GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Hazing? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127627)

sarajean94 06-28-2012 08:05 PM

Hazing?

IrishLake 06-28-2012 08:12 PM

"(None that actually happened at my house)" - What does this mean if you're not in a sorority yet?

Oh for the love... In my opinion, if anyone tells you that they personally were hazed like this and then they did nothing about it, they're lying, delusional, or both.

All national sororities (NPC) have strict anti-hazing rules, not to mention it's straight up illegal. Groups have a lot to lose by hazing. If you just say no to a hazing incident, then consider yourself smart and lucky. Why would you want to be a sister with people who would treat you that way?

sarajean94 06-28-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2155724)
"(None that actually happened at my house)" - What does this mean if you're not in a sorority yet?

Oh for the love... In my opinion, if anyone tells you that they personally were hazed like this and then they did nothing about it, they're lying, delusional, or both.

All national sororities (NPC) have strict anti-hazing rules, not to mention it's straight up illegal. Groups have a lot to lose by hazing. If you just say no to a hazing incident, then consider yourself smart and lucky. Why would you want to be a sister with people who would treat you that way?

Crap - I'm so sorry! I meant to say my university!
Haha, typo.. I was saying that the stories I've heard happened at colleges other than the one I am attending.

I agree with you about the I wouldn't wanna be a sister with someone who treated me at all poorly. I'm just nervous is all.

ASTalumna06 06-28-2012 08:32 PM

I won't lie to you and say that hazing never happens, but you're probably freaking out over nothing. And if anyone tries to make you do something you don't want to do, then walk away.

I was never hazed and I don't know anyone who experienced what you've described. Just relax and enjoy recruitment.

gee_ess 06-28-2012 10:49 PM

Do not worry about this. You have been watching too many made- for- tv movies.

And, as was stayed above, you walk away from anything that makes you uncomfortable.

MaryPoppins 06-28-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2155724)

What smells like Under the Bridge Troll?

AGDee 06-28-2012 10:57 PM

I was totally freaked about hazing when I was a "pledge" back in 1984. I had a whole list of things that I would not tolerate and that I promised myself would make me walk away. I cried the afternoon of our "Inspiration Eve" because I had grown to love these women and was going to be so sad that I would have to go my separate way when they tried to haze me that night. Well, they never did any of the things on my silly list. If they had, I would have walked away. But I didn't have to. I laugh now at how freaked out I was!

sarajean94 06-28-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2155770)
What smells like Under the Bridge Troll?

If you read what I stated earlier, you'd realize that I made a typo. Sorry about that.

sarajean94 06-28-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2155771)
I was totally freaked about hazing when I was a "pledge" back in 1984. I had a whole list of things that I would not tolerate and that I promised myself would make me walk away. I cried the afternoon of our "Inspiration Eve" because I had grown to love these women and was going to be so sad that I would have to go my separate way when they tried to haze me that night. Well, they never did any of the things on my silly list. If they had, I would have walked away. But I didn't have to. I laugh now at how freaked out I was!

That makes me feel so much better! I guess I'm just freaking myself out a little too much.