GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Pi Kappa Alpha (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Spring Rush Ideas (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=44626)

stoutpike 01-02-2004 10:21 PM

Spring Rush Ideas

Man we need some spring rush ideas. I am a new initiate and we had one of the best pledge classes in history at ecu and i don't want to have it stop with us. we are already the big swinging dicks on campus and i want to put the sig taus and phi taus in the place which is way down at the bottom. i want it to be where if an incoming freshman is thinking about going greek, he is thinking about going pike. so if you have any spring rush ideas hit me back.

in phi phi k a this is big stout

Firehouse 01-03-2004 11:34 AM

"Separation"

This is not my original idea, but I think it's a great one. You mentioned wanting to drive the other fraternities further down the food chain, and I think that's the energy you use to fire up the chapter for spring rush. My own chapter is going to use the word "Separation" as their theme for this spring and next year. The idea is this: we're already (the best/as good as anyone else) so now let's put some obvious separation between us and everyone else. That's a concept - a sports analogy really - that the Brothers can understand and embrace. Once you sell them on the idea of obviously moving way in front, then you tell them how it's going to be done: 1) pledge twice as many guys as anyone else this spring; 2) pledge guys on the big varsity athletic teams - they can carry the house name where no one else can; 3) pledge the guys who run student government and who aren't already in a fraternity; 4) set really ambitious goals for this spring and the next fall, with the idea in mind that "We already run our campus, so now we're looking to run the state. We want to be known everywhere as the best fraternity chapter in (where? Oklahoma?). Compete/compare with the Betas & SAE's (?) at OU and the Sigma Chis and Phi Delts (?) at Ok State!"
Selling the Brothers on a theme and a direction is the first step. Get them fired up and you're on your way. Good luck, and phi phi.

coastalpike 01-03-2004 02:00 PM

Rush Ideas

Whats up guys,

You have to make sure that everything that you do for rush is better than every other frat. When we have our meet the greeks night, we always make sure that we present ourselves better than everyone else by using powerpoint, flash, brochures, and more. We also make sure that by the time all of the rushes leave the room we have already proved to them that PIKE is the best on campus. Throughout the entire week, we make it mandatory for all the brothers to wear pike shirts on campus. Rushes will notice 70 guys walking around campus with PKA letters and they will see we have a strong prescence on campus.

As far as recruitment, make sure you guys have a rush retreat at the beginning of the semester. During this retreat you need to educate the entire chapter on how to rush and what to look for. You also need to make sure they are not afraid of asking guys to come out and rush. Also make it a challenge that every brother needs to rush at least 1 person, and keep track of who is rushing who. Give incentives to the brothers who recruit the most people. Also, talk to your pledge educator and try making it a requirement that every pledge is required to rush one person before being initiated.

The last important thing is a Good website. Our website is very informative and has a form for potential rushes to fill out. Last Fall we had 30 guys fill out the form before school even started. Also make sure that your site is better than everyone elses to give a good first impression.

Some Rush events we have done:

Billiards Night
Hooters Wing Party
Volleyball or Basketball cookout (look for the athletes)
Subs
Pizza Night
Par 3 Golf (really good one, pair 2 brothers with 2 rushes)

If I think of anything else I will put it up. Thanks.

PPKA

Rich

PikeRugby2002 01-21-2004 02:35 PM

Spring Rush

Our Spring Rush is extremely informal compared to fall Rush, which is huge and formal and organized. We cook out at the house and have "open house" every night for the week of rush. The key is member participation! Get a bunch of guys to the house and everybody have fun, play games, whatever. Rushees will want to be where the fun is. Girls at the house never hurt either. Don't just stay at the house though. After the cookout time and stuff start to wind down, different members take different rushees and go do something. Play poker, go clubbing, drink, watch some sports on TV, whatever - build relationships.

The real key to Spring Rush, is rushing all during the fall. Every party is a rush opportunity. Also, spring is a great time to rush Football players who didn't have time in the fall.

After bid day, we have a couple of weeks to give "open bids." We tell all of our guys who accepted bids to bring appropriate friends to the house that they would want to be their pledge brothers, but maybe didn't know about rush or didn't have time... This gives us a whole new crop of guys to choose from.

I hope that this helps.

Pike1483 01-22-2004 07:34 PM

Spring Rush

You can never go wrong with a good trip to your local Hooters.