GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Transferring/lying about sororities? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227209)

lulubre 03-09-2017 10:16 PM

Transferring/lying about sororities?

hi guys. When someone transfers universities, how can they verify that they were actually affiliated with the sorority they say they were? I mean, if your new school doesn't have your chapter, what stops someone from saying they are in a new sorority/fraternity and just forging everything? One girl told me she did this when Phi Mu wasn't offered at her new school. She just bought a bunch of KD stuff and forged the form etc...

glittergal1985 03-09-2017 11:15 PM

What exactly are you asking? Are you saying that an initiate of Phi Mu hid that fact and tried to join KD?

33girl 03-09-2017 11:33 PM

The internet is forever. You will get caught. Next.

thetalady 03-09-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulubre (Post 2428656)
hi guys. When someone transfers universities, how can they verify that they were actually affiliated with the sorority they say they were? I mean, if your new school doesn't have your chapter, what stops someone from saying they are in a new sorority/fraternity and just forging everything? One girl told me she did this when Phi Mu wasn't offered at her new school. She just bought a bunch of KD stuff and forged the form etc...

I believe what you are describing is called "perping"... Trying to claim membership in an organization that you don't really belong to. Seriously? You think that we don't check our national records? Someone actually thinks we don't have lists of our initiated members that can be accessed in a nano-second? SERIOUSLY? That is seriously delusional.

lulubre 03-10-2017 11:04 AM

yeah

hi i agree. i was pretty shocked when she said she acted like a KD and they believed it...that's why I didn't understand why they didn't check her records...

AZTheta 03-10-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulubre (Post 2428683)
hi i agree. i was pretty shocked when she said she acted like a KD and they believed it...that's why I didn't understand why they didn't check her records...

Paperwork has to be completed in order to transfer (e.g. the transferring chapter has to sign off on a member, verify grades, etc. for the new chapter). You don't just show up and get accepted.

Of course you contacted KD to let them know they had an imposter. Right?

lulubre 03-10-2017 11:20 AM

It was after the fact....she had graduated when she confided that in me. She told me she forged everything.....

Shellfish 03-10-2017 11:45 AM

Not believing this for a second. When a chapter submits their membership list to national, the lack of a prior record would show up.

glittergal1985 03-10-2017 12:02 PM

I think I get it now ....an initiated member of Phi Mu transferred and claimed to be an initiated member of KD at the new school? For that to even be plausible, this would have had to occur before the age of social media and with MANY officers (both chapter and national) totally asleep at the wheel. In the event of a transfer, doesn't the new chapter have to contact the old one to ensure that the member left in good standing? Wouldn't paperwork have to be completed by nationals in order to update their system and change the transferee's chapter membership?

AZTheta 03-10-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulubre (Post 2428686)
It was after the fact....she had graduated when she confided that in me. She told me she forged everything.....

So you came here NOW to post this? And you didn't answer my question about contacting KD. Even "after the fact" (how convenient).

... pretty sure I know who you are ...

lulubre 03-10-2017 01:34 PM

hey now

Hey now...you don't have to be rude...I didn't even think to contact KD when she told me this. I was pretty shocked and surprised. And okay i'm 99% you don't know me. lol

FSUZeta 03-10-2017 07:32 PM

I would imagine all sororities work similarly to mine. If this person had somehow successfully convinced the chapter at her new school that she was one of them, and transfer paperwork had been delayed, it would have been caught when the membership list was submitted to headquarters for the semester. So I ain't buyin' it.

als463 03-11-2017 11:46 AM

This same exact question happens to be posted on that site in the Cornell section. That's odd considering Longhorn Mom's one daughter with the "successful" rush just happens to be at Cornell.

Sororitysock 03-11-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2428754)
This same exact question happens to be posted on that site in the Cornell section. That's odd considering Longhorn Mom's one daughter with the "successful" rush just happens to be at Cornell.

The only other school she posted the same message to there was UVA. Cornell has chapters of both KD and Phi Mu. UVA only has KD. How convenient.

AnchorAlumna 03-11-2017 04:53 PM

It's possible this person didn't want to affiliate with the KD chapter and owe dues and time. Maybe she just wanted to hang out with them and get some reflected glory.