GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Indiana University Tri Delta Closed (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227039)

clemsongirl 03-04-2017 04:18 PM

Indiana University Tri Delta Closed

http://fox59.com/2017/03/04/indiana-...ity-shut-down/

Just announced today. Wonder if any more information will come out in later reports. Hopefully their new members haven't been initiated yet.

Cheerio 03-04-2017 05:45 PM

No, they have not initiated.

Sister Havana 03-04-2017 05:57 PM

Wow! That is a stunner. I wonder what happened - especially since it was nationals that pulled the charter, not IU.

(To into perspective how rare this is: the last time an IU NPC sorority was closed was AOPi in the mid-1990s - maybe around 1995 or 1996. They returned around 2000.)

I wonder what's going to happen with their house. They have a beautiful old house on Third Street. I wonder if Nationals will keep it, lease it out to another group, or sell it. (I'm sure IU would just love to have that property.)

FSUZeta 03-04-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Havana (Post 2428414)
Wow! That is a stunner. I wonder what happened - especially since it was nationals that pulled the charter, not IU.

(To into perspective how rare this is: the last time an IU NPC sorority was closed was AOPi in the mid-1990s - maybe around 1995 or 1996. They returned around 2000.)

I wonder what's going to happen with their house. They have a beautiful old house on Third Street. I wonder if Nationals will keep it, lease it out to another group, or sell it. (I'm sure IU would just love to have that property.)

It's possible that they will keep the house and recharter in a few years.

Sister Havana 03-08-2017 08:09 PM

Here's a follow-up story from the IDS today. Surprise surprise - the change.org petition was started by the mother of one of the members.:rolleyes:

Cheerio 03-08-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Havana (Post 2428601)
Here's a follow-up story from the IDS today. Surprise surprise - the change.org petition was started by the mother of one of the members.:rolleyes:

fwap fwap fwap...and would Mommy have complained to 3D if her daughter had not been bid to tri delta? ;)

PattiV 03-08-2017 08:42 PM

It states that the chapter was on probation so they have had problems before the comments on the computer came up. The chapter knows more than they are telling the parents in my opinion.

Cheerio 03-08-2017 08:47 PM

Considering a lawyer has been looked into, sounds like Mom(s) has been on greekchat reading Kevin's posts regarding throwing the babies out with the bathwater/closing a chapter based on the actions of the naughty people and hurting the nice people.

33girl 03-08-2017 09:34 PM

I'll say it again - how are these girls not dying from embarrassment at their parents doing stuff like this?

Kevin 03-08-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Oh sweet baby Jesus.. I don't even care anymore whether Tri-Delt was in the wrong. Moms are lawyering up? What do they think they're going to do? Sue the school or Tri Delta to force them to open a chapter that the school and Tri Delt want closed?

https://media.giphy.com/media/2fs2I4ujlBf20/giphy.gif

Kevin 03-08-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2428604)
Considering a lawyer has been looked into, sounds like Mom(s) has been on greekchat reading Kevin's posts regarding throwing the babies out with the bathwater/closing a chapter based on the actions of the naughty people and hurting the nice people.

Well they may have glossed over the part where I always say that the organizations are private entities which can close chapters for good reasons or bad reasons and that's the final word.

What I'm usually talking about is public schools thinking they have more power than they really have.

ASTalumna06 03-09-2017 07:05 AM

Quote:

Wow, that was painful to read.

Our daughters are confused and sad! Please reinstate the chapter! You can't throw someone in jail and not tell them why!!!!1!!1!!!!!

AZTheta 03-09-2017 09:06 AM

Oh please. Here we go again. I've said this many times in the past, when chapters have been closed and their charters revoked by their headquarters, and there's an outcry of "not fair!" "wrong" "let's sue" blah blah blah. There but for the grace of God go you and I. We have all had painful chapter closings. We don't need to know the details; it's not our business (telling that to those parents). *annoyed sigh and eyeroll*

LOOK: no fraternity or sorority makes the decision to "pull" a charter lightly. It comes after all other interventions have been tried, often for several years, and have not succeeded. The women in this IU chapter know full well why the charter was revoked. It didn't come out of the blue, for no reason, on a whim.

Know this, too: it is painful for everyone involved, most especially those who have to make the decision to close the chapter. Trust me on this. Tri Delta is a stellar organization and I believe they made this decision after trying every possible solution to turn the chapter around.

The court of public opinion matters not. These are private membership organizations; they have their constitution and bylaws which regulate their actions. As long as they are following their own procedures and rules, the courts are not going to get involved. I've gotten a few threatening letters from attorneys and parents myself, and it all was for nothing.

In other words, the dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. Or, as my father would say (and I'd say to those members) "you burned your butt, you sit on the blister". Too bad, so sad. I've seen it too many times. The actives know why this happened.

shadokat 03-09-2017 01:51 PM

Dear Special Snowflake Moms - In case you weren't aware, Tri Delta is not governed by the United States Constitution. They are governed by their own system, and unless that system is in violation of laws of this country or the chapter's state, they can do whatever the hell they want to their chapter.

I say this to the actives that I advise all the time. Unless the sorority is breaking the law, sorority rules are what govern the organization. I had one girl who said to me that she didn't think it was fair that she wasn't allowed to vote in chapter elections because she was on academic probation. Her argument was that even prisoners in some states are allowed to vote. I said 1) we aren't voting for elected officials of the country, so the country's voting laws do not apply. And 2) prisoners are only allowed to vote in like Rhode Island, so go there if you don't like it.

I also had a 22-year old woman's mother call me 2 weeks ago because she felt that her daughter was being isolated from the group and excluded because she lost an election for a position. GIVE ME A BREAK! Let your adult children handle their own business for Pete's sake!

Kevin 03-09-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2428635)
Dear Special Snowflake Moms - In case you weren't aware, Tri Delta is not governed by the United States Constitution. They are governed by their own system, and unless that system is in violation of laws of this country or the chapter's state, they can do whatever the hell they want to their chapter.

I say this to the actives that I advise all the time. Unless the sorority is breaking the law, sorority rules are what govern the organization. I had one girl who said to me that she didn't think it was fair that she wasn't allowed to vote in chapter elections because she was on academic probation. Her argument was that even prisoners in some states are allowed to vote. I said 1) we aren't voting for elected officials of the country, so the country's voting laws do not apply. And 2) prisoners are only allowed to vote in like Rhode Island, so go there if you don't like it.

I also had a 22-year old woman's mother call me 2 weeks ago because she felt that her daughter was being isolated from the group and excluded because she lost an election for a position. GIVE ME A BREAK! Let your adult children handle their own business for Pete's sake!

+1+1+1

If this 22-year-old daughter thinks it's appropriate in any way to get mommy to fight her battles for her, mother has failed as a parent (unless your kid has special needs or something). This episode simply reeks of over-privileged little shits who can't process life sometimes sucking. What kind of future professionals/mothers/etc. are these parents trying to raise? How are these women going to interact with the world when they are in their 30s and 40s?