003 08:03 PM

mmmmm i did not know that

So since i was initated with CSU San Bernadino i go by eta beta. what if you or could you go by both coll and Alum at the same time????

Laura

bruinaphi 06-02-2003 08:09 PM

Re: mmmmm i did not know that

Quote:

Originally posted by cutiepatootie
So since i was initated with CSU San Bernadino i go by eta beta.
Laura,

Your badge is engraved with chapter letters, your initials and the date on the back. If it says Eta Beta, go by Eta Beta. If it says AL go by AL.

LD

kateshort 06-02-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Alumnae Initiate Chapter Names

Quote:

Originally posted by ariesrising
I was looking through old posts and noticed that some sororities have special chapter designations for alumnae initiates.

"Alumnae Initiates are initiated as members of a new specially designated chapter-Omega Alpha."

Though if you were an alumna of a local that goes ADPi, you can be initiated as part of that chapter (or at least you used to be able to... dunno if that's still the case).

Beryana 06-02-2003 09:21 PM

As an AI of Alpha Omicron Pi I was initiated into the Beta Gamma at Michigan State University. AOII Alumnae Initiates are alumnae of the chapter they are initiated into. :)

Sarah

pinkyphimu 06-02-2003 09:26 PM

phi mu ai's are a part of the chapter in which they are initiated.

tcsparky 06-02-2003 10:16 PM

Alpha Xi AI's become initiates of the chapter that initiated them. I was initiated with the Iota Zeta colony, and I am considered an alumnae of that chapter. My chapter guard says IZ.

I don't know about Ai's at Convention though. Anyone out there know?

AlphaXiGirl 06-02-2003 10:48 PM

Women initiated at Alpha Xi Delta convention are initiated into the Alpha Deuteron Chapter.

CutiePie2000 06-02-2003 10:52 PM

In Delta Gamma, you are initiated into your nearest collegiate chapter, and become an alumnae member of that chapter.

Not sure what happens for Convention Initiates, to be honest with you.

Tom Earp 06-02-2003 11:43 PM

WOW, this is interesting. Never Thought about it. LXA AI is through the Local Chapter.

Thanks for the info!!:)

AlphaSigOU 06-02-2003 11:51 PM

Although there is no provision for alumni initiation in Alpha Sigma Phi except in rare occasions; recently there was an intitiation of a man who pledged Alpha Sig at one chapter but dropped out of college before he could be initiated; twenty-five years later he was accepted as a pledge again and initiated. Members belong to the chapter where they were initiated, though they could affiliate with another chapter. The only exception is for the status of Member-at-Large; that's only granted to a very small number of alumni who are college graduates where there is no chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. The son of the former Executive Director, who graduated from West Point, was made an M-A-L about 20 years ago, and is today a member of the Grand Council.

Sistermadly 06-03-2003 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lauradav
An alumnae initiate of Alpha Phi has the option of being affiliated with the collegiate chapter where she was initiated or the Alpha Lambda chapter.
Hm.. I didn't know it was an option. I'd love to be affiliated with Beta Theta - they're great women!

SmartBlondeGPhB 06-03-2003 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cluey
I was initiated into the Delta Upsilon chapter of Gamma Phi Beta, which is located at the University of Georgia. In Gamma Phi Beta, alumnae initiates affiliate through the initiating collegiate chapter.

I hope to receive my badge and, someday, a little DU guard.

I hope this makes sense and, please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)

Absolutely correct! All AI's are considered members of the collegiate chapter that initiated them.