GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fake/Phony Alums? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=117622)

BabyBearADPi 01-03-2011 10:27 PM

Fake/Phony Alums?

For formal recruitment this year, we had a supposed alum come to help us out. She seemed really nice and helped out a lot! But, later we found out that she tried to order a badge from our International Office, who had no record of her ever being initiated. This person claimed to have been initiated by our chapter but upon looking through old composites, she was nowhere to be found and other alums that would have been active with her had no memory of her! She added almost all of my sisters on Facebook and later started adding some women from another sorority at my university as well. Later, we found out that she was looking into adult initiation into that sorority.

So, I guess what I want to know is if anyone had ever had something like this happen at their chapter?

carnation 01-03-2011 10:32 PM

Oh no!

One of the sororities at MS State had a perp when I was there. This was a visitor who claimed she was from the U of Arkansas chapter. She had allll the paraphernalia and this was before eBay! But things she said about the Arkansas campus were all wrong so I told that sorority about my doubts and after messing with her about what goes on in initiation, they busted her.

Alumiyum 01-03-2011 10:33 PM

That is insane! I've never heard of that happening...who has the balls to do that?

IrishLake 01-03-2011 10:33 PM

Ooooo that would piss me the hell off. I think I've said it before, but I loathe perps.

carnation 01-03-2011 10:35 PM

I have mom shirts from all my daughters' sororities. I even feel like a perp when I wear those, especially when the sorority's name is bigger than the word "mom".

Alumiyum 01-03-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2016541)
I have mom shirts from all my daughters' sororities. I even feel like a perp when I wear those, especially when the sorority's name is bigger than the word "mom".

IMO that's no biggie. I've never bought my mom one, but I don't think she'd feel bad about wearing it if I did (she's in a different sorority).

The only time I've worn another sorority's letters (excepting as a child when I wore my mom's KD shirts) is on Bid Day when the recruitment counselors do their reveal. And I will say it is a WEIRD feeling to wear a different sorority's jersey even though mine is underneath, and it's WEIRD to see someone from another sorority wearing my letters. It wasn't any less uncomfortable the second time around.

Lafayette79 01-03-2011 10:50 PM

Years ago, we had two guys transfer in to our school (different years), who said that they were brothers. They didn't want to affiliate with us but only wanted to play inter-murals and hang out with us. Back then, the electronic verification that we have now was not available, so we let them hang out. Later, we found out that they had no connection to our fraternity.

So what did they gain? It makes no sense. They aren't even footnotes to us, just oddities.

U Go Glen Coco! 01-03-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi (Post 2016534)
For formal recruitment this year, we had a supposed alum come to help us out. She seemed really nice and helped out a lot! But, later we found out that she tried to order a badge from our International Office, who had no record of her ever being initiated. This person claimed to have been initiated by our chapter but upon looking through old composites, she was nowhere to be found and other alums that would have been active with her had no memory of her! She added almost all of my sisters on Facebook and later started adding some women from another sorority at my university as well. Later, we found out that she was looking into adult initiation into that sorority.

So, I guess what I want to know is if anyone had ever had something like this happen at their chapter?

Never happened to my chapter both when I was a collegian and later when I became an alum.

Whenever the collegiate chapter needs help, we usually get an email from the Alum Chapter president/liaison to the collegians. Once in a while we'll get Random Alum who just moved to the area who'll contact the collegiate chapter offering to help, but the collegians are advised to direct her to the Alum Chapter immediately.

In my experience as a member, an alumna just doesn't contact a collegian without going through proper channels. Exceptions are made for advisors and special relationships, like alum chums.

KSUViolet06 01-03-2011 11:36 PM

Never happened with us and I haven't ever heard of it happening anywhere else. Most of the perping I've discovered has been on the collegiate level.

Like Glen Coco said above me, it's the same for my sorority. All recruitment help comes from the local alumnae chapters, and all of those women are verified Sigmas who pay alumnae dues. Any random alumna who wants to help is welcome to do so, but we direct her to the alumnae chapter ladies because they are coordinating all the help that the collegians need.

I HAVE seen it happen where a woman who TERMINATED her membership years ago shows up to an alumnae chapter event or to a collegiate chapter to help out and it is found out that she's not a Sigma. Then she gets all upset because she somehow thinks that even though she terminated (and signed the termination paperwork stating that she is no longer a Sigma) she is still entitled to come help out or participate in events.

Ex: You terminated in 2005 and contacted the alumnae chapter concerning why you didn't get a Founders Day Groundbreaking invitation and are upset when told you're not a member anymore (as if you never signed those papers).

Chicago88 01-03-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2016541)

Speaking of that I saw a "Tri Delt Dad" shirt today in the airport. I wouldn't mind my mom wearing a shirt or two but when you have your daughers sorority letters and under neath it saying like "ZTA MOM" I find that weird. Like living vicariously through your daughter.

Alumiyum 01-03-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2016580)
Never happened with us and I haven't ever heard of it happening anywhere else. Most of the perping I've discovered has been on the collegiate level.

Like Glen Coco said above me, it's the same for my sorority. All recruitment help comes from the local alumnae chapters, and all of those women are verified Sigmas who pay alumnae dues. Any random alumna who wants to help is welcome to do so, but we direct her to the alumnae chapter ladies because they are coordinating all the help that the collegians need.

I HAVE seen it happen where a woman who TERMINATED her membership years ago shows up to an alumnae chapter event or to a collegiate chapter to help out and it is found out that she's not a Sigma. Then she gets all upset because she somehow thinks that even though she terminated (and signed the termination paperwork stating that she is no longer a Sigma) she is still entitled to come help out or participate in events.

Ex: You terminated in 2005 and contacted the alumnae chapter concerning why you didn't get a Founders Day Groundbreaking invitation and are upset when told you're not a member anymore (as if you never signed those papers).

Since I've been at my chapter/an alum of my chapter the only time a member who quit/was terminated actually showed up to help with recruitment I heard she was thanked for her willingness to help but was gently shown the door. It was odd too because it was a young enough woman that the majority of actives knew her and knew she had quit.

DDDlady 01-04-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2016538)
Oh no!

One of the sororities at MS State had a perp when I was there. This was a visitor who claimed she was from the U of Arkansas chapter. She had allll the paraphernalia and this was before eBay! But things she said about the Arkansas campus were all wrong so I told that sorority about my doubts and after messing with her about what goes on in initiation, they busted her.

I never heard that story! (I am a recent MSU alum so it may have been well before my time) That was one bold lady to try to pull that at State. The South is too small of a world to try to pull that mess. Would you mind PMing me the chapter? I am curious to know which one of our chapters it was. Some of them are smaller worlds than others.

carnation 01-04-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago88 (Post 2016588)
Speaking of that I saw a "Tri Delt Dad" shirt today in the airport. I wouldn't mind my mom wearing a shirt or two but when you have your daughers sorority letters and under neath it saying like "ZTA MOM" I find that weird. Like living vicariously through your daughter.

LOL! Well, I certainly don't need to live through my daughters, I have letters of my own! Most of these came through the chapters themselves as gifts on parents' days and others came from gifts straight from the groups' national websites.

However, the word "mom" somehow seems to be invisible to a few people, who come up and start doing cheers from that sorority or exclaim that they were an ABC at ThisorThat University.

AOEforme 01-04-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2016656)
LOL! Well, I certainly don't need to live through my daughters, I have letters of my own! Most of these came through the chapters themselves as gifts on parents' days and others came from gifts straight from the groups' national websites.

However, the word "mom" somehow seems to be invisible to a few people, who come up and start doing cheers from that sorority or exclaim that they were an ABC at ThisorThat University.

My mom has had that happen too, especially at the gym. My dad has never had that problem. :D

(Then again, these shirts are both t-shirts from Family's Day or the like, rather than stitched letter t-shirts....)

AOII Angel 01-04-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2016656)

Exactly...people forget that every chapter is different. In some chapters, there are VERY active parents'/mothers' groups that assist chapters for various events. The chapters thank them with Mother's pins (ta da...why do you think we have these?) or Mom/Dad shirts. Just because it's not a common thing on one campus doesn't mean it's a sign of a mother co-opting another group's letters. Check your org's store. I bet they sell them.